Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets!!??!!

Old 07-16-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gaskets!!??!!

Need some suggestions on a head gasket for a LS/VTEC. 85mm bore. 2K miles on short block.

I hope no one recommends Cometic. I have had nothing but bad luck with them. I have blown 2 of them within the first 15 miles of driving. Not hard driving either!

I have also blown a stock gasket that has been cut to fit 85mm bore.

I know you are all probably thinking...why cut a stock gasket to fit 85mm bore? You are reducing the size of the fire ring. Wasn't my idea. But the funny thing is... that gasket lasted 2K miles instead of Cometic's 15miles.

Last question... Is it recommended to re-torque cylinder head after 1 heating and cooling cycle? That is one thing that I haven't tried yet. Only reason is that the Acura dealership says NO. I would rather hear if from some other people on this.

Also head is being checked for straightness.

thanks!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Head Gaskets!!??!! (Shft@9GSR)

There might be something wrong with the way you torque the head down if you keep blowing the Head Gasket.
You have to do an incremental step. Start from 15lbs, then 20 then 25 and so on until all bolts are up to spec. Each step should follow the sequence of bolt pattern specified by acura. Its tedious but keeps the head as flat as possible to the block for proper sealing.

If you were torquing the head down correctly and still breaking the gaskets, U must be running some serious boost or comp ratio.

[Modified by johnd, 9:53 AM 7/17/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Head Gaskets!!??!! (johnd)

How do you know you blew your headgaskets? What are the signs. I thought that my head gasket was blown and switched it ou t but the problem of high pressurein my radiator still exists. I haven't even driven it yet after i installed the headgasket. I let it idle in the garage.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head Gaskets!!??!! (ImportRacing)

How do you know you blew your headgaskets? What are the signs. I thought that my head gasket was blown and switched it ou t but the problem of high pressurein my radiator still exists. I haven't even driven it yet after i installed the headgasket. I let it idle in the garage.
um, there is meant to be high pressure in the radiator...

???

t..
Old 07-17-2002, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Head Gaskets!!??!! (ImportRacing)

I knew the gasket was blown when I was blowing white smoke and my oil looked like a milkshake. And boy is it pissing me off!!!!