Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

injector questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector questions/problems

Ok, I got the OBD0 B18a in my civic and the injectors arent firing at all. The plugs are dry and dont smell, and the fuel rail IS getting fuel. There is voltage to the injector plugs (11.6v when key is turned and ~8.75v when cranking) on every cylinder. I checked my 90 integra (also OBD0) and it is 10v when cranking (I think the diff in voltage is because of the constant charging the teg's battery gets while the civic's was sitting for a month). My wiring is right also, I checked and rechecked the schematics in the manual to my own wiring and it all checked out ok. the only thing I can think of is that they are the wrong injectors. When I got the motor a bunch of stuff was missing (the kid had B16 put in his car by a shop) and the fuel rail was off (indicating they might have swapped injectors).

Anyway, are there any tests I can do to the injectors? like ohm tests or dry fire tests? There are #'s on the injectors they are: E J 13-== on 2 of them and E J 13--= on the other 2. Are these the right ones? I couldnt see #'s on my teg ones but they looked visually the same.

I was thinking about bypassing the injector resistor box, would this hurt anything?

Someone please help me out, I want this thing to run.

Ben
Old 11-26-2002, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: injector questions/problems (Ben Ogle)

1) How do you know that the injectors aren't firing?
2) The plugs should be dry and shouldn't smell from the outside.
3) Will the car just not start?
4) Are you using the LS ecu?
5) If they are OBD0 injectors, you need that resistor box.
6) Maybe try the injectors from your other car and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: injector questions/problems (Jeff C)

1) the fuel rail is getting fuel and there is voltage to the injector plugs but the spark plugs are dry (when I pull them out of the head)
2) I pulled the plugs out, I'm not dumb.
3) the car doesnt start
4) Yes I have a PR4 ECU
5) I have a resistor box on my firewall
6) I was going to try something along those lines. Maybe buy some new injectors from someone. i dunno. I'm stumped.

Ben
Old 11-26-2002, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the rail's getting fuel? I mean sure, even a car with a broken fuel pump will have fuel in the lines, but that doesn't mean the rail's getting gas. Pull the line and put it into a can, and then crank the car. You should see a hard spray coming from that line. If it's a trickle, you've got problems.

Injectors don't usually fail, from what I know. Another thing you could try is pulling the rail from the car, keeping the injectors plugged into it, and then cranking the car and seeing if they spray gas. Kinda messy but then you'll know for sure right?

Oh and from what I remember OBDII injectors, from a D16Y8, have a different clip pattern and can't just be dropped into place. The shop would have had to splice on the injector clips as well as replace the injectors, and I don't see that in your pics - I see that stupid wire clip that B16As have (D16Y8 has a press-type clamp thingie for the injectors, not that wire).

[Modified by raene, 12:40 PM 11/26/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: injector questions/problems (raene)

Thanks for the reply. I know the rail is getting gas. I stood back and cracked open the little end plate on the fuel rail (opposite end of where the line is). Gas sprayed everywhere.

The car did run before (a month ago) so it cant be a broken fuel pump.

I was thinking of pulling the rail and testing like you suggested. Would the pressure of the fuel in the rail try and shoot the injectors out of the rail? Have you done this?

I wired up the engine harness with my stock DX harness and an OBD0 teg (90 teg) harness I got from the junkyard, so the plugs are OBD0.

I think I need to try some different injectors.

Ben
Old 11-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not mean to insult you Ben. I was just making sure.

Did you have to do the DPFI > MPFI conversion being that your car was a DX?
If so, are all 4 injectors dry?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: injector questions/problems (Jeff C)

Yes I did the conversion. Every injector plug is getting 8.75v. But on my teg they are getting at least 10v. I ohmed everything out and the resistor box is 5.9-6 ohm which is the same as my teg and the injectors are all 2 ohm (what the haynes manual says, so they arent obd1). The only thing i can think of is that the battery is too dead to fire them off (lack of voltage). Maybe its cause the batter is in the trunk. i did use 0 ga wire for both the power and the ground (grounded to a seatbelt bolt in the back, which was ground down to the metal). I still want to try different injectors, though. I'm still stumped.

Ben

PS no hard feelings.

[Modified by Ben Ogle, 1:30 AM 11/27/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 11:54 PM

oh no! the DPFI to MPFI conversion is tricky. i would have a friend check the wiring and harness, they always find something to bitch about hehe. good luck!
Old 11-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: injector questions/problems (zRd#1)

I'll check the wiring again today. I hope I find something.

Ben
Old 11-27-2002, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok found a swapped wire and started it up. Now it smokes and idles at 3k. its always something. If anybody wants feel free to share some insight on the idle subject, I'm gonna do some searching.

Ben