Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap...Possible or been done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap...Possible or been done?

I just got my del sol and want ideally to get 300hp out of it. I doubt the 1.5 non-vtec will make that kind of power so I was looking at a VG30DETT twin turbo out of a 300zx. Is this at all possible?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Engine swap...Possible or been done? (Pavix)

hahaha wow... unique sure.

I really doubt a giant *** 6 is gonna fit under the Sol's hood.

How bout an H22 with a giant hairdryer attached to it? You'll be well on your way to 300 hp with that swap, a snail and a few supporting mods.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Engine swap...Possible or been done? (2000EM1)

I checked out the H22, it looks like it produces 240HP stock which is right up my alley, after adding some performance cams, maybe some aftermarket pistons and rods that might just do the trick. Has that been done before?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:27 AM

T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what H22 are you looking at?? THere aint no H22 that produces that much unless your looking at a Euro R, which even then I think only produces 225hp. THe stock H22's only produce 190hp.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Engine swap...Possible or been done? (H22JDMEG)

My bad, I wasnt looking at the right specs. It looks like they come out of the gate making H22 at 190 hp and 158 lb-ft of torque. That sound more like it?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pavix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My bad, I wasnt looking at the right specs. It looks like they come out of the gate making H22 at 190 hp and 158 lb-ft of torque. That sound more like it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.hmotorsonline.com carries JDM and USDM H22s. I believe a certain JDM H22 makes 200 hp stock. (I don't feel like looking up the specs)

You were probably checking out the F20C which makes the 240 hp. (00-05? S2000 engine)
Old 01-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pavix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got my del sol and want ideally to get 300hp out of it. I doubt the 1.5 non-vtec will make that kind of power so I was looking at a VG30DETT twin turbo out of a 300zx. Is this at all possible? </TD></TR></TABLE>
haha your joking right?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahaha wow... unique sure.

I really doubt a giant *** 6 is gonna fit under the Sol's hood.

How bout an H22 with a giant hairdryer attached to it? You'll be well on your way to 300 hp with that swap, a snail and a few supporting mods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a better plan but if hes going to boost he's going to need to sleeve the motor, otherwise it won't be fast for very long

If he wants around 300 horsepower without weight/other issues, I'd go with a K-series swap + some minor mods.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Engine swap...Possible or been done? (Sh!ttyLS)

The deal is my friend is a big AMC fan and is going to turn a concord into a 10 second 1/4 mile car. While I personally doubt that can be done I'd love to be able to give him a good run for his money. I know that wont happen with the 1.5, Now I know that honda owners usually like to keep it in the family, that is keep honda parts in honda cars but for the sake of argument would a subaru impreza 2.5 fit into a del sol?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 AM

Anything is possible with enough money. But if you had enough to do all that I don't see why you wouldn't just make it easier on yourself and stay within the Honda family and just add some boooooost to your life.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like a better plan but if hes going to boost he's going to need to sleeve the motor, otherwise it won't be fast for very long

If he wants around 300 horsepower without weight/other issues, I'd go with a K-series swap + some minor mods. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's good to know, I'm not very proficient with H series knowledge, but since he doesn't seem to care about cornering ability, the H series have the better power potential right out of the box.

K series are good engines too, but aren't they more expensive being newer and all?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pavix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The deal is my friend is a big AMC fan and is going to turn a concord into a 10 second 1/4 mile car. While I personally doubt that can be done I'd love to be able to give him a good run for his money. I know that wont happen with the 1.5, Now I know that honda owners usually like to keep it in the family, that is keep honda parts in honda cars but for the sake of argument would a subaru impreza 2.5 fit into a del sol?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stick with a honda motor, you'll run into much less problems

Basically the easiest way to go about doing this is to go boost. Check out the forced induction forum. You have a few options on what route you take. To make it simple, you're going to probably need some kind of built VTEC b-series engine with a fair amount of boost. Tuning is also a crucial factor in what kind of numbers you are putting down.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Maybe a realistic budget would help us give you a better answer.

And I'm sure you'd get better responses in the Hybrid forum.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pavix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so I was looking at a VG30DETT twin turbo out of a 300zx. Is this at all possible? </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pavix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would a subaru impreza 2.5 fit into a del sol?</TD></TR></TABLE>
your a big dreamer.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
K series are good engines too, but aren't they more expensive being newer and all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah they are pretty expensive. I just said K-series because I assumed if he was prepared to spend the money on installing a nissan motor into his car, then he could easily afford a K-swap.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

For the lazy people The Hybrid Forum
Old 01-29-2006, 11:09 AM

I definately wouldnt mind staying with a honda motor, and I think you might be right it might save me alot of headache. As far as budget I'd like to keep it within the 5k range. If there's a way to do it for 2-3k I'd take that too And thank you everyone for your replies, I was worried I'd get flamed but everyone's been mature about it. Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 11:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pavix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as budget I'd like to keep it within the 5k range. If there's a way to do it for 2-3k I'd take that too </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, if youre only looking for 300hp, keep it simple and swap a b series engine, whichever floats your boat will do the trick. i'd personally swap in a b18c1 (integra gsr engine) and boost it, that'll cost you around 5-6k tops. its less of a headache than a k/h swap and still has good power potential. thats my 2 cents.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap...Possible or been done? (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well, if youre only looking for 300hp, keep it simple and swap a b series engine, whichever floats your boat will do the trick. i'd personally swap in a b18c1 (integra gsr engine) and boost it, that'll cost you around 5-6k tops. its less of a headache than a k/h swap and still has good power potential. thats my 2 cents.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For boost i'd recommend LS/VTEC, so he can have both the strength of the LS bottom end and vtec.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For boost i'd recommend LS/VTEC, so he can have both the strength of the LS bottom end and vtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

definately a good choice, i just simply recommended a gsr because i was keeping it simple, and it doesnt sound like he knows too much about honda engines at this point. i also said whichever floats his boat, so if he feels like building an ls/vtec, by all means he should.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He could try a B16B. There's a guy in Kills making really good power at 7 psi with that motor
Old 01-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Engine swap...Possible or been done? (black_dohc)

b18 turbo. that will get you the power you want
Old 01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Sol throws down 327 at wheels. All I have is a B16A3 T3/T4 turbo. I running stock internals on 15psi(race only 10 for daily), skunk2 intake mani, fullrace mani, and 660cc injectors. I tuned with uberdata cuz its free but Hondata really good to.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like your dreaming. wake up.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

definately a good choice, i just simply recommended a gsr because i was keeping it simple, and it doesnt sound like he knows too much about honda engines at this point. i also said whichever floats his boat, so if he feels like building an ls/vtec, by all means he should. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you've got a point..i didn't really think about that.

Quick Reply: Engine swap...Possible or been done?