Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 in EG6 Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:45 AM
HT Black Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 in EG6 Question

I've been wanting to put a H22 in my car for some time now, but I live in Arizona where it was 116 degree(10' off the ground and in the shade) yesterday.. The only thing stopping me is I can't figure out a way to do it while keeping my AC. Does anyone have any Idea's?

Also if I can't keep my AC does anyone know what mounts to use if I want to shoehorn in the h22 into my 1984 CRX?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 in EG6 Question (92 civic VX B18c)

are you doing it in an 5th gen civic or a 1st gen crx?

Hasports + HCP a/c mount + idling with a/c on= vibration city....your dashboard looks like it's going to fall off. ('92 CX)

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have bothered with the a/c.

Too much vibration, and I'm pretty sure the a/c bracket doesn't line up completely parallel with the other pullies.....it slowly shreads through the alternator belt, and it won't ever bite good. With the a/c on, the belt will just start slipping and screeching, even when it's taught enough.

My H22 project

H22 projects when going good
Old 08-12-2003, 01:04 PM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: H22 in EG6 Question (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you doing it in an 5th gen civic or a 1st gen crx?

Hasports + HCP a/c mount + idling with a/c on= vibration city....your dashboard looks like it's going to fall off. ('92 CX)

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have bothered with the a/c.

Too much vibration, and I'm pretty sure the a/c bracket doesn't line up completely parallel with the other pullies.....it slowly shreads through the alternator belt, and it won't ever bite good. With the a/c on, the belt will just start slipping and screeching, even when it's taught enough.

My H22 project

H22 projects when going good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I would like to replace my b18c with an h22(in my 92 civic VX), and keep my AC, from what I understand the AC compressor is nolonger in front of the engine... After I complete it I would like to put the b18c into my 84 crx... If i can't keep my AC I guess I would just go with putting the h22 in the CRX, from what I've seen the valve cover sticks out of the hood on the CRX( so much for a sleeper car)
Old 08-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in EG6 Question (92 civic VX B18c)

lol, the a/c is in the exact same place as it is stock.

You can certainly keep it...it's just not going to be as 'comfy' as it was stock.

A/C on at idle is vibration city, and it's next to impossible to keep the alternator belt from squeaking.

Oh well.

http://members.cardomain.com/hot_eh

You can see my a/c compressor in those pics
Old 08-12-2003, 01:17 PM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: H22 in EG6 Question (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, the a/c is in the exact same place as it is stock.

You can certainly keep it...it's just not going to be as 'comfy' as it was stock.

A/C on at idle is vibration city, and it's next to impossible to keep the alternator belt from squeaking.

Oh well.

http://members.cardomain.com/hot_eh

You can see my a/c compressor in those pics</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, I thought the prelude's AC compressor was in the rear of the engine, and the civic's AC compressor is in the front, I guess i was wrong.... In the pictures at your sight, the picture of the Altenator/AC compressor, it looks like the Alt only

Old 08-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the top is the alternator. The black pulley underneath it is the a/c compressor. I actually had to bang in the frame rail to make it clear. It's a really tight fit....very hard to get it in place down there.

The HCP bracket angles the compressor, and when you get it all the way tightened down, the ac lines are smashed into the condensor, and won't budge.

I guess it's not a problem with HCP mounts (i assume...hopefully it works better with them), but it's not really the best setup IMHO with Hasport mounts.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

I have replaced my compressor ans condensor recently since my A/C died, but when I did it I had the front rad support pulled out about 2" so I cound fit the 12" fan in there with out it rubbing the A/C hoses, it worked like a charm. I did have to put the A/C fan on the outside of the condensor and it looked very ghetto.
look

now that I pulled the rad support a little the fan fit in there no problem.
see how straight the consensor sits now?

BTW the compressor sits under the alternator

just make sure you sure a 4 rib belt no longer than 41"s..... HTH
Old 08-12-2003, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's some good pics bro
Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 PM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: (poison)

I like the duct tape wire loom!! There is nothing a little duct tape and zip ties can't fix!
Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92 civic VX B18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 civic VX B18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like the duct tape wire loom!</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually it's stock
Old 08-13-2003, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fastwanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
actually it's stock</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

Actually it is stock. I just thought it was funny the way you said it lol.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fastwanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just make sure you sure a 4 rib belt no longer than 41"s..... HTH</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using a 41" belt now, and i'm going to try a longer one. As it sits now, the alternator is SLAMMED into the a/c lines with the belt fully tight.

It's so tight, I had to put a metal shim in between the lines and the alternator to keep it from ripping the foam apart on the lines.

I'm going to try a slightly longer belt to hopefully get the alternator up and over the lines. Hopefully that will work a little better for me.

I guess you have a little more room up front with the HCP mounts.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 AM

Good info! I was wondering if you got a Aftermarket header (Like that new H22/civic All motor Header) will it still clear the a/c lines?
Also how do you pull the radiator support 2 inches forward?
Thanks for any help that you can provide
Old 08-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm using a 41" belt now, and i'm going to try a longer one. As it sits now, the alternator is SLAMMED into the a/c lines with the belt fully tight.

It's so tight, I had to put a metal shim in between the lines and the alternator to keep it from ripping the foam apart on the lines.

I'm going to try a slightly longer belt to hopefully get the alternator up and over the lines. Hopefully that will work a little better for me.

I guess you have a little more room up front with the HCP mounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually by using a longer belt the alternator will be SMASHED even more into the lines and condesor, I suggest you get a 39" belt and try to finagle it around the crank pulley so that the alternator can sit closer to the motor and away from the hoses and condensor.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nickwilmot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickwilmot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good info! I was wondering if you got a Aftermarket header (Like that new H22/civic All motor Header) will it still clear the a/c lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>
we'll see, I will be buying the imagengineering header is a week or so I really hope it clears the hoses and fan(crossing fingers)
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickwilmot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also how do you pull the radiator support 2 inches forward?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
looks like the was minor frontend damage done to my car prior to my purchase and the rad support had been pushed in quite a bit. So i just took my stock jack and jammed it in between the engine and rad support and opened her up till the rad support looked straight.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:27 PM

Alright cool Thanks for the info. Let me know if the header clears