Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?!

i recently bought a 96' jdm itr motor for my del sol. i beat on the car a lot with frequent tachometer trips over 8000rpm. i heard its normal for these engines to sip some oil with consistent spirited driving. if i beat on it more than usual i can use almost a quart within 500-750 miles. the engine doesnt leak fluids anywhere and does not smoke at all during start up or under hard acceleration, so what should i do about this? is this normal? if you think there is a problem where should i start to look for it?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (redline870)

omg!

.Use the search
Old 09-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (Bbasso)

dude i tried the search! every one says oil control rings or pcv valve. i already replaced the pcv valve. and if it was the oil control rings dont you think it would be smoking during driving or hard acceleration?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">every one says oil control rings or pcv valve. i already replaced the pcv valve. and if it was the oil control rings dont you think it would be smoking during driving or hard acceleration?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hrmmm... everyone says the same thing, well my guess would be WE all have the same problem and same fixes.
Seeing the smoke from the exhaust, not always...
Unlike my car
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... and if it was the oil control rings dont you think it would be smoking during driving or hard acceleration?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm, yeah.
Apparently it is!
Look in your rearview or while it's on the dyno at redline for a bit!

On an unrelated note, hey Bbasso, what's up?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (Zygspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On an unrelated note, hey Bbasso, what's up? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Not much and not much gas in the CLT area either
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (Zygspeed)

so you think its normal? cuz even when i look in the rear view at 8 grand i still dont see any smoke.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you think its normal? cuz even when i look in the rear view at 8 grand i still dont see any smoke. </TD></TR></TABLE>

At 8000rpm don't you think you should be looking foward?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude can some one just give me a straight [freak]in answer
Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 PM

I did, TWICE.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the search</TD></TR></TABLE>
&<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hrmmm... everyone says the same thing, well my guess would be WE all have the same problem and same fixes.
Seeing the smoke from the exhaust, not always...
Unlike my car </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no u gave me smart *** responses. i just want to know if it is normal or if u think i have bad rings
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, it's not normal unless you're ALWAYS in vtec. I went through a quart of oil in about 100 miles on track. For street driving, I went through a quart every 2000-2500 miles. Hell, it could be the oil rings or it could be the valve seals in your engine. I have no idea.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">smart *** responses. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Welcome to the ITR forum... Or go to the hybrid section where this really belongs and see how they respond to your question.

Again, welcome to the ITR forum
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (garados)

thanks garados but one more quick ? why does it use oil while in vtec sorry if thats a stupid question to u i just dont know too much about it
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

high revs is the main thing for the rings. The higher the revs, the more violent the accelerations are on the pistons. Also, because of the extra lift and duration of the valve opening, the valve seals may be old and can't really seal that part of the valve ... I really have no idea about the seals.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Solution to not burn that much oil-

DON'T RAPE YOUR CAR.

Why are you burning so much oil? Because thats what happens when you rape on it "more than usual." I went through perhaps half a quart in a 30 mile drive on a mountain road last year. Now I don't have to add any oil between changes because I only redline the car once in every blue moon.

If you rape the car, it will burn oil. It doesn't mean that your engine has something wrong with it- it just means you're RAPING the car.

Have fun when your engine dies at 50,000 miles from constantly bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i recently bought a 96' jdm itr motor for my del sol. i beat on the car a lot with frequent tachometer trips over 8000rpm. i heard its normal for these engines to sip some oil with consistent spirited driving. if i beat on it more than usual i can use almost a quart within 500-750 miles. the engine doesnt leak fluids anywhere and does not smoke at all during start up or under hard acceleration, so what should i do about this? is this normal? if you think there is a problem where should i start to look for it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should do a leakdown test, see if it is the valve or the rings.

Prob the oil rings. You got a 12 year old motor, what do you expect? They are hit and miss, some have high miles, some are beat on, others are low miles, others are better taken care of in Japan.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i recently bought a 96' jdm itr motor for my del sol. i beat on the car a lot with frequent tachometer trips over 8000rpm. i heard its normal for these engines to sip some oil with consistent spirited driving. if i beat on it more than usual i can use almost a quart within 500-750 miles. the engine doesnt leak fluids anywhere and does not smoke at all during start up or under hard acceleration, so what should i do about this? is this normal? if you think there is a problem where should i start to look for it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Look, you don't have an ITR, you have a del sol, so why do you keep posting in the ITR forum?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (irev210)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irev210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should do a leakdown test, see if it is the valve or the rings.

Prob the oil rings. You got a 12 year old motor, what do you expect? They are hit and miss, some have high miles, some are beat on, others are low miles, others are better taken care of in Japan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My leak down showed me neither. but Im definately in need of one or the other.

compression rings are for the leakdown, and correct me if im wrong but the valves are closed so no air would get in them anyway.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (heel_touge)

One aspect of these engines that contributes to (causes?) oil consumption is the oil squirters. At higher RPMs/in VTEC, there are oil squirters that shoot oil at the underside of the pistons to help lubricate the wrist pins (and to a very small extent help cool the pistons). This added oil shooting at the bottom of the pistons makes it more likely for it to pass by the rings at high RPMs, enter the combustion chamber, and burn oil.

As has been suggested before, take it easy on your car! Drive below VTEC for a while and see if your consumption goes down...I can almost guarantee you it will.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the responses guys it must just be the way i drive cuz when i dont beat on it it doesnt suck very much oil at all. heres my responses for some peoples stupid responses: first off i know i have a del sol but its not a del sol motor its an itr motor so when i have a question about an itr engine it seems to make the best sense to put it in the itr forum, is this common sense or is it just me? and what is the sense of having a car that has a powerband from 5400 rpms to 8400 rpms and not taking it there. im not raping the car im driving it the way it was built to be driven. im not redlineing it every shift. i dont think honda put all these high performance parts in these engines so that people could drive them like a minivan, and i didnt spend $5k on an engine swap to drive it like a middle aged soccer mom. thanks for the people who answered my question.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline870 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off i know i have a del sol but its not a del sol motor its an itr motor so when i have a question about an itr engine it seems to make the best sense to put it in the itr forum, is this common sense or is it just me?</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's just you. The hybrid forum was created for cars with engine and/or suspension swaps. An ITR engine does not make a del sol an ITR, there is much more to the car than just the engine. In fact, most ITR owners would say that the defining attribute of the ITR is it's handling, rather than it's engine.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (Ford Prefect)

well next time ill just say im having problems with a itr engine and not mention the car. that way i wont have to listen to you cry about it
Old 09-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (Ford Prefect)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ford Prefect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's just you. The hybrid forum was created for cars with engine and/or suspension swaps. An ITR engine does not make a del sol an ITR, there is much more to the car than just the engine. In fact, most ITR owners would say that the defining attribute of the ITR is it's handling, rather than it's engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be blunt: so what. You harass someone for asking a legitmate technical question about a B18C. Sure, the hybrid forum could answer this question too, but I bet there is more expertise here.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?! (Dogginator)

thanks man atleast you understand me. simple logic doesnt apply to some people

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Problem?!?! is this normal?!?!