Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP

Ok as some may know I have had some issues shifting my car. At first I thought it was just the clutch .

I originally used a street pp with a 6 puck. Car shifted great.
Car started creeping through the beams on the 2 step so i swapped clutches.

The new clutch wouldnt allow me to shift at all at higher Rpms. It was almost like i was hitting a brick wall.

Switched back to old clutch and the problem was solved.

Built the new motor and i knew that the street clutch wouldnt hold it. I spoke to the clutch manufacturer and Evolution and they both agreed that the clutch wasnt disengaging enough to allow me to go into the next gear.

The solution was to shave the flywheel 15 thousandths to allow more room. So i did this and it still wouldnt shift. So i assumed it was the clutch again.
Before the last race i swapped to a 3 rd clutch thinking it would help. But still no luck.

When you look at the slave cylinder , the fork is almost completely depressing it when the car is standing still. This led us to believe that maybe the car was over engaging the clutch. So we tried a clutch stop ( as a temp fix) and still no luck.

I have included 2 pictures-
First is a pic of my slave cylinder and how it sits and the 2nd is another evo swapped h2b that has no problem shifting. You can see how mine is different.

I have swapped slaves, masters, throw out. Some people may say its a trans issue but that doesnt explain why the one street clutch works fine.

It makes me want to give up on the whole h2b deal

Any info would help

Mine

Working clutch on other car
Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for info on this issue. Good luck man!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (2fastGSR)

Did your H22 come from an automatic? If so, did you replace the flywheel bolts? I think the Evo kit comes with new longer flywheel bolts to put up for the space of its length, but just wondering. Have you remove the flywheel and checked behind it for something pushing it out?

Hell, have you checked to see if the pressure plate is binding on any part of the bellhousing?? If the street disc works, can I guess you have a different pressure plate on the race clutch? Measure the height of each pressure plate?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 AM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (MoonScryer)

Yes i did replace the flywheel bolts. the auto flywheel bolts are not even long enough to catch threads.

Behind the flywheel is normal, I thought that at first too.

Presure plate was not binding on any place as much as we could see.

I actually have not measured the height on each of the pressure plates, that is a good idea. I will have to see
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jake, have you had someone press the clutch pedal in and seeing how much the fork moves? looks like the splines on the pressure plate where the throw out rests are too far out..
Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only fix that i can think off that will definitely solve your clutch woes will be getting a different H2B kit.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (AllMotorRandy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllMotorRandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only fix that i can think off that will definitely solve your clutch woes will be getting a different H2B kit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you referring to the original h2b kit made by quarter sport drag, also known as QSD!?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (YeeJ6)

I'll take one please . . .
Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope i don't get those problems.. qsd wanted here too lol
Old 07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YeeJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you referring to the original h2b kit made by quarter sport drag, also known as QSD!? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had plenty of passes on our QSD kit with no clutch issues. The only problem that i had with it not going into gear was because the CM FX700 twin disc had too much pedal pressure and was not engaging properly. we have since addressed the the pressure plate issue and all i'm doing is waiting on a few more parts (and money ) to put my race motor together. for QSD!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM

it looks from the picture that the slave cylinder piston is pressed in to the slave cylinder body to far at a rested position. The paint peeling away from the fork and the slave cylinder may hint to a broken piston seal, and therefore not enough hydraulic pressure to move the fork far enough.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (lollypopking)

i remember reading about a guy on this forum that had a really heavy duty clutch in his b series. was was having engagment problems too. turns out that the Pressure plate was so stiff that when he was pressing on the clutch pedal the braket for the clutch pedal was actually bending and flexing. its a long shot but its worth a look.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe you can use a qsd spacer with flywheel of choice.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 AM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (SIXTY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you can use a qsd spacer with flywheel of choice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about trying to buy just the spacer, longer bolts, and the slave spacer but i wasnt sure if that would all work correctly
Old 07-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2fastGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was thinking about trying to buy just the spacer, longer bolts, and the slave spacer but i wasnt sure if that would all work correctly</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe the EVO H2B kit uses a thiner adapter plate.... someone correct me if i'm wrong
Old 07-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless EVO has changed their design i beleive thats correct.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always thought both plates were 1/2" thick.......

Anyways my QSD/ITR trans shifts like a brand new trans should Can't go wrong with QSD imo....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lollypopking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The paint peeling away from the fork and the slave cylinder may hint to a broken piston seal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking the same thing, slave cly. looks beat
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 AM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (88ED8)

thats only because I removed and re installed the slave right before those pics were taken.

The rust on the fork is from the transmission being taken out thirty times in the past 2 months. Stuff gets banged around. When i have races in close timeframes of each other i leave the car at my house (no garage) instead of at my fathers house (garage) . So un treated metal will rust . . .

But I agree the slave needs to be replaced anyways
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88ED8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyways my QSD/ITR trans shifts like a brand new trans should Can't go wrong with QSD imo.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly...... my QSD kit is tried and proven. even people using the flywheel spacer don't have any problems!
Old 07-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllMotorRandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my thoughts exactly...... my QSD kit is tried and proven. even people using the flywheel spacer don't have any problems!</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd. I like the versatility of the qsd kit for race applications.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i understand ur problem...we had this problem when installing a newer clutch as well. the car just wouldnt let itself be put into gear....

the solution was to take the clutch pedal off completely and adjust the bolt that pulls the clutch master cylinder closer toward the firewall so that the pp opens fully...its a cantilever system under there in 98 coupes... not sure what youre working on, but for some reason the pedal just needed to be stiffer to open up the pp on an h2b setup no matter how much we bled the clutch slave

all in all its a matter of pedal adjustment an bleeding the clutch line good and judgng by the pics uve posted, it looks like u need to bleed the hell out of that thing and then mess with the pedal too.

another tip if u run into this problem:

to avoid gear popouts or what have you, u need a b-series linkage that is specific to your chasis....

92-95 civics can use 94-01 integra linkage
96-00 civics must use 2000 civic si linkage.
integra must use 94-01 integra (duh)
hope this helps.

Modified by saikouEF8 at 6:17 PM 7/5/2008
Old 07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP (saikouEF8)

jake, before you do anything please, please, please install new master and slave cylinders just to make sure these arent the problems, i can guarantee they are both leaking . and get them oem from honda or steve, believe me its a 50% chance youll get a bad one from autozone, pepboys or napa

and if you want i will gladly pull my trans and compare evo parts side by side just to make sure everything is in order, just let me know

from seeing it first hand i believe the problem could very well have to do w/ a couple things. the leaking master and slave cylinders for sure. but also either the shift fork, throwout bearing or pressure plates being goofy for some reason.

anyway let me know if you need a hand, i will gladly help you get this problem solved. just need to make sure everything is as it should be first to get a good starting point. and remember, after 2nd has gotten beat up so much it will probably need to be rebuilt or at least cleaned up

Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone get this sorted?

my clutch in my old h2b looks like this

dosnt engage untill the last few mm of releasing the clutch pedal, and im sure its just slipping at higher RPM!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well 2fastgsr fixed his problem by going QSD

and now he's building a true k killer no mo H2B fo him
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP

From looking at that picture either the flywheel, pressure plate, disc package is pushed too far out from the flywheel or the pressure plate is not being preloaded enough. If you take the tranny off are the fingers on the pressure plate pointing out towards you, or are they flat?

Quick Reply: H2B Clutch Problem. . . HELP