Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impossible? newbie needs help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impossible? newbie needs help please

I have an 02 civic LX sedan, dont laught, its not really mine but the rents might give it to me soon. I was wondering what the best, yet cheapest engine swap will be. Also, if the car is auto, what all do i have to do to either just get a manual tranny on the 1.7 motor, or on the newer one, adn waht would be the cost on that too please.

I am not the richest person, but i make about $300-$400 a month that i can budget probly 200 a month into for some help paying, and about $2k saved up, dont want to be looking at anything much over $3000.

I know its a slow car, i dont mean to get it supersonic, but i just dont want to be THE SLOWEST anymore, i swear my moms minivan could beat this one bottom up on a 1/8th mile.

Kinda just to wrap it up, i would like the price on any suggested engine swap, (i heard a b16 would be good adn cheap, then i read about b16b and all other lettsrs and have no idea what they all are), a manual 5 spd tranny for the motor, and the cost of anything else i need to do to make it work, i heard that u need ecu tuning to raise limiter and take out shift points or something, and 2nd what it would cost to get a manual transmission on my stock motor, and if it would make a big difference in speed or power. Also i cannot and do not have any equipment to install an engine myself, or a tranny, i could probly read up on it, but all i have is the car's emergency jack...

as you can most likely tell i am completely new to this but would like to get into cars. So far all i have done was take off my catback and get yelled at cuz it was loud (also noticed it was SLOWER, sum1 told me its from not enough back pressure), and i put a ram air intake on it. well it was supposed to be cold air but u can never trust ebay i guess, so i had to cut the hell out of it to make it fit.

Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Help? Anyone?

What would just a tranny conversion (auto to manual) do for my car and how much would it be?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rentacar4dr)

Dont bother with any B-series swap, its not worth the trouble. Unfortunately, the best swap for you is a K20, but the swap doesnt appear to be in your budget (roughly around $5000 or more). You may be best off converting to 5 speed if thats all you want, it will take a pedal assembly, shifter assembly, transmission, clutch, etc.. To be honest, have you considered selling the car and buying something more your style?

Old 02-01-2005, 07:13 PM

I have given it thought, but since its not mine adn the rents arent sure about it im trying to see what my options are for keeping it and just making it manual, will it affect the car performance wise at all?

And i saw that someone else had it done for 2500, but sum1 said i u get parts in salvage yards then u can get it for around 800 for the stuff and 500-700 to get everything put in professionally. So now the question becaomes, what will fit? like waht shout i be looking for in a junk yard? I have the stock motor (1.7, dunno what numbers or series or whatver it is). So can sum1 tell me if i can get better performance out of the car with 5 spd tranny? mainly looking for acceleration. and a rough estimate of waht it costs to get stuff taken out of cars at salvage yad,s and if u do it yourself, how will i do it and waht do i take off the car. All help would be very awesome, thanks for yours so far locash.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: (rentacar4dr)

No offence, but its totally not worth it in my opinion. You need to get a K-series motor or abandon that platform (7th gen civic) altogether. Too many factors working against you, you'd end up dumping money in and not being satisfied with the results.

5spd conversion will make a difference but I think you'd just end up wanting more.

On the other hand, its a fine car for daily driving. Take it for what its worth, and maybe start building a fun car on the side.

/seriously not flaming
Old 02-02-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (dreamer)

Thanks for the help all, if i can fianlly convince my parents to let me get the manual conversion im gunna do that, if u had parents as strict as mine u'd murder them. All i really want is the manual tranny, was thinking, sicne its not mine and the tranny conversion to and back when i give back the car would be around $2000, so i might as well buy a 240sx for sale at 1800 and be satisfied with that for a while, but then insurance will go skyrocket coming off my parents name, plus being 19 with a traffic violation and a 2 dr wihtout ABS aintitheft or passanger airbag, it will be too much considering i only make 9.75 an hour working 25 hrs a week and going to school fulltiem which is about $2000 a semester after books. So thanks agian for the help and suggestions but im just gunna go with tranny and be cool with it till i have a secured income of atleast 800-1000 a month after all other expenses..

(if it is possible please close this thread, i tahk you all for the info, very greatly appreciated)

BTW dreamer i know ur not flaming me, its an honest thought, and my damn best bet hehe