Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil burning

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil burning (b18a/b)

ok guys i just installed a b18a into my eg hatchback, and it seems to be burning a lot of oil, ive driven it 50 miles since install and its burnt 2 quarts! i got the engine from a local junkyard and it had been sitting for almost 2 years, when i got it i disassembled it and cleaned everything out really well, new gaskets, waterpump, thermostat, etc. i used some cheap auto parts place 10w30 in it for the first 200 miles hten iw as going to take it out and run some mobil 1 synthetic, what should i do about this oil burning problem? i thoguht about using some sort of engine treatment to clean it out, ya know the stuff that u put in and let the car idle for 5 minutes then drain the oil and put in fresh oil, and it supposed to free sticking valves and clean everything, the engine apeared to be in good condition, it was out of an auto ls, im adjusting the valves right now, i was wondering if their is anything i can do to maybe burn off some deposits from the valves and valve seats? since im thinking the valve seats are the culprit here. Oh yea and ill let u guys know my setup just in case any of it makes a difference...

1993 b18a block, head
1994 b18b cams
1993 b18a valve train (rocker arms, valves, springs, retainers, etc.)

cam timing is perfect, no problems there, engine has new plugs, wires are good, cap is good, im using the obd1 ls ecu, b18b intake manifold and all sensors, b18b engine harness, plugs come out a nice chocolate brown (not too rich but not too lean)..

other than some hesitation from about 1k to about 3500 and some oil burning its fine lol, im thinking some of the hesitation will go away once i adjust valves and fix the header (b18b header flange and stock civic cat flange holes dont line up)

i know this is in the hybrid forum, and it MIGHT be the wrong one, but since i have done a lot of "hybrid"ing here, i figured this is the place for it...

thanks for any help in advance
Old 03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil burning (jarvis199)

bump, come on someone could have something to say?

just adjusted the valves and got some kind of engine flush stuff, hopefully that helps a little...