Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N22b

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N22b

Hey guys, I'll start off by introducing myself. I'm Timmy and I've been around Hondas my whole life. I recently came across a n22b out of a 2012 euro Accord. I was wonder if anyone has had any kind of experience with this motor. I'm planning on swapping it into a eg hatch. What I really want to know is if Kpro is compatible with it or if some form of software is so I can get it tuned. I want to build a diesel civic. I've found everything I need except for the mounts, an oem looking wiring harness( not worried if I cant find one I can completely wire the car myself), fuel pump and the ecu software. I don't know if I'm posting in the right are or if anyone can actually help me.... but if anyone has any information I would be extremely grateful for the help. Anything will help from tips to a form where someone else has done this. Thanks for reading
-Timmy
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Default Re: N22b

Your idea intrigues me since I drive a diesel (Cummins) myself. Perhaps I can provide some info.

Fuel pump: The main difference I think between the gasoline and diesel pumps are the o-rings and seals. They are totally different fuels and so will react differently to different rubber. Does this mean you can simply rebuild the EG fuel pump with the correct seals? Possibly, however the N22 uses Honda's version of the commonrail injection system. So I'm not sure what the differences are between the two different fuel systems concerning the electrical operating system. Another thing to consider, is that diesels like super-clean fuel. If the N22b has any extra filters or special filters, you MUST use these in your swap.

Mounts: You will need some custom fabricated

Wiring: You can probably use and adapt most of the engine bay wiring harness, but beyond that, you're on your own. Good thing you know how to wire yourself because this would be a project that is beyond most.

ECU: I know that programs like Motec and AEM Infinity are supposed to run just about everything, but I have never heard of them being used on a diesel. In the diesel world, there is a program that most use for custom tuning: EFI Live. But I'm not sure if it must be ordered for a certain engine, in which case you'd be out of luck concerning EFI. I would call AEM or Motec and see if their programs can be used for diesels.

Now, here is some info concerning your specific engine:

There are two versions, N22a and N22b. The main difference is that the N22a has its exhaust ports facing the front, while the N22b has the intake facing the front (like a K series). For this reason I think you are right in choosing the N22b, even thought it has a slightly shorter stroke (it only lessens displacement by 5 cc's though). However, it is the N22a which has a 16.7:1 compression ratio, while the N22b has 16.3. Perhaps a piston and rod swap may be in order if you are seeking the most power.

Good luck, and I do hope you go through with this lol
Old 08-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default N22b

Sounds like a rad idea. I found this thread, where gerryturbo says he got so far as setting the engine in the bay to see if it would fit and then had a UK company make him some custom billet mounts. But as far as I can tell it was never updated after that to show if he actually finished it or not. I checked out his Facebook page too and couldn't find anything there. Maybe you could try sending him a PM? Although it looks like he hasn't been active since 2013.