Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor bogs after VTEC - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor bogs after VTEC - HELP!!!

Hey guys. I had this problem for so long and can't seem to figure out why my motor bogs after VTEC engages. I need help guys!!!

Car:
96 honda civic hatchback dx

motor:
94 complete jdm gsr block
97 complte itr head
gsr tranny

wiring harness and ecu:
stock dx wiring hareness from car
added vtec pressure switch and solenoid sensors
chipped p28

problem:
without VTEC: motor runs all the way up to 8500 rpm with no problems. no bogs at all
with VTEC: motor runs till after VTEC engagement and starts to bog. If foot is left on gas, motor will run through and bogging goes away. As motor runs high in the rpm's, motor starts to bog again. There are times when there are no bogging. Sometimes when I step on the throttle all the wait, it starts to bog also. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening. I've got new rotor and cap for the distributor and new spark plugs. Thought it was fuel and air ratio but use fuel regulator and still had the problem. If anyone knows what is wrong with my motor, please let me know. I cleaned the screen to my VTEC pressure already. Still have the problem. I am running out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor bogs after VTEC - HELP!!!

needs a tune, seems like it is getting rich, or the timing is goofy after vtec engagement. Most likely you "chipped P28"
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 PM

do you think it's because of my wiring harness or jumper harness? has anyone ever ran into any problems with skunk2 jumper harness (obd2a to obd1)?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend in his Si and me in my GSR are having the same problems you are, it sounds like. We came up with a couple of idea but it looks like you already looked at most but one. Clutch. If you can see your revs climbing but you feel like you arent going anywhere, it might possibly be a slipping clutch. Do you have a moddified (Possibly Lightened) Flywheel? That could also be a source. For me, it feels fine all day, but as soon as I run it real hard it seems to get weaker, bogg-ier, ie: Hot clutch. I still havent gotten around to taking off the tranny to have a gander at it. But my only suggestion is a new one. and possibly even if you feel like spending a little extra cash, a steel braided clutch line after the steel line coming off of your CMC will make your shifting stiffer and allow less clutch slip ie: not burning the clutch. To save it in the long run.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 PM

I'm not sure it is the clutch on mine. Even when i rev it without being in gear, my motor still bogs. You should trying revving your motor while you're not actually transferring power to the wheels. That is a good idea but I believe that is that is not the problem in my case. Thanks for your 2 cent. Greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 AM

HELP anyone???
Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could use a stock GSR ECU.

There is no way to tune a car without even seeing it. Get rid of that chip or get a dyno tune.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM

i used a stock p72. motor still bogs. I start to believe that i might be the vtec solenoid.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 PM

After messing around with my car, I am starting to believe that it is the clutch. Before the installation of the motor, I decided not to throw in a clutch yet since there was little meat left. Now, I am starting to regret not replacing the clutch.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Wheres my titleeeee!

My B16 hatch used to have the same issues! Check your spark plug wires... After time they tend to break apart and the electrode gets stuck on the plug but loses contact with the wire itself causing it to break up under a decent load. Trust me ive gone through it many times... that can be one thing you can check!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow good point. I remember for the life of me I could not figure out a hesitation problem I had.
Changed distributers, o2's, proper firing order, still couldnt get it.

Turned out one of the plug wires was burned from the valve cover and I couldnt see it.
I would check the order, but never inspected them. Would actually idle smooth too.

Easiest fix ever.

Also fyi an o2 sensor can get lazy without throwing the engine light.
If you have a spare or can pull a friends you might wanna try that. From your description it sounds like a possible o2 issue.

Has the car previously run properly, or is this a fresh startup?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was breezing through the posts pretty quickly, but I had a similar issue that I didn't see covered..Theres no mention of what cams are being used, but when I first put in my BC3's, I had the same issue with the factory computer settings. The cams needed a higher Vtec point and bogged until the vtec point was moved out to the appropriate point for the cams. The motor was being overwhelmed with air because the fuel was not yet adjusted to match.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 PM

I am using the stock type r cams. I noticed that the motor bogs only at full throttle only in gear. Without the tranny in gear, the motor runs fine. It runs all the way up to 8500 rpm. It should be the spark plug wires since the motor runs koo without the tranny in gear. 02 sensor? - i'm not sure but i'll check it out. That could be a good possibility. But what trips me out is that the motor runs koo with it not at full throttle and in gear. Is there a possibility that a bad 02 can lead to this?

Also, this is not a fresh start up. The same motor was in my brother-in-law's friend's car and it ran fine. It was only when I throw the motor into my ride that started bogging like this.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 PM

Nevermind. Motor bogs both in gear and neutral.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Wheres my titleeeee!

Check the wires to see if the electrode from the plug wire is still on the sparkplug. OR check to see if they are burnt ... see if the VC is leaking oil into the plugs abnd fouling them out man . process of elimination man. Im sure we can help you figure this out!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

besides the problem u stated, does the motor die out and the revs drop even though you press/tap on the gas?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM

There are no other problems other than the bogging. I will check the spark plug wires and o2 sensor and will be replacing them.

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I appreciate it!!! You guys are the best!!! Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Okay, I replaced the spark plug wires (MSD ) and motor still bogs after vtec engagment. This only happens at full throttle. This does not happen at half throttle. Motors goes through vtec fine but a little slow not how i want it but that's another problem. The throttle position sensor was replaced and throttle body was cleaned out. This is driving me crazy.

HELP!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM

hows your oil pressure lines for the vtec? clogged? You said you got msd wires, did you have an MSD box?( the box's tend to go out, you can send them in and get um fixed for free but its just kind of a hassel) also try re timing it.

Last edited by kauai96; 01-05-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure your injectors are squirting fine as well, had a friends car that did similar things and it was faulty injector wiring
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 PM

Hey guys. UPDATE: Head Gasket is blown. Motor overheats. It didn't catch my attention.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 AM

listen to your muffler to see if you hear anything like a misfire!

I have had an similiar issue and it turned out that the seals were in need of change,
they were only sealing under part throttle, but whenever I stressed the motor they would leak oil causing 1 psiton to misfire which caused the bogging! have noticed any oil burning away?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Yes, I've notice oil burning away. I've also notice coolant evaporating away also. I don't hear any misfire from the muffler at all. I'm pretty confident it is the head gasket. I will be replacing the HD soon. Car is not being driven until I go back home since I'm away for school. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM
New User

Originally Posted by hondaman_csu_slo
Hey guys. I had this problem for so long and can't seem to figure out why my motor bogs after VTEC engages. I need help guys!!!

Car:
96 honda civic hatchback dx

motor:
94 complete jdm gsr block
97 complte itr head
gsr tranny

wiring harness and ecu:
stock dx wiring hareness from car
added vtec pressure switch and solenoid sensors
chipped p28

problem:
without VTEC: motor runs all the way up to 8500 rpm with no problems. no bogs at all
with VTEC: motor runs till after VTEC engagement and starts to bog. If foot is left on gas, motor will run through and bogging goes away. As motor runs high in the rpm's, motor starts to bog again. There are times when there are no bogging. Sometimes when I step on the throttle all the wait, it starts to bog also. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening. I've got new rotor and cap for the distributor and new spark plugs. Thought it was fuel and air ratio but use fuel regulator and still had the problem. If anyone knows what is wrong with my motor, please let me know. I cleaned the screen to my VTEC pressure already. Still have the problem. I am running out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!!
if your using the dx wire harness you will need a knock sensor hooked up if its not .
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: motor bogs after VTEC - HELP!!!

Originally Posted by gmb3tkd
I was breezing through the posts pretty quickly, but I had a similar issue that I didn't see covered..Theres no mention of what cams are being used, but when I first put in my BC3's, I had the same issue with the factory computer settings. The cams needed a higher Vtec point and bogged until the vtec point was moved out to the appropriate point for the cams. The motor was being overwhelmed with air because the fuel was not yet adjusted to match.

need help also when i hit v-tec my car bogged at v-tec ranged and then when it goes pass 7000 rpm doesn't bogged anymore it'll just hit 8500 rpm quick but when my v-tec bogged i lose alot of power. you guys think its the spark plug and 02 sensor im check it out. thanks for all the infos. i post my own but im a noob in here first timer.

Quick Reply: motor bogs after VTEC - HELP!!!