Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swap help...

Old 09-23-2002, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine swap help...

Hey waddup guys. I will be buying my new engine to swap in my car soon, and it most likely it would be a b18c1 or LS/vtec. Just trying to see which one i can get a better deal for first. Ive already tried to seach but came up empty handed. I just want some information on how to do the swap because it will be my first swap. What would i need for the swap? What should i change anything on the new motor before putting it in? What tools do i need? i have a lot of questions but i cant remember them all right now...so ill be asking more soon.

Also, if you guys can show me some really good links on how-to with pics that would be great! ive already been reading the hybridhondaforum. but more links would be great...i want as much info as i can get so i can get it done right with no problems, since this is my dailydriver and i need the car fixed asap.

also what are some good books/manuals i can use? i plan on buying a manual soon, but i cant decide if i should go witht he helms, or the factory manual? also which helms manual should i go with? and should i buy it for a civic? or an integra?
Thanks guys!

oh yeah, The car im doin the swap on is a 93' Civic Dx hb. It was made in Canada. The motor currently in the car is a D16Z6. Car still has stock Wiring harness from da dx, and extra wires tapped for the D16Z6. and im using a Dinan chipped p28.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine swap help... (SjCiViCHB)

ttt
Old 09-23-2002, 10:29 AM

It's a pretty easy swap.

For your wiring harness from the D16Z6, all you will need to add is the secondary butterfly's and Knock sensor if you go with the GSR motor.

I believe you'd get a better deal out of a GSR motor since the LS/vtec needs to be built by a person rather than just pull a gsr motor out of the engine bay.

as for sites, there are threads all over concerning this, as well has hybrid

you might want to visit http://tech.hybridgarage.com/

not sure if they have anyhting about the swap on that site, but it something to look at
Old 09-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine swap help... (poison)

It's a pretty easy swap.

For your wiring harness from the D16Z6, all you will need to add is the secondary butterfly's and Knock sensor if you go with the GSR motor.

I believe you'd get a better deal out of a GSR motor since the LS/vtec needs to be built by a person rather than just pull a gsr motor out of the engine bay.

as for sites, there are threads all over concerning this, as well has hybrid

you might want to visit http://tech.hybridgarage.com/

not sure if they have anyhting about the swap on that site, but it something to look at
Yeah, im just trying to get as much info as i can so the swap would be as easy as possible and so that i wont miss anything. Yeah ive already been looking at that site. I really dont get the wiring diagrams, but eventually ill figure it out.Thanks.

I have another question, How do i check and see if the engine is in good condition?before i buy it and put it in? like what do i look for? what should i replace on the engine before the installation?
Old 09-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt

damm either this really gets pushed down really fast, or not much people want to help. but for the people that do help. Thanks alot!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run a compression test.... make sure the wiring harness you get is completely intact... check the spark plugs(you'll have to change em anyways, but it's a nice way to get an idea of the motor's condition while it was running)... run the vin#(especially when buying from a private party).... make sure you have the proper mounting brackets...

what you will need to change...
spark plugs
oil+filter
brake fluid
gear oil
coolant
replace radiator hoses, and possibly vaccuum lines & fuel lines

you're exhaust might not match up to your new header, so you might have to put along to a muffler shop and have the temporarily clamp on an adapter...

there's some other stuff... but i think it's pass my bedtime.

good luck
an obd1 gsr motor should drop/plug right in without a hitch, with the addition of a couple of wires.

[Modified by Ruckus138, 11:23 AM 9/24/2002]

[Modified by Ruckus138, 11:25 AM 9/24/2002]

[Modified by Ruckus138, 9:35 PM 9/26/2002]
Old 09-24-2002, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: engine swap help... (Ruckus138)

Depending on what path you are taking mild, medium, or wild you may want to look into getting an upgraded clutch and flywheel now while the engine is out.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

run a compression test.... make sure the wiring harness you get is completely intact... check the spark plugs(you'll have to change em anyways, but it's a nice way to get an idea of the motor's condition while it was running)... run the vin#(especially when buying from a private party).... make sure you have the proper mounting brackets...

what you will need to change...
spark plugs
oil
brake fluid
gear oil
coolant
replace radiator hoses, and possibly vaccuum lines & fuel lines

you're exhaust might not match up to your new header, so you might have to put along to a muffler shop and have the temporarily clamp on an adapter...

there's some other stuff... but i think it's pass my bedtime.

good luck
an obd1 gsr motor should drop/plug right in without a hitch, with the addition of a couple of wires.
Thanks man! How do i perform the compression test? and how can i get the vin#s checked?

Any more help and what i should do and not do? Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its also a good idea to replace the clutch since you dont know what kind of wear is on it. as mentioned above, base the decision on how you'll be driving (oem replacement vs. aftermarket). also it is common to replace the water pump and timing belt as those are simple to replace with the motor out of the car, but a PITA if the motor is already in the car. not to mention the fact that you should replace the belt before it breaks to avoid severe engine damage. many people replace the distributor cap and rotor, but may not be necessary depending on the current condition.

good luck
Old 09-26-2002, 12:48 PM

Default Re: engine swap help... (keebler65)

make sure you get the engine w/ tranny, the complete engine wiring harness, axles, shift linkage, ecu

some good info + help is here...
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.html

and compression test here...
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c.../comptest.html
you can pick up a tester at pep boys or anything simliar
Old 09-28-2002, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot guys! that c-speed link is really helpful Thanks gusy. Now i just gotta find a motor.