Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Problems!!!! Help

Old 04-10-2003, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifting Problems!!!! Help

I have a 1997 Civic Coupe with a 1995 GSR Motor. I swapped engines about two years ago. Recently I changed out my centerforce clutch/flywheel for a strong ACT and Fidanza flywheel. After the install, the shifter wouldn't shift. It felt like the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way and I was trying to put it in gear without using the clutch.

So we figured it out to be SLave cylinder was stuck. I took it apart and played with it for a while and it seemed ok. Put everything back together and put 890 flawless miles on the car.

I got a HASPORT shift linkage the other day just cause I always had problems with my original linkage. Looked like previous owner cut original apart and welded it back together.

After I put the shift linkage in, I get the problems with the shifter not wanting to shift as if I'm trying to shift without pushing the clutch down. I played with slave cylinder agian and it didn't help.

Do you guys think my slaved cylinder is fuct or is it something else???

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to be detailed.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (mike1114)

You bought a HASport shift linkage for a 97 Civic? To my knowledge HASport only designed the linkage for 88-91 Civic/CRX's with B series motors. And the cut and reweld method you are talking about is what a lot of people with the same year cars do using the 90-93 Integra linkage.
If HASport makes the linkage for a 97 Civic then I would be surprised. If you are using the EF shift linkage which I didn't think was possible, then that's probably the source of your problem. The proper shift linkage for your car and setup would be the 94-01 Integra linkage or 99-00 Si linkage.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (VTECVillain)

I have the GSR Linkage, it is the one that was cut and re-welded.

Hasport makes linkages for all kinds of swaps. I bought the one for a 96-98 civic that has a "B" series engine.

It is definitely not the linkage, I had the problem with the GSR linkage too. But like I noted above, I DROVE the car 900 miles after the clutch install, no problems. Then all of a sudden.........no shift.

It will shift if I force it into gear. The problem is the clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging the plate from the flywheel, and I don't know why.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, need help on this bad!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, need help on this bad!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one more bump for the day.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Things to check:

Clutch Master Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
Throwout Bearing slipped on input shaft
Bent fingers on pressure plate
Bolts backed out on pressure plate
Old 04-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VTECVillain thanks for the hints.

I just got done checking slave cylinder. I don't think its the problem. I bled the system for quite a while past when air stopped coming out.

Do you think the throwout beraing would come off? After working for almost 900 daily driven miles?

Would the car start if the bolts backed out of the plate? I can start the car fine. And when the car is off I can shift just fine. Just not when the car is on.

thanks in advance for any more input
Old 04-10-2003, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VTECVillain is like a walking tech document. lol
Old 04-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (RangerDan)

bump

anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (RangerDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VTECVillain is like a walking tech document. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;-------- Pops open the electro panel in his forearm...... "What problem are you having? "Please make a selection...." LOL
Old 04-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got done checking slave cylinder. I don't think its the problem. I bled the system for quite a while past when air stopped coming out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same symptoms with a 96 DX with JDM B18C swap. Now keep in mind that you put about 900 miles on your setup but this was on the road less than 2 weeks. I bled the clutch more than 100x's, changed out 2 different slave cylinders and used another master cylinder I had laying around. It would bleed out fine but I wouldn't get full pedal travel or pressure.
I could shift through all the gears with the car off. Then I could also start the car with it in neutral but then I couldn't shift into gear, but on jackstands I could if I did it kinda hard. Then the wheels would spin in 1st even if the pedal was all the way in.
I tried everything outside the car because I didn't want to pull the tranny off. After I did pull it down, the problem was staring me in the face.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you think the throwout beraing would come off? After working for almost 900 daily driven miles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is very possible. That was part of the problem with this car. I built it for a friend and he hammered on the clutch like there's no tomorrow. It was a JDM B18C with JRSC and he punished it!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would the car start if the bolts backed out of the plate? I can start the car fine. And when the car is off I can shift just fine. Just not when the car is on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Verdict: There was a few slightly loose bolts on the pressure plate, bent fingers on the pressure plate and a throwout bearing that was disconnected from the bottom part of the engagement arm.
Solution: Changed from Clutch Masters to Heavy Duty ACT Street Kit, applied thread lock to pressure plate bolts like I should've in the first place, told my friend to take it easy because I wasn't doing this again... ever!
Old 04-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I could shift through all the gears with the car off. Then I could also start the car with it in neutral but then I couldn't shift into gear, but on jackstands I could if I did it kinda hard. Then the wheels would spin in 1st even if the pedal was all the way in.
I tried everything outside the car because I didn't want to pull the tranny off. After I did pull it down, the problem was staring me in the face.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the exact **** mines doing!! so when you said you pulled the bellhousing and the problem was staring you in the face, it was the throwout bearing right?

Damn, I don't have time or enough friends willing to help to pull this off again.

looks like I gotta find time.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulled tranny off last night/today, throwout bearing didn't look like it was on right, not sure though. But I pulled the bearing and lever off and then put back on like supposed to be anyway. Put everthing back together and I still can't shift into gear when the car is on and the clutch is pressed. Pulled slave cylinder off and took it apart again and everything still looks ok.

Does anyone know what to look for if clutch master cylinder went bad? Would it leak? If so, mine is NOT leaking.

I also tried anjusting the clutch pedal and that did not help.

anyone got any ideas? I'm totally lost now on what to do.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:33 AM

Ii had the same problem when I did my obd-1 92 hatch swap. What I did was as soon as we got all the bugs worked out I was beating the **** out of the car in the rain and I fried the OE clutch fried. i had to change it. Also, if your clutch is ok, you are going to have to bleed the Slave backwards. They have tools you can bhuy for this at most auto parts stores. That is the only way to be 100% sure if it is bleed. If not that, How Hard did you tighten the bolts on the new linkage, LOL. Good luck
Old 04-13-2003, 07:57 AM

Mike my car is doing same **** pretty much. Mine drives but it soo hard to put into gear. When car is off then it shifts into gear like butter. Sigh i dunno where to start. Gonna mess with it this week sometime hopefully
Old 04-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (ZigenGSR)

how bout the pin the the shift linkage... that will prevent you from shifting.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (purek9hybrid)

pin in the linkage? What is that? Do you mean the pin that connects the linkage to the tranny? Yes I put it back in.

Also, I just put in a XTSS ACT CLutch about two weeks ago. Then drove the car 900 miles and then this happened.

I also looked at all bolts, flywheel, and plate, all were still completely tight.

Does anyone know what will happen when a clutch master cylinder stops working? does it leak? Or are there other signs?

ziegengsr, it sounds like your tranny synchro's are bad. Thats probably why you can't shif when car is on, can't match rev's between gears.

Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 AM

well it sounds like pretty much the same prob you are having then lol. If my trans is bad then someone owes me a new one. I havent beaten on this car yet since the swap and then this **** happens. I had a friend tell me that it was the clutch because he said when he pushed the clutch in while rolling and revved it the clutch felt like it was still trying to grab. I dunno imma check it out this week
Old 04-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting Problems!!!! Help (ZigenGSR)

one big difference is you can actually drive unfortunately I can't. Did you try adjusting your clutch pedal? Once I had a problem where If I had the clutch pushed down and I put it into any gear, with the clutch still pushed in, the car would move. I adjusted the pedal and it stopped.

Still wish I could figure out why I cannot shift at all when the car is on.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump anyone ideas?

I'm starting to lead towards my Clutch master cylinder. Its like the only thing I haven't replaced.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked clutch master cylinder up brand new at lunch today from Trangle Auto in Winter Park, Florida. Only $48 dollars!!!!!

Gonna swap out tonight, hopefully thats the problem
Old 04-16-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course my luck, Clutch Master Cylinder wasn't the problem. Now I'm so completely lost on what to do.

Still can't shift. Replaced everything shifting wise, shifter, shift linkage, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder internals. Pulled tranny clutch lever, clutch, flywheel looks great (brand new).

Only thing I can think of now is tranny gears. But wouldn't the car not shift at all if this was fucked up? I can shift great when the car is turned off. I bought a tranny from a reputable guy used like 6 months ago and it's worked beautifully.

Now no freaking shift, somebody please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-16-2003, 07:26 AM

Man you are starting to scare me
I dun want anything to be wrong with my tranny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting Problems!!!! Help