Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H23 del sol

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23 del sol

just wondering, has anybody done an H23 swap to a sol?

if so could i see some pics. oh and any comments about the swap likes/ dislikes would be much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23 del sol (Biggz105)

...anybody?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the h23 is going to be exactly like the h22, just with out vtec
Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rpared01)

i mean i know that, but im sayin i would like some opinions on it. as in opinions on if the handeling takes a loss with a heavier motor...stuff like that.

and i wouldent mind seein some engine bay pics
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Biggz105)

Dont waste your time with that motor..If your going duel cam non vtec go LS...
Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmeg6118)

i already have an H23 at my house and i want to use it.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have axel's the ecu tranny etc other wiring? or just the longblock ?goodluck..
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmeg6118)

i have the whole prelude in my yard, but i guess out of that the only thing i can use is the block for the swap.

unless somebody needs a 92 SE lude for parts, i think im gonna use the h23 out of it. its got bent valves, but i just planned on building the block if i were to do the swap. im just tryin to get an some feelers on if people think it would be a good idea or not.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Biggz105 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the whole prelude in my yard, but i guess out of that the only thing i can use is the block for the swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

then do the swap...i &lt;3 H series
Old 04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

yeah me too, and id be a sick motor to turbo.

but turbo would be way down the road.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Biggz105 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah me too, and id be a sick motor to turbo.

but turbo would be way down the road. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, itll be a peppy little car, nice amount of torque on a stock block, and responds well to turbo

its like an b18 LS on steroids
Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Biggz105 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i mean i know that, but im sayin i would like some opinions on it. as in opinions on if the handeling takes a loss with a heavier motor...stuff like that.

and i wouldent mind seein some engine bay pics </TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine is barely heavier

Go H2B.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/684550

The engine weight thread. As you may see, the H meaning HEAVY is actually not true. Anyways enjoy your H, del Sol's are quite heavy, so they would benefit greatly from good torque. Enjoy it!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gibsanez)

Yeah thats probly what ill do. the B series transmissions are all around better than the H series ones also to, huh?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I've read, that they are stronger, and better geared, but research more into it.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: (Juan_Mitosis)

They are not stronger, and they are only geared better for NA... They do handle high R's better too, but raw power under 8k rpm, the h series tranny is way more stout, and the gearing is much better
Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oneludesol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are not stronger, and they are only geared better for NA... They do handle high R's better too, but raw power under 8k rpm, the h series tranny is way more stout, and the gearing is much better</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, what? Did you just say the H gearing is "better" than the B gearing? Better how?

Also, a lot of people tend to complain about the high RPM shifting in the H transmissions, and many prefer the rod shifted B trans to the cable H transmission.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:30 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gibsanez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok, what? Did you just say the H gearing is "better" than the B gearing? Better how?

Also, a lot of people tend to complain about the high RPM shifting in the H transmissions, and many prefer the rod shifted B trans to the cable H transmission. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the h gearing in my opinion is better for high hp boost apps (300+), and b gearing is better for na. Yes I also said that the h trannies do not like high R's, but are stronger in terms of power handling if you can keep it under 8k. what people fail to realize is that the reputation of h22 trannies being weak comes from their inability to stay together past 8k, and they are less forgiving when it comes to asinine shifting techniques.

Now the reason I suggested staying with the h tranny is that the op said he wanted to turbo eventually, if he does not go h2b, he wont have to buy the kit or tranny which will save him around $1800 total, which will put him in a position to put together a pretty beefy turbo kit right now.

on the other hand if the op's goals were a 12 second NA h22 w\head work and maybe the bottle I would most definately agree that h2b is the way to go
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

300+ horsepower will have traction problems no matter what transmission you use

But the longer gearing of the H would help down low. Hasn't stopped some people from doing turbo H2B's though
Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

no not at all, am im not in any way anti h2b either, but dollar for dollar if you are going for big power under 8k rpm, the h tranny is a better choice. Also if you want to keep ac, h2b is not going to allow that, especially if you turbo.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh oh, do a frankin h. get rid of the h23 head and look for an h22 head.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no not at all, am im not in any way anti h2b either, but dollar for dollar if you are going for big power under 8k rpm, the h tranny is a better choice. Also if you want to keep ac, h2b is not going to allow that, especially if you turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nahh ac isnt a priority. i probly woulda taken that out regardless what i did/ do.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the h gearing in my opinion is better for high hp boost apps (300+), and b gearing is better for na. Yes I also said that the h trannies do not like high R's, but are stronger in terms of power handling if you can keep it under 8k. what people fail to realize is that the reputation of h22 trannies being weak comes from their inability to stay together past 8k, and they are less forgiving when it comes to asinine shifting techniques.

Now the reason I suggested staying with the h tranny is that the op said he wanted to turbo eventually, if he does not go h2b, he wont have to buy the kit or tranny which will save him around $1800 total, which will put him in a position to put together a pretty beefy turbo kit right now.

on the other hand if the op's goals were a 12 second NA h22 w\head work and maybe the bottle I would most definately agree that h2b is the way to go</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the kinda feedback im talkin about. the options of the swap.

im a highschool student, so money is a big factor in this. im trying to see what would be the best set-up for the money. yes i did say i want to turbo down the road, but not really lookin for 300+ HP.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Biggz105 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nahh ac isnt a priority. i probly woulda taken that out regardless what i did/ do.

thats the kinda feedback im talkin about. the options of the swap.

im a highschool student, so money is a big factor in this. im trying to see what would be the best set-up for the money. yes i did say i want to turbo down the road, but not really lookin for 300+ HP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is your budget exactly? My best advice to you would be to keep your ac, trust me on this.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Biggz105 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ive always wondered how AC served a purpose in a convertible...

im a highschool student, so money is a big factor in this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2...im a junior,Sucks huh?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ive always wondered how AC served a purpose in a convertible...

X2...im a junior,Sucks huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hell yeah it sucks. and yeah if it was hot outside then id have the top off.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what is your budget exactly? My best advice to you would be to keep your ac, trust me on this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the concern, but here in north cakka it dosent get too too hot. but i feel you on where your coming from. plus its weight off the car, and ill probly take the PS out also.

my budget is whatever i can put into it out of what i make this summer wich will be somewhere around 2g's.

Quick Reply: H23 del sol