Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/VTEC boring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC boring?

I'm working on building a turbocharged LS/VTEC. I just wanted to know if most people bore out the blocks for this type of build. I have access to a machine shop at school and can use it for free so I might as well right. I also wanted to know what is the biggest size I could bore out to without the use of sleeves. Is the stock bore size 81mm?? Please help.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (calrya31)

if you actually want to build it for turbo i would think sleeving the block would make plenty of sense, so you don't blow anything up and be able to have high boost, but I am not turbo expert
Old 01-13-2006, 07:24 AM

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (aaronhume)

I'm using forged rods/pistons so I'm not worried about anything blowing up. And I didnt want to sleeve it unless I had to because of bore size.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM

unless you plan on running low boost (7psi or lower) i would sleeve the block. why put all that money into turboing your car to blow the block. thats just my 2cents
Old 01-13-2006, 06:46 PM

If I were you I'd talk to your shop teacher and see if he or she could show you how to press the old sleeves out and press the new sleeves in.
Then you can messure the pistons that you have and buy sleeves to match or bore the new sleeves accordingly...and tell who ever you buy the sleeves from what you are doing and ask them what sleeves they sell that can be bored....that way if some day you do slip a ring or do Something to scar the piston walls you can just get it honed and save alot of money on not having to resleeve the block.

Ive never done this on car engines but this is how it works for dirtbikes. The basic principles are the same though.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (Dmc1)

So you all really think I should sleeve it?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i was in your posiyion id def sleeve the block instead of boring it out if you going turbo......if u can do both that would be awesome
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Well I would in your situation.Just because you have forged rods and pistons that can take alot of boost.The only weak link is the sleeves.This isn't fact Ive just heard that the stock sleeves can only handle about 8 psi of boost
If you sleeve it you could run 15 or psi of boost and get some unreal hp but sleeving is expensive so if you can get it done at school that would be cool.I've just never heard of anyone doing it in shopclass before *L*
Old 01-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (Dmc1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dmc1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I would in your situation.Just because you have forged rods and pistons that can take alot of boost.The only weak link is the sleeves.This isn't fact Ive just heard that the stock sleeves can only handle about 8 psi of boost
If you sleeve it you could run 15 or psi of boost and get some unreal hp but sleeving is expensive so if you can get it done at school that would be cool.I've just never heard of anyone doing it in shopclass before *L*</TD></TR></TABLE>first of all you guys are crazy any stock honda block can handle 10-12 psi with forged internals and with tuner any possible good luck with your Ryan
Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (HondaCivicSiR1)

first of all you guys are crazy any stock honda block can handle 10-12 psi with forged internals and with tuner any possible good luck with your Ryan [/QUOTE]

Thank you, I thought the same was true about the blocks.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no. not true. at most 8psi, for short bursts at the track, i wouldnt put a motor through more than 5psi if its stock. even if u do have different rods and pistons. aftermarket rods and pistons are stronger, great, but that doesnt help the cylinder walls. which is where the sleeving comes into play.

FYI, i'm in the middle of doing my own LS/vtec build, so its not like im just talkin outta my ***.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (thapimpfromchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thapimpfromchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FYI, i'm in the middle of doing my own LS/vtec build, so its not like im just talkin outta my ***. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you are sleeving your block?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is my build, as i have planned: b18b1 block, b16 head w/gsr cams. 2.0L stroker kit w/sleeved block, and aftermarket rods and pistons. then the turbo kit obviously.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calrya31 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm working on building a turbocharged LS/VTEC. I just wanted to know if most people bore out the blocks for this type of build. I have access to a machine shop at school and can use it for free so I might as well right. I also wanted to know what is the biggest size I could bore out to without the use of sleeves. Is the stock bore size 81mm?? Please help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, all b-series blocks are stock 81mm bore
Old 01-15-2006, 03:06 PM

What stroker kit are you using?
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

havent gotten that far in the build yet. im gettin all my parts sourced first, then ill get to that. im gonna just walk into a shop with all my parts, and be like, build this. lol.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thapimpfromchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im gonna just walk into a shop with all my parts, and be like, build this. lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well thats all fine and dandy but how can I honestly take you seriously about advise on a build if you're not even building your own motor?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i dont have the tools or know how on how to bore out a block or port and polish my head or sleeve the block. whatever man. i was just tryin to help u out. dont sleeve ur ****. see if i care. its just gonna be money down the drain as soon as she breaks. im just having the shop do all the machining and installing of the rotating assembly. puttin her in the car and all the rest im doing. anyways, good luck with ur car.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 AM

crossing over into the darkside... i've got an mild NA lsv and am gonna bore it out and drop in wisecos. forget sleeving it... i'm only gonna be on 7-9lbs. tunning is the key.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (ernald711)

what were u runnin with it n/a? and what did ur set up look like?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC boring? (ernald711)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ernald711 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tunning is the key.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, sleeves or no sleeves, tuning is the key factor.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont disagree with that statement one bit, tuning is definitely the key to longevity, and power, but if u gonna do a pretty major build, which is sounds like u are, why not spend a couple extra bucks and have it done right. just my .02
Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 AM

I have a friend who has a LS with forged internals and a full-race turbo it and he sleeved his block. He took it to Evan's Tuning in Easton, Pa and Jeff Evans said that he did not need to sleeve his block. He said that he should have spent the money on a vtec head instead of sleeves. An I know that Jeff Evans knows his ****.

http://www.full-race.com
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kinda rods/pistons u gettin? and what kinda turbo?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Probably eagle H-Beam rods and Arias 9:1 pistons. As far as a turbo goes either a full-race stage 1 ProAm kit or i might get a SC61 and build my own kit. I dont know yet.

Quick Reply: LS/VTEC boring?