Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short block question???help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short block question???help

im in the market for either a 2000 USDM ITR or SI short block, and i was wondering what i should be looking for when i examine a short block externally? Is it true that as long as the block can be cranked smoothly with minimal force with a wrench that the interals (crank, rods, pistons, and caps) are in good condition? And if anyone is selling please let me know your price and whats up.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short block question???help (xhatchracerx)

nobody with infinite knowledge out there?????????
Old 03-06-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: short block question???help (xhatchracerx)

Well its really hard to judge a shortblock. Mostly look for cyclinder scores if anything and look for carbon buildup on the pistons, there is no realiable way to judge a shortblock. In the case of a longblock, get a high powered air gun and do a compression test using the gun to tunr the motor over. Compression test will tell how good the valve seals and piston rings are and if they are decent than 90% of the time then the motor is a good buy! latez
Old 03-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short block question???help (drumking15)

Well its really hard to judge a shortblock. Mostly look for cyclinder scores if anything and look for carbon buildup on the pistons, there is no realiable way to judge a shortblock. In the case of a longblock, get a high powered air gun and do a compression test using the gun to tunr the motor over. Compression test will tell how good the valve seals and piston rings are and if they are decent than 90% of the time then the motor is a good buy! latez

Air gun? are u joking me?
The only way to compression test a motor is while its still in the engine bay, using the starter motor to turn over the motor, unless you have special setup that can brace the motor. An air gun wont turn the motor over fast enough to give u accurate results, and is pointless.
And he is looking for a short block. Bring a head bolt, or ask to borrow one, test all the threads to make sure none of the head bolt threads are damaged, totally kills a block. Carbon buildup doesnt matter much either, after a few thousand miles, the piston is totally cover'd, just LOOKING at carbon buildup cant tell you jack **** about a motor. Look at the cylinder walls, thats where your money is. There is the ring ridge where the rings of the pistons stop, it creates a ridge which can be felt with your finger if it has stupid high milage. Carbon builds up there aswell, so make sure its clean before u check the ring ridge, then there is the cross hatch pattern from the factory hone. Check to make sure you can still see the cross hatch pattern. Also check for scraps and rust on the cylinder wall, you want the cylinder wall to appear very clean. You should be able to turn the motor over with ease, and with smoothness, no strange grinds, or clunking
I hope this helps.

[Modified by irev210, 9:46 PM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: short block question???help (drumking15)

wtf? just as irev210 has stated. inspect all that he has posted above.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short block question???help (irev210)

bump on the info, for a while there i thought nobody was going to respond.