Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help dear god/ B20 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help dear god/ B20 problem

I have a94 civic hatchback cx. I swapped in a jdm b-20. i used my stock harness a 94 integra LS ECU, my stock injectors, and i did all of the necesary change over stuff such as an obd1 distributor etc. I was advised to use my stock injectors because like the b-20 they are 240cc and will supposedly work with the ls computer since they are both obd1. the car ran like crap so i checked engine codes, and found that i was getting codes for o2 sensor and intake air temp sensor. i replaced the intake air temperature sensor and changed over to 92 dx wiring harness so that i could run the neccessary four wire o2 sensor. the codes went away but the problems still persist.

The symptoms are: every time i give it more than 25% throttle it dies. it is like i am trying to launch in 5th gear and then it just dies. i have all of my sensors hooked up correctly. i have had my friend who is a tech for honda and an all around smart **** when it comes to engine swaps help me and he can not figure it out either.

Now, a guy i know who is also pretty reputable( he is the one who told me to post on this forum) he told me that i should swap in an obd2 integra ls wiring harness and use the distributor and injectors that originally came with the motor. but he says i can i can still use the obd1 LS computer that i have and it will all work. Is he right do you guys think that will help.

will an OBD1 LS ecu work with an obd2 harness injectors and distributor in an obd1 civic?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help dear god/ B20 problem (Mr.E.G.)

Dude I dont think you can use an D2 harness w/ a D1 ECU. I could be wrong, anyways, check ALL your wiring and then check it again. Sounds like somethings not wired up right. Hope you figure it out.

Blaze
Old 05-07-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the valve cover off and make sure your timing belt is on right. does everything line up at TDC? Also are you certain that the distributor your using is good?
Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 PM

Yes, don't go through all the trouble of using obd2 **** when it's not necessary...I hate those answers, look people, this isn't brain surgery, if you are using an OBD1 ecu IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YEAR ENGINE YOU HAVE! use the obd1 dizzy and harness, you CAN use the obd2dizzy and harness but you allready have the other stuff.
Have you finally cleared all the codes? Did you check timing w/ a light and ALSO check the timing belt? compression test? your honda guy hasnt suggested none of the above to you?
Old 05-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try using the stock b20 injectors....sounds like your car is not getting enough gas.. make sure, all your injector clips are properly clipped on and make sure that you put back all the o-rings on all the injectors b4 u put them on the rail...if theres air in the fuel system, the car will run like ****... Put your hand over the intake manifold and rev the motor, if u feel or hear lots of air(kinda like a sucking noise) then you definitely are missing an o-ring on the injector.. Do you still have any codes? Also make sure your timing is right...and make sure your spark plugs are pretty decent... How long did your car sit before you did the swap? Your gas might have gone stale too...
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help dear god/ B20 problem (chidoks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chidoks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try using the stock b20 injectors....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock b20 injectors are obd2. I would see if your map and tps sensors are switched. They use the same kind of plug and when switched your car runs like shti.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help dear god/ B20 problem (97hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stock b20 injectors are obd2. I would see if your map and tps sensors are switched. They use the same kind of plug and when switched your car runs like shti.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no difference between OBD1 and OBD2 civic and integra injectors. They are both saturated injectors that flow at 240cc's without the need for an injectors resistor box. The only difference in injectors would be the OBD0 civic/integra injectors which flow at 240cc's too, but are Peak and Hold and require an injector resistor box.

Yes, check for any codes your ecu might be showing. I suspect something to do with vacuum, and sounds like a MAP sensor or TPS problem. Also double check your mechanical and ignition timing. Good luck.

P.S. Stick with your OBD1 setup, no need to swap out harnesses at all. You motor is getting enough fuel, and even if it were running a little lean it wouldn't affect it to this extent. Make sure your injectors work good and aren't clogged.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help dear god/ B20 problem (97hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stock b20 injectors are obd2. I would see if your map and tps sensors are switched. They use the same kind of plug and when switched your car runs like shti.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's the first thing i would check for!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i agree with the other guys, dont swap to that OBD2 harness if its not needed. although it will plug right into the civic cab harness.
the typical TPS swapped with MAP sensor will not throw a code. but upon startup usually it tends to need throttle above 1500RPM to stay running. also it will throw out smoke like theres no tomorrow. id guess its getting readings to make the car run super rich. if this is not a symptom u r getting i doubt its the MAP swapped with the TPS.
i dont think timing will b an issue. a tooth off the T belt maybe but i highly doubt timing. timing doesnt affect performance like that. IF u were to let a car idle u can crank the timing all the way up, usually causing the idle to go up slightly or u can turn the timing all the way down and the idle will go down as a result just for an example.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help dear god/ B20 problem (hondaatwsu)

Do you have an A/F meter? Mine runs super lean normally. I disconnected the map sensor to put it retard mode and it runs a little better (drivable). Before I couldn't go more than 17% throttle before detonation set in....12:1 B20B/LS ECU