Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gsrblock vs ls block

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 01:34 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsrblock vs ls block

I keep reading about the lsvtec swap being very powerful. I am just curious as to y a gsr block wouldnt be able to do the same
thing but u would not have to machine the head, or run extra plumbing for the vtec sol. I have done a search but havent
really found a good answer

Old 07-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsrblock vs ls block (2XS)

Exactly...well almost right. The LS block will make a little more torque lower in the powerband (don't believe these dudes yelling TORQUE MONSTER!!! in reference to LSVTEC) but the GSR has a lot of very desirable features. Do a search for lsvtec or ls/vtec and you'll find a load of topics!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:38 AM

LSvtec vs GSR.
Stick with the GSR. LS vtec does not make sense unless you have the LS block already and just want to upgrade.

The GSR block was designed and built stonger than the LS. GSR parts like bigger oil pump, piston squirters, Forged con rods, block girdle....etc.

The only advantage the LS has is a very slight increase in displacement. (approx. 30cc ..... a weed wacker is 30cc).

Now if it was a B20 vtec, the extra 200cc displacement advatage might offset things a bit towards frankenstein engines.
But then again, the GSR can be resleeved Or restroked to make up the difference.
Argument here will be more like cost vs downtime.

In the end, it really depends on what you plan to do. A frank engine gives you more satisfaction because u put a lot of your time in it ( and money).
If you want to go fast with little downtime, stick with the GSR and get it over with.

[Modified by johnd, 7:40 AM 7/18/2002]
Old 07-18-2002, 12:42 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: gsrblock vs ls block (johnd)

LSvtec vs GSR.
Stick with the GSR. LS vtec does not make sense unless you have the LS block already and just want to upgrade.

The GSR block was designed and built stonger than the LS. GSR parts like bigger oil pump, piston squirters, Forged con rods, block girdle....etc.

The only advantage the LS has is a very slight increase in displacement. (approx. 30cc ..... a weed wacker is 30cc).

Now if it was a B20 vtec, the extra 200cc displacement advatage might offset things a bit towards frankenstein engines.
But then again, the GSR can be resleeved Or restroked to make up the difference.
Argument here will be more like cost vs downtime.

In the end, it really depends on what you plan to do. A frank engine gives you more satisfaction because u put a lot of your time in it ( and money).
If you want to go fast with little downtime, stick with the GSR and get it over with.

[Modified by johnd, 7:40 AM 7/18/2002]
Best reply about this topic i've seen so far....
Old 07-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While i'm going to an LS block, i second the notion on purchasing the GSR. If you're going to go with aftermarket ANYTHING (rods, pistons) the stock LS block just wasnt designed for it. revving to 8k is already pushing it, i wont even put CTR pistons in it because the compression on that thing will push a rod through the block within months, but here is a link on displacement:
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/specs.htm