Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 guru please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default H22 guru please help

I have h22 in 93 del sol, and the motor runs fine, but there no power under acceleration. It feels slower than my single cam. I'm running a p28 chipped ecu, z6 wiring harness, and peak and hold injectors with a resistor box. I'm running a modified fuel line (universal autozone inline fuel filter).

Checked spark
Checked tdc
Checked timing
Only throwing ECT code (no biggie)

It feels like it's not getting enough fuel under acceleration but injectors are working, I've been driving it to and from work, it just doesn't have enough power.
Any suggestions for the fuel line, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 guru please help (93delslo)

well it wont go into vtec if it has a ect code.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: H22 guru please help (Bserieskllr)

Vtec is not my problem, if it ran like a h22 without vtec i wouldn't be so worried about it, it is a lot slower than that. I know i need to replace that sensor, but that isn't causing my problem. I've been messing around with it for a while now, and i think it is fuel related, but i'm not sure. I have a new fuel pump, that worked fine on my single cam before i did the swap, so i know that isn't the issue. My best guess is that it is somewhere between the fuel pump and the fuel rail, or the injectors themselves, but i'm not sure. I'm using the stock 4th gen lude injectors off a resistor box. I saw a few other people having this problem in the past (yes I searched first), but nobody ever said how they fixed it (if they fixed it). I swear my d15 was faster.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:43 PM

i'm guess i'm going to try getting rid of that inline filter autozone bs, and see if that is restricting fuel. If this doesn't work, I don't know what to do, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of fuel pump do u have? stock? does it feel like its bogging or what?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: H22 guru please help (hondaZvic)

not stock, aftermarket, replaced a week before the swap and i know its putting out the 60 psi it's supposed to. Up to about 1500 rpms feels about normal, then rate of acceleration dies. I don't have any idle problems, and with the exception of the ect code, everything else works perfectly. This is my first hybrid car, and i was just wondering if there could be anything else I may have missed. So far all i know is that the h series motors are nothing like b and d (all i have experience with). I also know that air intake is fine, i even disabled the dual butterfly mechanism on the intake manifold. Please let me know if i've missed something but the only thing I can think of is it being a fuel problem.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 PM

Im goin through the same thing, i need Ecu Help/whole new ecu.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 guru please help (EvilSol)

-Try a different ecu.

-Open your dizzy cap and look for red dust. If there is some, it means your dizzy is about to eat it.

H22's can be tricky. Even if you think that ect code is not biggie it may be setting the ecu into a form of limp mode.

Also, check your o2 sensor, from what i know it regulates fuel flow at low rpm's before you base maps take over.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: H22 guru please help (DarkKnight[DMD])

evilsol, what ecu are you running? I'm running a p28 with the h22 fuel maps overwriting the p28. I've tried switching to p72 maps too, and the car runs differently, but I can't say it is better. As far as limp mode, that sensor will throw me into limp mode, but I have a friend with a lude running in limp mode too, and he could walk me right now regadless of the cars' weight differences.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to jack this thread, but im having a similar problem..in mine there is like not vtec around 55-6 nothing it barely goes anywhere... the only code im throwin is the egr...could i be i limp mode
Old 05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (c1civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c1civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to jack this thread, but im having a similar problem..in mine there is like not vtec around 55-6 nothing it barely goes anywhere... the only code im throwin is the egr...could i be i limp mode</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely, I have the same problem from time to time. Try restartjng your car before a run and see if it feels any different. When I do this after driving the car for a while there's always a large difference, but then again, i KNOW mine is going into limp mode.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93delslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">evilsol, what ecu are you running? I'm running a p28 with the h22 fuel maps overwriting the p28. I've tried switching to p72 maps too, and the car runs differently, but I can't say it is better. As far as limp mode, that sensor will throw me into limp mode, but I have a friend with a lude running in limp mode too, and he could walk me right now regadless of the cars' weight differences.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should give that a try as well. I don't know why, but it seems to be a pretty prevalent problem with h22's. I'm getting my rechipped p28 in today (running jdm p13 right now) and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Otherwise, and this goes for all of you, pull your spark plugs to make sure you aren't leaning out or detonating. If all else fails, take it to a dyno to confirm your suspicions of a flat hp curve or loss of power. Unfortunately, that's the only definitive way to be certain of your problem.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so how do i get out of limp mode
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (c1civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight[DMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]

Try restartjng your car before a run and see if it feels any different. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-26-2004, 05:26 PM

i have the same swap in a 94 hatch. i have noticed that with different ecus they act different. right now im running a 93 del sol with a sir map and a feels chip. it runs smooth but i lost a little top end. the only computer that works well and with out a flaw is the stock ecu.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: H22 guru please help (killer hatch)

to get your car out of limp mode, you have to get rid of your cel.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93delslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Only throwing ECT code (no biggie)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fix the code first.

brian g
Old 05-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 guru please help (brian g)

93delslo, u said u disabled ur butterflies.... how so? are they always open or shut now? i know this has been debated over and over.. but i believe that if the butterflies are in there.. then they should be working... mine are.. and i'm very happy with them.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93delslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to get your car out of limp mode, you have to get rid of your cel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And to do that you must either remove your ecu for a few minutes or unplug the battery. Restarting the car only doesn't display the cel but it is still there.

Try checking for a code right after you start the car, you will still get the code even if the cel is not luminated.

There has been debate over this and from experience, EGR doesn't cause the car to go into limp mode.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 guru please help (SeaQuake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaQuake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And to do that you must either remove your ecu for a few minutes or unplug the battery. Restarting the car only doesn't display the cel but it is still there.

Try checking for a code right after you start the car, you will still get the code even if the cel is not luminated.

There has been debate over this and from experience, EGR doesn't cause the car to go into limp mode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i second all of this.

but if yalls cars are going into limp mode... chances are.. its for a pretty good reason... and just simply resetting ur ecu will probally not fix it... my car doesnt just go into limp mode for the hell of it... something is wrong.. find out what it is and fix it. ahhaha...

and yes again on the egr. <U>EGR CEL DOES NOT CAUSE LIMP MODE!!!!!!!</U>
my code 12 comes on all the time... and like i said im not in limp mode.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of exhaust are you running? is your cat clogged?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 guru please help (breakaway)

Well, I switched to a chipped P28 last night and I haven't (gotten a CEL for egr ) felt that the car went into limp mode since i've had it in.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and yes again on the egr. <U>EGR CEL DOES NOT CAUSE LIMP MODE!!!!!!!</U>
my code 12 comes on all the time... and like i said im not in limp mode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disgree. I know that it *should* not make it go in to "limp" mode, but I have a problem of when the car(s) would drive for a bit, they would go in to a "limp" mode. It happened in two different, both running JDM P13 and not running EGR. I do not think that it happens to all H22a swaps that do not have EGR hooked up but it happen to me.

hondazvic, you remove the EGR or just leave it there unhooked?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 guru please help (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I disgree. I know that it *should* not make it go in to "limp" mode, but I have a problem of when the car(s) would drive for a bit, they would go in to a "limp" mode. It happened in two different, both running JDM P13 and not running EGR. I do not think that it happens to all H22a swaps that do not have EGR hooked up but it happen to me.

hondazvic, you remove the EGR or just leave it there unhooked?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have mine unhooked. I guess only you know how your car is driving. I am 100% sure that it doesn't put mine into limp mode.

H22a in eh2. JDM P13 ecu.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 guru please help (SeaQuake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaQuake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have mine unhooked. I guess only you know how your car is driving. I am 100% sure that it doesn't put mine into limp mode.

H22a in eh2. JDM P13 ecu. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm, starting to think it is the ECU(s) that we are using.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Re: H22 guru please help (turbogixxer)

There are a few things that could cause your problems.fist about the egr you need to understand what it is and what it does.disconnected doesnt always work.the valve can go bad so if your not using it, plate it off.remember it recirculates exhaust gasses from your number 4 cylander and cycles those gasses through the intake manifold.so if the gasses are constintlly moving the car will run like crap.anyway you said you were using a chipped p 28 so it will not code because of the egr.single slams dont have an egr. so the first thing i would do take some sheet metal and make a solid gasket ,block off the egr .now pull the code.if you give me more info i can help.

2001 h22 accord turbo
93 h22 hatch t3 60-1 big boy.

Quick Reply: H22 guru please help