Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!!!!!!!!!Please Help With Oil Leak Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!!!!!!!Please Help With Oil Leak Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was screwing around and raced some hatchback tonight and took it to 8000 in first gear as usual and was already pulling him so i shifted into 3rd at about 7500 when i shifted i heard a pop and my friend behind me saw a flame. NOW, the problem is that after about another two blocks of fine normal driving i hit a red light and my car was smoking crazy. I pulled into a gas station and popped the hood, tons of smoke of the oil variety was burning of the exhaust on the firewall side of the engine. After about 3 minutes of sitting it stopped smoking and there was a puddle of oil on the ground about 1/2 a quart. I started it up and it wasn't smoking anymore, added some oil and make a bonzai for home, stopping half way to add more oil sinse it was smoking like crazy the hole time i was driving.
my car is an 88 hatchback with b18a block with b16a tranny and head.

*****SO, the problem is that my car runs fine but is pouring out oil from somewhere on the back of the block or head but it's guarenteed not the oil line, it was the first thing i checked. I even pulled the intake manifold off just now and i cant see any point of leakage, just oil splattered everywhere.

In a LS headgasket are there small holes just for oil gallies towards the back center of the head. It's the only other thing I can think is that there is a leak in the headgasket not into the cylinder but out of the back of the head/block.

Any input is appreciated truly. I was planning on driving home tommorrow morning from san diego to Reno. Thanks a ton!

Old 06-22-2002, 04:59 AM

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!!Please Help With Oil Leak Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (H

Wouldnt it be easier if you can take the motor out and then look for where the leak is? Maybe a small mirror might help you find the leak/
Old 06-22-2002, 10:39 AM

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!!Please Help With Oil Leak Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (H

i tried the mirror and can't see any oil coming from anywhere on the back of the block. i checked the oil line, the oil filter, i don't even think it's the headgasket anymore cause i'd be able to see it dripping down the block. i'm going to check the oil pan and gasket. any info or input is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the leak my friend had... his was coming from his head and had to take off the head to fix it. It was coming from the plug he had to put in the vtec oil line. So you might start looking there. Good luck hate to see this stuff happen to someones car.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:16 PM
New User

pressure wash your engine, that should make finding the leak a little easier. good luck