Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor problem

Ok I have a 96 hatch with a 96 dx wiring harness converted to obd1 and I'm using a 95 ls ecu. I have a cel 41 for o2 heater. Does this mean the whole o2 sensor? Also I'm using the primary o2 sensor wiring and o2 sensor from a 99 si into Dc 4-2-1 headers and I have left the Secondary o2 sensor wires untouched. Should I connect the Secondary wires to the primary wires or what? I just need to get rid of this cel.

Modified by b20ek at 8:22 PM 7/20/2003
Old 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: O2 sensor problem (b20ek)

You most likely do not have your O2 sensor hooked up properly (meaning the WHT wire is not going to it's corerct pinout.

Grab a digital multimeter and test the WHT wire from the O2 sensor followed to the D14 pinout to see if there is any break in the wire.

If there is not, ensure your O2 is screwed into the O2 bung properly in the header, reset your ECU, and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96 dx wiring harness converted to obd1</TD></TR></TABLE>

What was done to change it to OBDI? Did you use a custom OBDII to OBDI adapter harness? I would say your problem lies in the wiring at the ECU.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: O2 sensor problem (VTECVillain)

Good point out chris
Old 07-20-2003, 07:24 PM

Default Re: O2 sensor problem (poison)

Yea it's a custom conversion harness that I bought of an H-t member. I'm not sure who made it but it has the initials JK on it.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:32 PM

Throwing the O2 code, test the WHT wire going to D14 with a digital multimeter.

If it's an open circuit/ non complete connection, manually wire it to D14.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:36 PM

Default Re: O2 sensor problem (poison)

Ok I fixed the problem. You guys were right it was a flaw in the harness. There wasn't even a wire in the d6 on the conversion harness so I added it and spliced it to the originall harness and the cel went away. But my problems are not over yet.

So I decided to take a test drive and as soon as I press the gas the engine backfired and threw a cel. This time it is code 16 for fuel injector. So how do I go about checking them?
Old 07-22-2003, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This time it is code 16 for fuel injector.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The easiest thing to test if they're working is to have the engine running and put a screwdriver on the metal body of each injector then your ear against the handle. If they are working you will hear them clicking.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: O2 sensor problem (VTECVillain)

Yea I tried that but it sounds like they were all clicking. I know they are not. There is too much noise coming from the engine so that isn't a good way for me to test. I did pull plug 4 and 3 and the plugs looked almost like they did the day I put them in. I also checked to see if I had spark to see if maybe that was the problem. The spark is very strong in the dead cylinders. I am pretty sure there is no gas going into 4 or 3. It may still be a problem in the conversion harness. I found out who made this one by the way. Some dude named Jason that goes by the H-t name of blown90hatch. I guess I'll get ahold of him.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I fixed the problem. You guys were right it was a flaw in the harness. There wasn't even a wire in the d6 on the conversion harness so I added it and spliced it to the originall harness and the cel went away. But my problems are not over yet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

b20ek,

Could you be more elaborate on how you fixed the problem. I also purchased the same harness and believe that I am also having the same problem. Thanks in advance.

JLi
Old 07-23-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: O2 sensor problem (jimsterli)

Could you be more elaborate on your specific problem then maybe I can help you? I got ahold of blownhatch and I overnighted the defective harness to him. He said he would overnight me one back and I would get it by the end of the week. About a 4 day process. If you are throwing a code 41 and you are using his harness it is probably a fucked up harness. .

Modified by b20ek at 6:05 AM 7/26/2003
Old 07-23-2003, 05:12 PM

b20ek,

Yep. Ever since I got that harness and converted to odb1, my o2 sensor voltage became messed up. And from the looks of it, the ecu isn't able to run closed loop. I've checked my o2 sensor wires and swapped out o2 sensors - but I didn't check the pinouts on the conversion harness mainly because one side of the harness is plastered with this JB weld stuff. And it was also from this dude on the forum doing a groupbuy.

You think I need to send it back? Or is it something as simply as repinning the harness?

JLi
Old 07-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimsterli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think I need to send it back? Or is it something as simply as repinning the harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's usually as simple as repinning a wire that's out of place or adding one that is missing.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimsterli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b20ek,

Yep. Ever since I got that harness and converted to odb1, my o2 sensor voltage became messed up. And from the looks of it, the ecu isn't able to run closed loop. I've checked my o2 sensor wires and swapped out o2 sensors - but I didn't check the pinouts on the conversion harness mainly because one side of the harness is plastered with this JB weld stuff. And it was also from this dude on the forum doing a groupbuy.

You think I need to send it back? Or is it something as simply as repinning the harness?

JLi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, I would send back the harness because that sounds like the same problem I had, but first, did you check to see if there was a wire in in a6 which is for heater control? If there isn't a wire in that spot then the harness is messed up like mine was.

It would be a simple task of adding or removing wires to the right places had the guy who made the harness not put that JB weld all over the wires. I'm not for sure what that crap is but its not coming off the wires and if it wasn't there I would be able to repin the harness.

Also I rewired my harness and got the o2 sensor to work by adding a wire into a6 and splicing that wire into a6 in my factory wiring but it should have been done right from the maker. I'm worried that the wires could be running to the wrong sources and messing my engine up so I'm not taking the chance of running my engine with a fucked up harness.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could you be more elaborate on your specific problem then maybe I can help you? I got ahold of blownhatch and I overnighted the defective harness to him. He said he would overnight me one back and I would get it by the end of the week. About a 4 day process. If you are throwing a code 41 and you are using his harness it is probably a fucked up harness. This guy shouldn't be selling harnesses because he could **** someone's car up. He said that mine was the 3rd out of over 400 harnesses to come back. I find that hard to believe. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the kind words. I have had 3 harnesses come back. 2 harnesses were throwing no codes and were getting interference so I shielded 2 wires and fixed both harnesses. I have built and sold over 400 harnesses. 50 pins a harness, 6 out of 20,000 wires. That is a 0.03% margin of error. Skunk2 doesnt even come close to that percentage. The fact of the matter is, you purchase the harness used.....was it defective when you got it...so you say....did the previous owner mess it up? We do not know. What I do know is that I was going to pay for overnight shipping both ways, no questions asked, and replace your harness. What did you do...slander me. Then you get pissed off because you wrote the WRONG address on the harness when you returned it to me. Then you pissed when it didnt get here in time like it was my fault. I spent 43.82 dollars to overnight it saturday delivery. You were complaining about having to replace your headgasket....what does a headgasket have to do with an O2 code?

When you get my harness, sell it if you do not want my products. Hundreds of people on this board and many shops that you deem as reputable sell my harnesses without the epoxy on it under their own name. I am sorry you are unsatisfied with all that I have done for you.

Jason Koehler
Old 07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimsterli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

JLi</TD></TR></TABLE>

JLi, if you feel there is a problem with the harness, please contact me so I can correct the problem immediately.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: O2 sensor problem (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had 3 harnesses come back. 2 harnesses were throwing no codes and were getting interference so I shielded 2 wires and fixed both harnesses. I have built and sold over 400 harnesses. 50 pins a harness, 6 out of 20,000 wires. That is a 0.03% margin of error. Skunk2 doesnt even come close to that percentage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's excellent in my book I've never bought any of your harnesses (haven't needed one) but I've seen them and have heard nothing but good things about them, until now that is. I'd like to see the person complaining try and make their own considering they are asking how to troubleshoot and O2 problem on here.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

JLi, if you feel there is a problem with the harness, please contact me so I can correct the problem immediately.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blown90hatch,

Other than the strange O2 sensor problem, the car runs fine as if nothing is wrong. However, I had recently failed inspection numerous times after converting obd2 to obd1 with your harness and ecu. The high CO and HC were consistent with running in limp mode. And the O2 signal seems to be suspect.

Any takes on this problem? If exchanging the harness will fix this problem, can we arrange this?

JLi
Old 07-25-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH

I appreciate the kind words. I have had 3 harnesses come back. 2 harnesses were throwing no codes and were getting interference so I shielded 2 wires and fixed both harnesses. I have built and sold over 400 harnesses. 50 pins a harness, 6 out of 20,000 wires. That is a 0.03% margin of error. Skunk2 doesnt even come close to that percentage. The fact of the matter is, you purchase the harness used.....was it defective when you got it...so you say....did the previous owner mess it up? We do not know. What I do know is that I was going to pay for overnight shipping both ways, no questions asked, and replace your harness. What did you do...slander me. Then you get pissed off because you wrote the WRONG address on the harness when you returned it to me. Then you pissed when it didnt get here in time like it was my fault. I spent 43.82 dollars to overnight it saturday delivery. You were complaining about having to replace your headgasket....what does a headgasket have to do with an O2 code?

When you get my harness, sell it if you do not want my products. Hundreds of people on this board and many shops that you deem as reputable sell my harnesses without the epoxy on it under their own name. I am sorry you are unsatisfied with all that I have done for you.

Jason Koehler
First of all, I have to admit, you have been really cool about the whole situation. But of course you would because you haven't been through the headaches that I have trying to get my engine to run properly. I already told you why I removed the head over the phone and in an email. The engine would not idle properly and it would backfire. I can't do a compression test or a leak down test because the rings haven't even been broken in yet! I thought I had a bent valve and had the head checked out and it is fine. Hopefully your harness has not caused any internal damage to my engine. Anyways, you can state your percentage of return to make yourself look good but nobody on this board will ever know the actual numbers (if they aren't made up) to know the truth. Personally I could care less. Also you NEVER told me you would cover shipping both ways. You told me to overnight it to you and you would overnight it back to me. You NEVER informed me you would cover my shipping costs. I did send it to the wrong address, my fault hands down. You should've spoken with me before you took the extra step to get it too me by Saturday and pay a huge fee because I'm going out of town for the weekend and I won't be back untill monday. But thanks for the effort and I guess we'll see if it is at my house monday. Also it would've costed me alot more money had I taken my car to a shop for them to tell me my harness was faulty. I am not a certified mechanic but I figured the problem out my self. According to the person I bought the harness from it was never used and I also gave you an email address so you could get ahold of that person. There is no reason for him to disconnect the o2 heater wire anyways and there would be evidence had he done so and you make the harnesses so you should know that. Don't forget about the injectors not working: another problem with the harness. I will use your harness when I get it If it works . If I was a person looking to buy a conversion harness and I heard people were having problems with yours, then I would buy a Skunk 2 or even a Kenji harness instead of going with one where people were having problems. You would lose sales. Keep in mind I could have spread ignorant remarks all over the internet about your harness being improperly made but I didn't. I made one remark in my post about your harness but someone would have to read into this post to find that remark. Good luck in the future selling more products. Hopefully you will get more understanding customers than myself in the future.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimsterli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Blown90hatch,

Other than the strange O2 sensor problem, the car runs fine as if nothing is wrong. However, I had recently failed inspection numerous times after converting obd2 to obd1 with your harness and ecu. The high CO and HC were consistent with running in limp mode. And the O2 signal seems to be suspect.

Any takes on this problem? If exchanging the harness will fix this problem, can we arrange this?

JLi</TD></TR></TABLE>

JLi, Do you own a multi meter or some thing that can do a continuity tester? If so I can walk you through the O2 pins so you can verify them. Also, even if the pin outs are correct....which if you are not getting any codes...they will be...we may need to shield those wires.

In any since, if there is any problem with the harness, I will fix it immediately. Free overnight shipping if the harness is found defective. Also, do you have a nice digital camera or access to one.

Thanks, Jason Koehler
Old 07-25-2003, 07:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In any since, if there is any problem with the harness, I will fix it immediately. Free overnight shipping if the harness is found defective. Also, do you have a nice digital camera or access to one.

Thanks, Jason Koehler</TD></TR></TABLE>

JK,

Yes, I do have a digital camera. What should I take a jpeg of? I snap a picture tomorrow morning.

JLi
Old 07-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First of all, I have to admit, you have been really cool about the whole situation. But of course you would because you haven't been through the headaches that I have trying to get my engine to run properly. I already told you why I removed the head over the phone and in an email.

Hopefully your harness has not caused any internal damage to my engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been building my project for almost 2 years. I have had so many companies bail out on me and take forever. 12 weeks on a TB. 14 wks on a muffler. 4 wks on a wastegate gasket. Trust me I know how frustrating it is. That is why I offered free overnight shipping. I would have thought that it was a given that I was paying for shipping. I told you a FULL warranty.

Oh and about the head being pulled...if you are doubting that my harness caused internal damage....shouldn't you pay more attention to this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CimorelliCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> talked to him(b20ek) on the phone last nihgt, but anyway, he told me that when he first went to start the motor, the skunk2 cam geras he has, were loose, so he started it up, and they just spun all the way retarded. Now, im not quite sure, but if you ask me, I think that can mess some valves up, not saying that it is 100%. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I was trying to make up the percentage numbers....I would have said you were the first. That looks even better.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should've spoken with me before you took the extra step to get it too me by Saturday and pay a huge fee because I'm going out of town for the weekend and I won't be back untill monday. But thanks for the effort and I guess we'll see if it is at my house monday.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really....considering your email to me that was filled with frustration and that you were pissed because it wasnt going to arrive until next week. Oh well...43 down the drain.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget about the injectors not working: another problem with the harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct....the O2 wire and injector wire were crossed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I was a person looking to buy a conversion harness and I heard people were having problems with yours, then I would buy a Skunk 2 or even a Kenji harness instead of going with one where people were having problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kenji is a good friend of mine and he has had problems where he incorrectly placed wires before as well. People contacted him in a civilized manner, Kenji gave them a new harness. We are human, we make mistakes. Skunk2 on the other hand....I have a friend that works there...they do not even make their harnesses......I know of atleast 15 that have been returned...and oh yeah...no receipt and return within 30 days....game over.

Enjoy your harness.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JK,

Yes, I do have a digital camera. What should I take a jpeg of? I snap a picture tomorrow morning.

JLi</TD></TR></TABLE>

JLi, Check your IM.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 PM

I am sorry for being an ***. I just want you to know that. I was just suprised when I found out I had a bad harness because I didn't think I would happen to me. I was just hoping to plug it in and go and it didn't work that way and now my car has been down for 3 weeks. Its all good though. This has been a learning experience for me though. I guess I forget that people make mistakes. I appreciate you making me out to look like an *** because I really didn't realize how much of one I was being. I just want my damn car to run. I've been builing my engine for 6months now. Sorry for all the trouble.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:30 PM

Does anyone feel that I have been out of line? Would anyone else have been overjoyous towards a company that sent them a messed up conversion harness? This guy acts like I have no reason to be upset. Well I'm not anymore but I was when this all started. Did I overreact because I don't feel that I did?

Quick Reply: O2 sensor problem