Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble w/ conversion harness, need help.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble w/ conversion harness, need help.

set up:
99 civic dx
96 jdm b16
custom turbo kit, w/ fmu and missing link, stock injectors

I'm using a obd 2b si engine harness w/ a obd 2b p2t ecu. When I first did the swap the engine harness was given to me free because it had been hacked pretty good due to the previous ower having a v-afc and doing a messy job. So I had a friend soder it together and it seems to be working alright. I'm missing an O2 sensor and since the engine is jdm it did not come w/ the crank angle sensor. Also I do not have the sensor that goes on top of the intake manifold plugged in because the manifold does not have an opening for it. Ok, when I'm running it like this the only CEL that I get is the O2 sensor.

So I bought an obd1 jdm p72 and a obd2 - obd1 conversion harness to rid of the CEL. When I turned the car on it goes away, then when I go into boost sometimes like around 80 mph in fifth gear the CEL turns on and the car feels real under powered. So I turn the car off as I'm driving and then turn it on again and the CEL goes away. Then I drive for a while longer it comes back on usually as I'm accelerating and barely creep into boost. So I have jut been running the car w/ the obd2 ecu and the CEL and it drives a lot better.

I tried trouble shooting it so I borrowed another harness and ecu from a friend and
it does the same. At first I figuered it was either the ecu or the harness but it does it when I changed them as well. So now I'm thinking that it could be the actual engine harness, but it doesn't do that when I have the obd2 ecu on the car, only w/ the conversion harness and obd1 ecu.

These problems have been happening before and while having my v-afc. Another problem that I have is that when I change the vtec crossover to lower than 5500 rpms on the vafc, when I am driving it boggs real bad during crossover and then it takes off hard. Even when I use the obd1 ecu it does the same thing, right now I'm stumped and I cannot find a solution, so I'm just running the car obd2 and vtec crossover at 5500 rpms.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Having trouble w/ conversion harness, need help. (jdmhatchie)

yes the car will run like crap with o2 sensor cel specially under boost.. gsr ecu to run b16 not a good idea fuel maps are way different..... your harness seeams fine if the o2 code is the only thing you get....

recheck the vafc wiring i bet you any money thats where your problem is
Old 05-03-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Having trouble w/ conversion harness, need help. (H23vtecEG)

I checked the codes today, when I'm running the obd2 ecu I'm getting CEL 54 and 65. Then when I run the p72 I get CEL 21 and 22. I need to find out what these codes are. I don't think it's the wiring because it was doing that before the v-afc.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Having trouble w/ conversion harness, need help. (jdmhatchie)

21 and 22 vtec oil pressure switch and vtec
65 is O2 sensor heater

dont know 45 im me if you have more questions