Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire vtec

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to wire vtec

This is something that I see come up, and sometimes people get confused by the written instructions, so here's one with pics. This can also be used for wiring just about anything you need, like a knock sensor, IABs, o2 sensor, whatever. I HIGHLY suggest have a manual with a wiring diagram and the pinouts, for your ECU, you don't want to screw up now that your motors in right?

Ok, assuming you have a vtec motor in a non vtec car and you need to wire in vtec y0! here it is...

Our demonstrator model is a 95 CX with a OBD I B16A. So you have your motor in the car, and you are using XXXX engine harness, as long as you have the plugs (usually come with motors harness, even JDM, just remove the whole thing from sensor/solenoid, to canon plug from the harness)) you're good. First you need to run the wires...

BLU/BLK and GRN/YEL from here...

To the canon plugs (shock tower connectors)...

Now, if you are using the vtec harness there's no need to remove them as there should be nothing plugged into the connector on the other side (on a vtec car, such as a VX, or 92- early 93, this part is over, as it will have them already) the wires should match up to empty slots. But if there is something on the other side, simply remove them (vtec wires) to an empty slot with nothing on the otherside. For the cabin side of the canon plug, you ned to get the pin from the canon plug, to the ECU (junkyard). you need to get enough pins from a junker to connect whatever you are connecting.

Anyway now you have the wires going from the vtec solenoid, to the canon plug and out the other side...

Now, make sure the wire coming out of the cabin side of the canon plugs is long enough to go through the firewall, and to the ECU.

For the ECU connections same as the canon plugs, you need to acquire the pins. You can pull these out of a junker also. All the pins from the same generation are the same (there are two different sizes in each plug, you'll be using the smaller ones), and I was told that they are all the same from any model, and probably all generations, but I won't swear to it.

Here's how to remove the pins from the ECU...

If you want to take the time, you can pull the wire al the way from the ECU plug, to the canon plug, but I just splice a couple together and run them through hte firewall, it saves a lot of time.

Here is what you should have...

The ECU slots on the non vtec models should have nothing in place, just a hole. At this point you should know where the pins go, BLU/BLK to D6, GRN/YEL to A4, so what are you waiting for, plug them in already...

Any time you need to splice wires together, I suggest soldering them when done, if you can't, at least use a good male/female plug, I like these...

Now, you should have vtec y0!, drive around let your car warm up and then let it rip (provided you aren't still throwing a CEL code). If everything is kosher, bolt in your ECU, wrap everything up, and blend it into your harness for that nice clean look.

You can also by pass the canon plug, and run a hardwire all the way from sensor to ECU, this works to, but doesn't look as clean.

Here is some more wiring pics, to give you some ideas. In the first one, I am using a VX harness (5 wire o2) on a B16A (four wire o2) in a CX (1 wire o2) so I had some issues . Anyway, after figuring out what wires were what, I used my handy connectors and connected...

For the switched 12V, I used the plug full of YEL/BLKs on the driver side, that goes to the main relay (thanks Poison), and spliced into one of the wires, then ran it to the o2 taping it into the harness once it was all connected, running right...

If anyone found a mistake, or has something to add feel free. I hope this can help someone that like me isn't real confident in their wiring abilities.

A funny antidote that happened during this, so, my car even though it was a CX had a VX motor in it, so it was wired for vtec, sort of. Anyway there was no vtec kicking in, and I was throwing CEL 21, so I looked, and realized the guy that had swapped in the VX motor, had mix up the vtec wires, so I unplugged the canon plug and made sure what was where, and undid the wires, and switch the two of them right. Well, I get in the car and go to start it, and it's cranking, but nothing, like it has no fuel. So I was like "****" pull the codes. I get 6, 15, 21, 41, so I am thinking that switching the wires really screwed something up, so I go and re wire tham like they were, and am looking at it, and then realize, duh, I didn't plug the canon plug back in , So I plug it in and get no codes, I was right, they were backwards, so I went for a cruise to make sure all CELs were gone, hammered it, and all is good.

Modified by 92b16vx at 11:36 PM 7/10/2004

Modified by 92b16vx at 3:09 PM 4/24/2005

Modified by 92b16vx at 3:12 PM 4/24/2005
Old 09-07-2004, 11:12 AM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to wire vtec (92b16vx)

thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: How to wire vtec (SkoundrelUSA)

make her a sticky
Old 09-08-2004, 04:45 AM

im saving this one for the noobs
Old 09-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my ecu plugs from an Accord (only Honda at the junk yard) they plugged right into my ecu. So after my vacation I get to do the fun wiring part of my swap. But I get to add the knock sensor too.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (mental1)

Thanks a whole lot, I'm doing the same swap in my 94 hatch.

I have a cx with a jdm b16a, I ordered the hasport swap harness and I'm using it with the cx engine harness. Is there anything different I should consider or will it be as explained? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chinaon20s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chinaon20s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks a whole lot, I'm doing the same swap in my 94 hatch.

I have a cx with a jdm b16a, I ordered the hasport swap harness and I'm using it with the cx engine harness. Is there anything different I should consider or will it be as explained? Your help is greatly appreciated!</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you're using the HAsport subharness, you should be good. From my understaning of it, they make it plug and play.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: (92b16vx)

Thanks that what I wanted to hear!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chinaon20s)

nice write up , this should help many people
Old 12-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93hatched_projekt)

bump for GOOD INFO!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Re: (slayersluck)

hmm, when i sent my wire to the a4 plug it it spits a CEL which is for low voltage to the tps sensor and it backfires and idles really bad when I turn it on, I unplug it and it's all good but no vtec.... any ideas?

Modified by b0park at 9:08 PM 12/14/2004
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BLU/BLK and GRN/YEL from here...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which one goes to A4 and which one goes to D6?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to wire vtec (itsmike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itsmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which one goes to A4 and which one goes to D6? </TD></TR></TABLE>
BLU/BLK to D6, GRN/YEL to A4. Sorry, I have been in Iraq, and thanks for pointing that out, and helping make this more complete.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The only thing is that only 92's are prewired for VTEC, so you are going to have to wire everything up if you have a 93 and up.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to wire vtec (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing is that only 92's are prewired for VTEC, so you are going to have to wire everything up if you have a 93 and up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by original post &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, if you are using the vtec harness there's no need to remove them as there should be nothing plugged into the connector on the other side (on a vtec car, such as a VX, or 92- early 93, this part is over, as it will have them already)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 PM