Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EM1 steering rack!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 steering rack!

Hello I'm new on here but I searched and couldn't find my issue! But I have a 00 Em1 with a h22a4 swap.. The other day all steering was lost and the car steering wheel would grab then all of a sudden cluck and do a complete 360 without the wheels turning then catch again and only turn left!! I jacked the car and checked the tie rods only one was leaking but neither of them were broke and also with the tires off the car turned like it was suppose too along with the steering wheel not doing a complete 360 and turning both directions.... So I called a shop and they told me the steering rack might be bad.. The car doesn't have PS on it but my question is me having the H22 defer what type of rack I can put in and does this sound like a rack problem if so what all else would I might need anything h22 specific or just another si rack will work.... I'm new to this problem and this swap.. Can someone inform me.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Trial User

Default Re: EM1 steering rack!

Can someone answer this??
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The proper fix is to install a new/replacement steering rack and add P/S to the H22 swap. It can be done. Another thought would be to convert to an EG manual rack and rear cross member and lower control arms... assuming that your EKH mount kit will allow this. Usually, you will have to get a rear mount for an EGH mount set so that the holes and rear bracket still line up.

The worst choice is what you have already... leave a power rack un-powered and without fluid, and eventually, it will do just what it did now... again.

The rack choice has nothing to do with the H22 engine other than you will need to get a H22 P/S pump and upper high pressure hose if you intend to fix it correctly. You then need to take an original EK P/S hose and the H22 hose to a hydraulic shop and have them join the two. The rest of the P/S system works with little modification, assuming you have it. If you do not, you will need to get it from any '96-00 civic chassis.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Trial User

Perfect man this was very informative! So I guess I'll have to try and hook up the power steering on the car but the guy had the wrong axles on it also so It was already hard to turn for that reason so I never knew if PS was hooked up or not but I have Hasport engine mounts but I hear there axles aren't that good so I'm gonna just go Raxels but now that I know any ek rack will work I can finally start to fix it!