Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H23aVTEC build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23aVTEC build

Im building an h23aVTEC and I've got some questions. I realize that alot of you guys say its not worth it, but I have both motors and I need parts from both of them to make 1 working motor. Anyway, here's the setup.

I have a 1995 accord lx (it has an external coil distributor). I have a complete 1992 h23a swap (has external coil). I also have a 2000 h22a4 longblock (has internal coil).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The h22a has a busted crankshaft. Some idiot that worked on the motor before me snapped the flywheel bolts off inside the threads at the end of the cranshaft and managed to crack one of the threaded holes too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I want to take the pistons and rods from the h22a and put them into the h23a block and use the h23a crank. And then take the head from the h22a and put it on the h23a. I like the fact that the h23a is closed deck vs. the 2000 h22a open deck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard that the F22a crank in my stock motor has the same stroke as the h23a crank. Can anyone verify this? If so, then why arn't you guys swapping over your cranks when you swap motors? If it does work to make a 2.3 VTEC out of an h22a, then thats free torque from a motor that you are going to throw out anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also realize that I need to take components from the timing belt side of the h22a and place them on to the h23a. Seems to me like the only h22a part that needs to be used on the timing belt side of the h23a is the water pump (since it has more teeth) Everything else looks the same, but I have all the parts from both motors so I'll figure it out when the time comes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question about the timing belt tensioner. The h22a has an "automatic" tensioner and the h23a has a manual one? I will provide pics in a later post in this thread. Which one should I use and why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have heard that the the oil squirters will bolt up to the h23 block, but they will contact the pistons. I have read that you can bend the squirters out of the way though and I will try this. Anyone running without squirters?
The h22a also has a sensor on the crank (where the timing belt gear is) The h23a does not. Do I need to swap this sensor over if I have a 1995 accord?
I don't have an ECU at the moment, but I plan on buying a JDM P13 ecu since its OBD1 and my car is OBD1. The h22a head is OBD2 though since its from a 2000. What issues am I going to run into with that? Injectors? Can I use the h23a injectors? Distributor? Since my car is external coil and the h23a is external coil, can I run the h23a distributor on the h22a head?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That pretty much sums it up, if I left anything out I will add it later. I know its alot of info that I'm asking for, but if all the experienced guys chip in their thoughts, we can eventually turn this thread into an h23aVTEC FAQ. And I'll have a working motor to testify that the FAQ is correct. I will also start posting pics to clear up some confusion in my questions, which can also be added to the FAQ. Thanks in advance.