Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ecu for ex in hf

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu for ex in hf

ive been doing alot of reading around here and i cant decide what ecu to use with my ex motor. i have an 89 hf. some say use an 89 integra ecu and modify the dis. and activate vtec with a vafc. but then theres some confusion about keeping the manifold because of sensors from obd1 or something. i dont know what the fuel curve looks like when vtec kicks in so how would i know how the trim should be? also whats the redline/ rev limiter on an 89 teg? then theres the interesting swap of a pr3 ecu with a mugen program on the single cam. i read it gets rid of all the sensors normally needed to activate vtec accept vtec itself. does this work? does it set codes? what about passing md emissions? they said they got it from locashracing. how much was it? i also saw a spoon program which looked better to me because higher vtec x-over, 8300 rev, and slight ignition and fuel increase. there was also a p28 mugen ecu. does that get rid of the other sensors too? do have to convert to obd1 or can i stay obd0? i know this is alot of questions but my swap is just weeks away from being ready to go in and this is the final kink in plan. thanx a whole bunch.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ecu for ex in hf (SlickCRX)

using chipped PM6 or PR4 is not a bad choice especially when using it with VAFC or Fields. your able to get custom rev limit, maps and use the controller to further fine tune them and activate vtec.

while using PR3 is fine with mugen program it will run extremely rich on a mild setup. (oil pressure, knock, 2nd 02 is disabled, vtec/rev limit is adjustable (at least from what I offer)) but to pass emissions its going to be extremly hard.

spoon program looks for the knock sensor and 2nd 02. while knock sensor can be easily fooled (resistor + grounding) the 2nd 02 will need to be added (not a big deal) again vtec/rev can be adjusted.

from personal expirence OBDI ecu is the best choice - running a P28 ecu. it might be a little more expensive and challenging but if you shop around you can still do it for under $350 including ecu/distributor/harness converter.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ecu for ex in hf (eg6ajk)

so you recommend pm6 or pr4 if i stay obd0. would running an ecu for a dohc run a little richer than an sohc? the spoon program was sounding really nice for the pr3 because it said it had a streetable profile. if i convert to obd1 what do i need to do/buy? i know i need the conversion harness, but do i wire up all vtec wires like b series swap? i need an explanation on the dizzy. if i stay obd0 can i use my hf dizzy...if so how? if i go obd1, i keep everything from the z6? (injectors, distributor)
some details would be great because i'm really ready to finish and the ecu and wiring is the final detail. just so you know, i have a z6 with stock bottom end, port and polish head, 5 angle job, web cam, cam gear , stillen header and custom exhaust. suggestions and experience with products will help narrow the field. THANX! <U></U> also, what do mean by 2 other programs on the side? i get to pick 2 more chips to swap out, including the one in the ecu i'll be buying?

[Modified by SlickCRX, 11:16 PM 3/10/2003]