Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Much Needed Help with engine swap (H22)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much Needed Help with engine swap (H22)

I know no one wants to hear this and they'll tell me to search, but I cannot find any write ups for wiring on an H22. I broke my foot in Iraq (ouch!....right...) and got to come back, well in the past few day's I've been putting in my H22, but I want to find a write up or something, anything, to help me out here, to get everything perfect...can anyone help me? I'd appreciate this more than you know. Thanks a million if anyone can help me.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:27 PM

if you give poison 10,000 dollars he can send you the wiring stuff.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Much Needed Help with engine swap (the_eyecon)

I have been searching all night for the ECU pinouts and come across this..
here ya go hope it helps, its only the ECU pinouts, dont know what else you need?

Whats it going in? THere was a write-up in Sport compact car a while back for an EG H22 swap. i cant seem to find it though

http://www.hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=29
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (vinnymack)

sounds like a helluva deal man!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (lcaruca97)

this is a write-up I did on a other board.

Start paste

OK, I am trying to cover ALL you need to do this swap and all the myths and **** that people have been saying about this swap.

First, Try to find a car that has not been in a front end crash. The new motor mounts are made for a straight frame, so if you have frame damage, the mounts will not line up right.

Motor Mounts: Now, your stock or B-series mounts will not work. You have two choices: 1) Hasport or 2) HCP. The difference in the mounts are little. Hasports cost the is higher than the HCP. The HASport motor mounts were designed for better axles angles, so you have less broken axles. Now, HCP designed there kit more towards the stock prelude mounting position. I mostly use HCP because of the price and seen no real benefits for the HASport besides (in the HCP) if you do not grind enough off the transmission mount, it will grind 5th and reverse. Now, I know you are saying "what about other mounts that I have seen like Place racing, totem, etc?". With place racing, I have seen nothing but problems with axles binding and just poor R&D. With totem, The link will show you all: http://www.jdmshit.com/Totem/ . Totem copied the HCP design and did a shitty job at it. With ALL mounts you will have to use a 92-96 H-series prelude rear transmission bracket.

Axles: You have many choices here. You can use a 90-93 accord intermediate shaft with 90-93 integra axles, or use the prelude intermediate shaft with a 90-93 integra passenger side axle and a hybrid axle with a 'lude inner CV joint and the 90-93 integra shaft and outer CV joint for driver's side axle. The only difference in those axles set-up is the intermediate shaft you use. I have seen them hold to nice horsepower, so you do not have to go the more money route. Another way to go is, Use the prelude intermediate shaft and order up a pair of DSS axles for the swap.

Wiring: I know that people think that this is the hardest part of the swap, but it is not (thanks to that damn shift linkage pin ). Now, the easiest harness to use is your stock harness. Most of the plugs will match up. If the is the same OBD, the colors of the wires will match up too. Now, there we go:
1. You will have to change the injector clips to the h22a style, that is very easy, just cut and splice. Now, your stock injectors are saturated. The H22a injectors are Peak and hold. you will have to wire in a resistor box. It is easy. there is a diagram:

http://www.hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html

2. You will have to extend the Alternator wiring. Now, if it is the SAME OBD then you should have no problem. All the colors are the same.

3. You will have to length the wire going to the starter solenoid.

4. You will have to use the H22a reverse light plug. No biggy, just cut and splice.

5. Depending on what model and year you have, it will determine how much wiring you will have to do. there is a diagram to help you:

also you may have to rewire the 02 sensor (on VX and CX only) there are the pinouts:
WHT wire goes to D14 (O2 Sensor Input) - needs to be a shielded wire with ground (it has to be shielded wire, or it will not work right)
BLK wire goes to A6 which is Heater Control
GRN wire goes to D22 which is Sensor Ground
BLK wire goes to B1 or A25 which is Sensor voltage

6. As for the EGR, JDM motors you do not have to wire it up, BUT USDM you do. The JDM motors will get a code for it off and on, but just reset the computer, and it will go away.

7. Sensor ID. There is a pic that will make the job easier:

#1 is ECT (engine coolant temperature switch)

#2 is the coolant sending unit (this is what sends your cluster how hot your water is)

#3 is the knock sensor.

#4 is the oil sensor.

NOW, label all the sensors when you take them off. It will make it easier when you put the new motor in.

THINGS TO REPLACE.

When you have the motor/transmission out, you should replace: the clutch, timing belt and balance shaft belt, water pump, spark plugs. Those are just the basics, you can replace more.

COOLING SYSTEM

You will need a 92 integra LS upper Radiator hose and a 1994 Del Sol VTEC lower radiator hose. You can get them almost anywhere. You will have to get a slim fan OR mod. your stock fan to work. I think that the slim fan is the best. They are like $30 at pep boys. Now, as far as the Radiator questions, you can run your stock single core Radiator with no problems, but I would upgrade to a Del Sol VTEC dual core Radiator.

CUTTING AND HACK TO THE CHASSIS

you will need to cut a 2x3 hole for the shift cables. Here is a pic:

you will also have to cut the transmission mount. With the HASport, you will have to cut it off totally. With the HCP, you will only have to cut about 1" x 1" off it.

I think that is it, if you have any questions, just ask!

Special thanks to Brandon (poison) and Dave Newman (Newman)

end paste

If I have anything wrong, please correct me

EDIT: Newman, I use a couple of your links, you do not like that, I will take it down.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:54 AM

Default Re: (turbogixxer)

Ha, nice pic of the sensors!

Glad to see its helpful!
Old 08-29-2003, 06:27 AM

Thanks much for all the help, and it's just a simple Prelude Swap, I had an Si (H23) and through out a rod bearing from highmilage, and just decided to go with an H22. Thanks again!!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleeprCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleeprCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ha, nice pic of the sensors!

Glad to see its helpful! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, thanks, I wrote it on a board where almost of the people never did a swap or work on their engine. BTW how is your car running and you take it to the track yet.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_eyecon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks much for all the help, and it's just a simple Prelude Swap, I had an Si (H23) and through out a rod bearing from highmilage, and just decided to go with an H22. Thanks again!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh, USDM or JDM?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:01 AM

JDM...I'm still a little lost about the wire harness though. THese are other links that I got from other people, but I'm not sure if they'll point me in the wrong or right..opinions?

http://www.konamijpn.com/produ....html
http://lude92.tripod.com/VTECLude/id2.html

BTW this is the complete swap you get from H-Motors online, all sensors, wireharness, everything, just curious if I will need anything else though? THanks.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:31 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
EDIT: Newman, I use a couple of your links, you do not like that, I will take it down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all good . Since we picked up that "NASA-spec race EG" last week, I'm going to be dropping in a H22 (after we drop in a JDM D15B VTEC motor to smog the car... cool looking valve cover ), and I was planning on doing a pretty extensive write up with lots of pictures from start to finish. The whole job will probably take a day or less but with the photos and write ups, a little bit longer, but I figure it'll be a pretty good write up from start to finish on the same car, rather than pieceing info from other posts here & there (as some info might be left out in the transistion). Good thing my digital camera can take MPG movies.... I may take a few of some of the "labor/cutting" parts like the shifter hole and passenger side framerail bracket.... go crazy with the sawzal .

Old 08-29-2003, 01:13 PM

Oo0 can't wait to see this, hope you get it done in about 2months before i do my swap
Old 08-29-2003, 02:01 PM

Good info as always....can't wait til newmans writeup!
Old 08-31-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nickwilmot)

ok guys i'm almost done but except for my resistor pack that i dont understand from searching. sooooooooooo close please help me here

the resistor pack has five wires. four of them go to the yellow and black wires from the injectors... WHERE DO I HOOK UP THE FIFTH WIRE FROM THE RESISTOR?
THATS WHAT I DONT GET
Old 09-01-2003, 06:14 AM

Default Re: (H23vtecEG)

ANYONE?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H23vtecEG)

Yes, you should have five wires. The red one, you connect the blk/yel wires that you cut (the 12v source from the wiring harness). You twist them all together and connect them to the red wire.

http://www.hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html
Old 09-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice post....i really needed that
Old 09-03-2003, 03:49 PM

damn Kenny. Very nice job

I'm actually in the progress with putting up a tech site on hondasaver.com with pics as well.

Modified by poison at 6:19 PM 9/3/2003
Old 09-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn Kenny. Very nice job

I'm actually in the progress with putting up a tech site on hondasaver.com with pics as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, you need help ( i doubt you do), just hit me up.

BTW, poison made some process in the wiring problems that you are having, just hit me up.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks, you need help ( i doubt you do), just hit me up.

BTW, poison made some process in the wiring problems that you are having, just hit me up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll never turn down help. Course I'll hit ya up

I'm re-doing diagrams and adding a bunch of shizzle.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll never turn down help. Course I'll hit ya up

I'm re-doing diagrams and adding a bunch of shizzle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, we will swap info and see what happens.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:23 PM

alot of good info here. i saved the name of the thread in my notes so that i can come back and look later when i need to.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

really good post.

Lots of good information.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Re: (93preludeh22)

how can i save all that info with the pictures?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mugensport9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how can i save all that info with the pictures?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just save the pics by right clicking and save them on my computer. If you need any pics just hit me up. I will be doing a H22a in a civic (EG) at the end of the month and I will take a lot of pics (pics of all most everything) and i will do a huge write up on it.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you email those pictures to me turbogixxer

cytokin@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Much Needed Help with engine swap (H22)