Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 04:20 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack swap question

Does anyone know if a Type R steering rack bolts into the EG chassis? And if so, how hard a job is it to replace it? The stock rack in my hatchback is starting to go and if I have to replace the thing I wan't to upgrade.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-13-2002, 07:56 AM
New User

Default Re: Steering rack swap question (92sleepR)

Anyone? I know someone has done this swap.

Mike
Old 05-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if a Type R steering rack bolts into the EG chassis? And if so, how hard a job is it to replace it? The stock rack in my hatchback is starting to go and if I have to replace the thing I wan't to upgrade.

Thanks

Mike
yes, it will work.
I've trialed this rack & pinion setup about a year ago on my EG, and I liked it for a while, then disliked it. The integra rack has a shorter wheel to wheel turning radius over the civic rack......but for left hand turns is where I began to dislike the integra rack.

For instance, there's this one street I would always make a left-hand U-turn on (when i had my civic rack) and i would totally clear the street making a single U-turn. Once I put the integra rack/pinion on and went to this same street, I always had to do a 3-point turn. I lost the ability to do a single left hand u-turn. That was the first thing that irritated me after a while. Left hand turning radius was shortened; didn't go as far as it would when I had the civic rack.

The other issue was keeping the rack lubed. This problem was my fault tho. I had a small resivour that I used to keep the rack lubed since I didn't have the hydraulic power steering system hooked up. When I would turn the wheel quickly, the fluid would spit up in the resivour and leak out of the cap and made a damn mess. I was going to use the actual power steering resivour, but then just said 'f'it', and yanked the whole rack out; put my civic rack back in. The leakin got to the point where the bottom of my car had a nice layer of power steering fluid.

...so thats my story of an integra rack in an EG chassis. btw, all of the 94-01 integra racks, RS, LS, GSR, ITR, etc, all share the same turn ratio's. None are 'better' than each other.

Old 05-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack swap question (Katman)

btw, all of the 94-01 integra racks, RS, LS, GSR, ITR, etc, all share the same turn ratio's. None are 'better' than each other.
Hrmmm...
I 'thought' (gets me in trouble from time to time) that the ITR had less turns from lock to lock.

Willis
Old 05-13-2002, 11:18 AM
New User

Default Re: Steering rack swap question (Willard)

Thanks for the info. I still have the PS system and i plan to keep it. The turning radius thing i'll just have to live with. The stock rack has to go though. its making an annoying clunking sound when i parallel park and i'm afraid its about to die completely. The car has over 200K. its about time to change it.

Mike
Old 05-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmmm...
I 'thought' (gets me in trouble from time to time) that the ITR had less turns from lock to lock.

Willis

Nope.
ITR has the same turn ratio as all other 94-01 integra's.
It's funny how people think that though..heh..
Old 05-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I still have the PS system and i plan to keep it. The turning radius thing i'll just have to live with. The stock rack has to go though. its making an annoying clunking sound when i parallel park and i'm afraid its about to die completely. The car has over 200K. its about time to change it.

Mike
you sure that clunking noise is the steering rack? it could be worn ball joint ends or loose suspension parts....you bother checkin other things besides blamin the rack+pinion?
Old 05-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack swap question (Katman)

ITR has the same turn ratio as all other 94-01 integra's.
It's funny how people think that though..heh..
Even stranger...

My ITR brochure says that the ITR has a 15.7:1 steering ratio.

The best GSR's info I could find was a 16.1:1 ratio (not from a sales brochure... but a web site)...

Will
-who wonders what is up and searches for the tr00f
Old 05-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go look in helms, you'll see they're all rated the same.