Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this swap possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this swap possible?

I am new to scene of Honda's. I just recently purchased a 93 Civic CX. I was shopping around for Honda swaps. . .and all my local speed shops want about $3200 for a complete B16a2/3 swap.

My questions is. . .is it possible for me to do the swap on my own? I have littlle/none experience with working on cars. I'm very good at following diagrams and instructions. Is there some website where I can get step-by-step directions on how to install this engine?

Also. . .is it absolutely necessary to have a "lift" when removing and installing an engine? Could I possibly do the swap in my garage with everyday tools?

Should I just go ahead and fork out the extra money to have someone else do it?

Thanks

[Modified by 93SSPHatch, 7:55 PM 5/4/2002]
Old 05-04-2002, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this swap possible? (93SSPHatch)

[quote]I am new to scene of Honda's. I just recently purchased a 93 Civic CX. I was shopping around for Honda swaps. . .and all my local speed shops want about $3200 for a complete B16a2/3 swap. [/ quote]
That's a decent price for a second gen B16a w/ hydraulic tranny, make sure it's COMPLETE!

My questions is. . .is it possible for me to do the swap on my own? I have littlle/none experience with working on cars. I'm very good at following diagrams and instructions. Is there some website where I can get step-by-step directions on how to install this engine?
I did my b18c swap out of my own garage, it took a while but it was worth it.
Go here for swap info... http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/index.html

Also. . .is it absolutely necessary to have a "lift" when removing and installing an engine? Could I possibly do the swap in my garage with everyday tools?
Yes, you will need an engine hoist/cherry picker...unless that is an "everyday tool" for you

Should I just go ahead and fork out the extra money to have someone else do it?

Thanks
It depends if you like a fast turnaround time or not. If so, by all means have someone else do it! But if you'd like to actually know the ins and outs of what's involved, there's no better way to learn than by doing everthing yourself. It was quite a learning experience for me to say the very least! Had alot of people help me out (see sig below) .

Good luck.

ditch the b16 and get a b18c. Torque ownz j00!
Old 05-04-2002, 03:41 PM
New User

Default Re: Is this swap possible? (Supersonic DC2)

i never used an engine hoist. just jack the car up, slide the engine under, then lower the car down
Old 05-04-2002, 04:21 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Is this swap possible? (ben_vtec)

I did my own swap and i never really did anything that "big" before, just a couple of starters, suspension, etc... If you have a little mechanical skill, then your in good shape. As for a lift, it really depends on how you want to take it out, Top or Bottom. Honda puts all thier motors in from under the car, but it is possible to do it from the top. Just take your time, and if you got any questions, then ask someone knowledgable here on H-T. Good luck.........