Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meet Stumpy the stump puller ... (picture intensive)

Old 09-04-2001, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meet Stumpy the stump puller ... (picture intensive)

Well I finally got around to the swap and it started on the fifth crank once we got the plug wires in right (how dumb). In case no one knows its a fully built B20/Vtec.

Say Goodbye!!

Here's the beast on the lift getting ready to get the tranny bolted up.

Here she is almost done

None of the vacum lines are attached yet. I still have to find a good way to plug the powersteering line.

Well we don't have a test pipe or a cat and were forced to run open headers. If you've never heard 12:1 compression with a JDM it sounds like a small block chevy motor. The best part is starting it because you can here the whoosh of solid air comming out of the header. With the midnight cam breakin on open headers, air rachets and impacts I think my neighbors officially hate me. I have a lot to tie up though. Need to fix the fuel line - we sprung a bad fuel leak by the under hood gauge, gotta get the exhaust fixed, do some cutting and welding for the cross member, fix the lower A arm bolt that seized in the bushing sleeve (DAMIT!) gotta get the temp gauge working and the A/F gauge along with some other minor things but it'll get done.

Unfortunatly we were sent the wrong clutch so we were forced to put in the LS tranny, clutch and flywheel - a HUGE dissappointment but when we had the map sensor hooked up wrong and it wouldn't idle a heavy clutch would've made it undriveable - got that fixed (map). So now im waiting for the new clutch disk and im going to throw the aluminum flywheel back on with the cluch and YS1 b16a tranny. I can't wait to break it in. Vtec isn't even hooked up yet too!! I'm still running on the stock LS ECU. I need to get the PR3 chipped to remove the 2nd 02, and the knock sensor.

I'll post more pictures later if i find some good ones.

BTW: the motor looks like a b17a dosen't it ?? hehe *grin* it is ... i swear

[Modified by stizzit, 1:25 PM 9/4/2001]
Old 09-04-2001, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Meet Stumpy the stump puller ... (stizzit)

Very Nice B17A conversion

How does the JDM 4-1 fit in a G2? What mods need to be done to make it fit? Please let me know and pics would be good too. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Meet Stumpy the stump puller ... (jonsteR)

That shows ya why the supporting cross member doesn't fit. It needs to be terribly notched and I wasn't about to just put a notched one up there. The next project is buying several feet of square stock to modify the crossmember and put x-braces welded to the frame rails mid car.

No notching needed here but it basically sits on the front clip crossmember. I have no idea how hard it would be to get in with the motor still in - it wasn't a problem putting the motor in with it attached.

[Modified by stizzit, 3:59 PM 9/4/2001]
Old 09-04-2001, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot for the info!

I guess there won't be a JDM 4-1 Header for me
Old 09-04-2001, 05:00 PM
New User

Yep its a pain in the *** to get any 4-1 into your ride or mine as a matter of fact front member off radiator out ect ect
Here Look.

Old 09-05-2001, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, i really want this in my car so i need to ask you another Q. I would only need to modify the xmember (black metal in the photo with the 3 bolts hanging?) and that's it? Or do i also need to modify the one that bolts up to the xmember (held up by those 3 bolts)?
I guess the JDM heatshield wouldn't fit anymore huh? Would the AC lines and all the stuff near the radiator clear? Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Meet Stumpy the stump puller ... (jonsteR)

Actually you don't have to notch the cross member - i just call it that for lack of a better word. The one you do have to notch is the one that isn't on that bolts up to the three bolts - its laying on the floor if you look in the picture. Also i don't know about the AC as i don't have it anymore but from what I remember I believe it will fit fine. The JDM heat sheild should also fit without a problem but again i don't have it so its only a guess.