Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to....

Im doing a H22 engine swap on an EG civic hatch and am wondering if it is easier to lower the car down on to the engine (with the engine on a pallet prehaps?). I have an engine hoist and have read it is easier to remove the crank pulley so there is more clearance when dropping the engine in from above so this is still an option of course.
The only problem is I dont have ramps to lower the car down onto the engine with so I was wondering.... If I get the existing engine out, could I (with the help of a few buddies) life the car high enough to clear the H22 on a pallet? Its pretty ghetto but im sure someones gotta of done this (or simalar).

Cheers
Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to.... (djnikko)

I did my swap on my hatch in a fully equipped shop with nice hydraulic lifts and everything. It works just as well coming from the top down, if you angle it right. If you don't have an actual car lift, it'll be MUCH easier to drop it in from the top.

Just out of curiosity, are you suggesting that you and your friends physically lift the car in the air, and someone else slides the H22 on a pallet underneath? You must have some large friends!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to.... (djnikko)

when i did my h22 swap on my del sol i used the engine hoist to raise the car up slid the engine and tranny under lowered the car back down used the engine hoist to raise the engine into place i lefet the crank pulley on but the engine mount and top tranny mount were already bolted to the car
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to.... (superfast666)

Thanks guys

I think I shall do what you did superfast, kinda a compromise between the two methods.

Chem geek I was suggesting that we lifted the front of the car only and wheeled it over the engine/pallet. But I dont need to bother my friends if I do how superfast did it
Out of interest what part of the chassis did you attach the hoist to when lifting the car? Im guessing you'd use chains or thick rope around the crossmember but Id be unsure of wat else to attach it too

Cheers