Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 or B18? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 or B18? HELP!

Hey all, i've come to a crossroads. The hatch needs a new motor, 70 hp just ain't cuttin it. From what i've read on the forums, a stock H22 into a hatch seems better than a B18, but B18's w/ b20 blocks seem better than H22's? I konfoozed. Help me here. What should i go w/ H22 or B18? (keep in mind that i will be going USDM either way, also keep in mind that i probably will not be going w/ the B20 block if i get the gsr.) Most likely at first, i will be getting the normal bolt-ons, then add cams, pistons, rods, valve springs, etc, later. Also, i will be keeping the car n/a. No snails for this hatch. Any info/stories would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (EggRolla)

If you're keeping it all motor then go with the h22.

You have a lot more displacement to play with if youre keeping it NA.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (sappsycho)

b18c1 all the way!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (sappsycho)

If you're keeping it all motor then go with the h22.

You have a lot more displacement to play with if youre keeping it NA.
Care to explain? If it was my car, I would go turbo on the h22, but definately NOT N/A with that motor. It's a heavy engine anyway you look at it. It's like almost two hundred pounds heavier than the D-series motor, and almost 100 pounds heavier than a B16!

In my opinion, build either the B20 or B18C motors for N/A. Not as heavy, and easier to work with in the car. Maybe for the turbo H-series, get the H23 block, h22 head and then you'd be bookin!

(Again, these are just my opinions, doesn't mean they are correct or count.)
Old 04-03-2003, 07:09 PM

Hey all, i've come to a crossroads. The hatch needs a new motor, 70 hp just ain't cuttin it. From what i've read on the forums, a stock H22 into a hatch seems better than a B18, but B18's w/ b20 blocks seem better than H22's? I konfoozed. Help me here. What should i go w/ H22 or B18? (keep in mind that i will be going USDM either way, also keep in mind that i probably will not be going w/ the B20 block if i get the gsr.) Most likely at first, i will be getting the normal bolt-ons, then add cams, pistons, rods, valve springs, etc, later. Also, i will be keeping the car n/a. No snails for this hatch. Any info/stories would be much appreciated, thanks.
What year and model hatch do you have that only puts out 70hp?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (hot_EG)

b18c1 all the way!
w3rd. =X
Old 04-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (poison)

Don't the CX's have like 72 hp or something?
Old 04-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...this sounds like me. If your serious about a drag car than i would recomend a H22. but if your looking for an all around quick daily driver then b18c is better. Just keep in mind that going quick in the b18 will take more work and money in the long run. So it depends on what cars you wanna be beating. fellow imports or big block american boats. Personally i wouldnt settle for any swap that would let me lose to a STOCK camaro.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (The B Man)

Yeah true that.

Go GSR, you won't be dissapointed.

H22 is way too many headaches
Old 04-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea the car will definitely be a daily driver, not a full out drag car. the stock honda civic cx comes w/ 70, so yea, it blows ****. i think i'll go with the h22. can anyone tell me which motor mounts to buy, and any other quality rods and cams besides crower, cuz that **** is BANK.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well What year is your car. The best accross the board are HASport. The next best is HCP. HCP is usually the best way to go because of the cost effectiveness of them I would really just stay away from place racing.
I just did a H22 EK. It is really not that hard and headaches? The car runs GREAT and have not done a thing to the car after the swap. The hardest part is the wiring. You will need to mate the 2 harnesses but there is TONS of help here.
Now driving the H22 EK. W-O-W. What a blast! Straight line is amazing! And with the LSD. Phew makes the corners a breeze! Oh yea and that is on stock EX springs and shocks! The car feels NO different than a stock civic until you get in the gas.
But i am a little partical but i say go with the H22. Everyone and there SISTER has done a B18. Not that there is anything is wrong with that.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (The B Man)

Why does everyone say "if you're serious about drag, get the H22A..."?

Biggest and most important question:

HOW MUCH MONEY ARE YOU GOING TO SPEND ON THIS SWAP?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:09 AM

yea the car will definitely be a daily driver, not a full out drag car. the stock honda civic cx comes w/ 70, so yea, it blows ****. i think i'll go with the h22. can anyone tell me which motor mounts to buy, and any other quality rods and cams besides crower, cuz that **** is BANK.
get a set from place racing there good mounts... get some drive shafts from there too
Old 04-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (KENLUDE97)

i disagree that HASport has to be the best motor/tranny mounts available when you swap in the H22 in an EG chassis... i am also soon looking forward for my own H22 swap, around next year. and personally, HASport's H22 engine mounts move the engine farther away from the firewall, therefore making the axles 'not straight' or 'aligned;' creating an unnecessary bends and flex. not to mention that you need to sacrifice the removal of AC when doing this swap. HCP H22 engine mounts, however, moves the H22 closer to the firewall, therefore giving you enough space to retain AC and keeps the axles straight (180 degrees). it also makes for a better weight distribution

but that's just my .02 cents

by the way KENLUDE97, what mounts did you use?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Trial User

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (ViZiONiZM)

Take the A/C,power steering and many other extras off the h22 and you are almost at the weight of a GSR motor.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (JDM IS RICE)

Well the car that i worked on is a 1996 HB. I used HCP. The reason that i used then is there "Race' kit they have the front bar that makes 4 mounting points for the motor not 3 like the other popular kits. This was on a different car than the 92 civ that he is asking about.
The EG HCP kit has some problems with the rear mount in a few isolated cases. That is why i rated HASport above HCP. I think that they are both high quality kits and would use either kit on my car. I would use the HCP kit for the "bling bling" factor of the Billet mounts!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Take the A/C,power steering and many other extras off the h22 and you are almost at the weight of a GSR motor.
Prove it.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (B18C5-EH2)

I don't think he can.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (ViZiONiZM)

i disagree that HASport has to be the best motor/tranny mounts available when you swap in the H22 in an EG chassis... i am also soon looking forward for my own H22 swap, around next year. and personally, HASport's H22 engine mounts move the engine farther away from the firewall, therefore making the axles 'not straight' or 'aligned;' creating an unnecessary bends and flex. not to mention that you need to sacrifice the removal of AC when doing this swap. HCP H22 engine mounts, however, moves the H22 closer to the firewall, therefore giving you enough space to retain AC and keeps the axles straight (180 degrees). it also makes for a better weight distribution

but that's just my .02 cents

by the way KENLUDE97, what mounts did you use?
WTF? And where did you get this information of axles being 'non-aligned'? That information was either a rumor or someone told you wrong.

I am using the EG HASport mounts and love them. The only difference between the HCP kit and the HASport kit, is the HCP leans the engine a little bit more "backwards", and a little higher so it can retain A/C, and have enough room, and also use the stock tranny mount (which, IMO is a 'ghetto' idea), since there is not much room for the 2 shifter shafts to move around freely -- mainly 5th gear and Reverse.

I am not a fan of HCP because of the issues with axles people have been having, the issue with the rear mount, and axle binding, etc. Although it's a good mount kit, I just don't recommend it.

I have absolutely 0 mechanical problems with the swap. No grinding of the gears, no axle binding, etc. Only issue I had was the passenger axle didn't click into the tranny, so it was leaking tranny fluid, but that's my own dumbass fault.

And what about better weight distribution? Someone told you wrong, bro. That's the funniest statement I've heard. The motor is mounted in the front regardless. Weight distribution is rated by the front half of the car vs. the back half of the car.

Not the engine bay.

If you want OEM mounts, and retaining stock tranny mount, and the cleanest possible installation w/o any fabrication, then get a B18.

If you want to break 13's with just intake, and still have an awesome all around car (auto-x and 1/4), then go for the H22. The B18C5 is a high priced swap, and I personally love both the H22 and the C5, but it's nice to keep it in 2nd the hole time with no bogging at any RPM while auto-crossing, and down the 1/4 strip pulls thru the torque band, AND horse power band, rather than always playing 'catch up' like B series.

The B series has a **** load of aftermarket support, and pulls hard with the C5, and even a GS-R swap, but torque just doesn't cut it. I haven't seen another swap that can put it into 5th gear from a dead stop and not stall. That's priceless torque from a stock platform

HTH for your opinion -- peace.

[edit] spelling.

[Modified by poison, 4:08 PM 4/4/2003]
Old 04-04-2003, 02:06 PM

Not true at all. The H22 weighs about 65 lbs heavier than a B18C with just stock longblocks alone. This is due to (obviously) displacement, and balance shafts inside the H22.

If you were to get forged aluminum pistons, and have a built motor, that would make the H22 weigh a lot less, but for cornering and such, you would still need a little stronger rates if you want to out corner a B series hybrid.

And yes, Tom. It's possible
Old 04-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (poison)

I am using the EG HASport mounts and love them. The only difference between the HCP kit and the HASport kit, is the HCP leans the engine a little bit more "backwards", and a little higher so it can retain A/C, and have enough room, and also use the stock tranny mount (which, IMO is a 'ghetto' idea), since there is not much room for the 2 shifter shafts to move around freely -- mainly 5th gear and Reverse.
So basically what you're saying is that I can't have hasports and a/c?

Time to sell them if that's the case.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So basically what you're saying is that I can't have hasports and a/c?

Time to sell them if that's the case.
told you, should have used HCP! I've had 0 problems with the mounts themselves and my 5th & reverse work just fine even with the stock frame mount.

Ive got my axle issuse straightend out and I have A/C
Old 04-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Poison, you're my hero ! I've had my swap for over a year now and have not had anything but great results. The only problems I've had have been due to stupid mistakes on my behalf that would have happened with any motor I would have chosen. The H22 is a great swap and when done and tuned right can make great power, not to mention the torque is amazing. And due to the recent popularity of the H22 swaps, parts are becoming more readily available as well. The B18c1 is one of my favorite motors, but anyone that questions the h22 I have nothing to say but great comments. The only cons I have on the motor is the weakness of the valvetrain compared to the b-series motors and the FRM sleeves. Both of which can be easily worked around with the right amount of time and money. As for mounts, I run the Hasports and highly recommend them. I have had zero problems with axles, clearance, and all that bs. And as for weight distribution, all the "rumors" are bs. Any car with factory shocks and gc's slammed for some time is going to ride like **** no matter what motor you choose. Just take your time and do it right and you will be very pleased with the results. My buddy with a fully built Endyne head with JDM type r pistons and all the usual bolt ons and cams fully tuned dynoed less than me and all I had was simple upgrades. This was on the same day, in the same garage, on the same dyno. But don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of both motors, I just wanted to give some of my opinions on the swap. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:36 PM

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (JDMH22HATCH)

Poison, you're my hero !
Me too! Both of you guys have been such a great help for me with this swap. Now I just can't wait to get it in there! I spend hours out in the garage playing around w/it, taking **** off and putting it back. If anyone has any questions about this swap, dont listen to the BS!!!! Talk to Poson, JDMH22HATCH, Jason Kidd or Newman. These guys know exactly what they're talking about!!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:16 PM

Default Re: H22 or B18? HELP! (UpstateCivic)

same here. I dont know what I would do with out you guys .
I am almost ready to do my h22a swap. Just a couple more things, I can't wait!

by the way, you can still have A/C with HCP's!? I thought you need a a/c bracket?
bonus

Quick Reply: H22 or B18? HELP!