Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the new baby...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the new baby...

Hi all. As some of you may or may not know i just finished a b16a swap into a 90 crx si. Im having a few problems with it.... 1. My transmission seems to be a bit noisy....I have the y1 tranny and even though it sucks for highway i love the accelaration... It just seems to be a bit gearish sounding if that makes any sense to you at all....Maybe not enough of honda mtf? I put a couple quarts in and it doesnt seem to be full enough....where am i filling it to? Or better yet what plug do i pull out on the side to check....the one with the allen key hole or the 4 sided 3/8 socket hole? Just wanna know...

2. My clutch pedal feels kinda shitty....i had to modify my old si trans clutch cable guide thingy to my y1 trans.....the bracket on the tranny was too tall for the cable....I bought the 90 integra cable as i was told and it still didnt seem to fit right....needless to say my clutch feels like ****. But it still hauls ***

3. My clutch slips....i dont know if this is because of the way the clutch pedal is adjusted or if i actually got a dud clutch....it would suck to have to change it already,considering i just spent a healthy portion of my time doing the swap.

4. When im getting up to about 5 or 6k the battery light comes on....i have no idea why and it just started doing that recently....like tonight while i was out on the e-way.it stays on till im back under 5......I am using my stock alternator from the original d series pos....maybe that is why.Any ideas?

5.When i get into 7-8k territory the thing starts to hesitate a bit.....like it sorta jerks and goes and such....like its having a hard time getting up to that point...im not up there often unless.....

Other than that ive fixed most everything....SO far im loving the hybrid and the now so well deserved power that i now have.....no car is a challenge and i just blow right past em....my friend with a 20 psi talon was very impressed so honda must be doing something right. The vibrations are a bit unbearable at times but that just adds to the charm of the car. I now have the coolant and temperature issues under wraps and things seem to be keeping together just fine.....the car warms up pretty quick but stays at a reasonable temp even when im driving hard....I now love this car more than ever.

Sorry if this was too long but im sure many of you have been in my shoes.Later all.~Ryan~
Old 10-26-2002, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problems with the new baby... (1990CrxSi)

Once you invest that much money in a car it will never be running right. There will always be 'little things'. Hell, it's been a year and a half, coming up on two years since I did my swap, and there's still tons of little things... I still don't consider the swap really done

1. Gear noise...? You pull out the upper of the two bolts. The bottom one is the drain plug, the top one is the fill hole. No idea how much to put in, just pour till it comes back out.

2. I modified the clutch cable by cutting a portion of the rubber out of the center. That lengthens the wire on the end. Or rather, the tranny shop did it. I'd given up at that point when I finally got the car running, two months later, and I could put it into gear while running without using the clutch (absolutely no gripping power... it was always disengaged). I still don't know what I did wrong. Overtightened the bolts? Put the disc in backwards? Who knows.

3. Is this related to #2? Can't really help here.

4. Original D-series is underpowered for the B16... you need a del Sol VTEC or '92-'93 'Teg GSR alternator. Or so I hear. Luckily I haven't had to touch it yet.

5. That's very, very weird. Is there a problem with VTEC? Have you checked the oil screens and such?

And finally... you will never have enough power
Old 10-26-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Problems with the new baby... (1990CrxSi)

well good to hear that its running and stuff , what was wrong with the clucth cable you bought?? have you adjusted it at all?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Problems with the new baby...

Whats up. Yeah i did adjust the clutch cable and i have been for a couple days....still feels weird. I did modify the original d series clutch cable guide dealy to fit on the y1 trans...Maybe i need to put the old one back on and cut a bit of the rubber out of the cable?

As for the alternator that is weird....It doesnt do it anymore....hmmm

I dont think my tach is accurate anymore either.....hmmmmmm

Anyone car to shed some more light on this topic?

Thanks. Ryan

Update- My clutch took a ****.....thats the problem.....back to the garage again.

[Modified by 1990CrxSi, 8:37 PM 10/27/2002]