Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the juice worth the squeeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is the juice worth the squeeze

i am not sure if this question has been asked before so drop a link if you know of one

i have a D16a6 with a spun rod bearing, machine shop just said it would be a waste of metal to machine it with the over sized bearings probability of spinning.

my question: what d series crank will fit in my engine such as d15b2
Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: is the juice worth the squeeze

In my opinion, I would just drop a low mileage ZC motor in there (same motor as the a6) and be done with it. By the time your motor is out of the machine shop and rebuilt it will cost as much if not more than a replacement engine from a "JDM" importer..

According to the Honda part number the b2 crank has a different part number than the a6 but I would assume it would drop right in.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't know where the machine shop is getting their information. I've got 40k miles on my D16Y7 after it spun a rod bearing, I had it reground and rebuilt it myself with oversized (thicker) bearings. I did modify the oil pump and chamfer the oil supply holes on the journals... theoretically this should help prevent future spinning. you should also replace the rod itself as the heat tends to warp them.

I'm glad I decided to rebuild mine. I enjoy the work and have all the tools, experience and documentation (factory service manuals) to get everything back together properly after the machine shop is done. jlk16188 makes a good point about low-mileage JDM motors. If you find a good price on one it can be the same or less than the cost of machine work and a rebuild kit (gaskets, rings, bearings, ect) to get the same end result from your current motor.

compare for yourself. check out the engine import sites and compare the prices for compatible motors shipped vs. what a rebuild kit would cost you. then include any tools you would need to rebuild if you don't already have them. (I didn't include my time as a cost when I was doing this myself because it's my main hobby and I enjoy it.)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard somewhere that the journal for the b2 is .003mm different then a a6 but i have not referenced that to the manual. even so that is such a slight difference i could change bearing thickness.
dude at the machine shop said that the thrust part of the crank needed to be grinded, from what i know you would have to do that to the block also?

thanks i will look into filing the oil ports/supply holes to a chamfered finish.

they were eagle rods i came by for ridiculously cheap.
dude at the machine shop said i should have them balanced. baked i have a scale at home! haha

it ran when i disassembled it after hearing that spun road bearing.

so right now i am killing time by sanding and painting the engine bay Y-49 crx si
what color should i paint the engine bay of the yellow crx maybe it will bring better luck with engines!

so i will go see if i can reference the main bearing & rod bearing sizes.
Let me know if you find any franken motor links
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D16 rods won't work - the rod journals on the D16 cranks are 45mm and on the D15 cranks, they are 42mm - for building a D15, you are better off starting out with the JDM D15B VTEC engine which uses the larger crankshaft 55mm main (D15 is 45mm) and 45mm rod journals like a D16 - also uses D16 rods with pistons that have a shorter compression height