Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding what swap to do.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding what swap to do.

Hey, I am sort of new to honda's but have been reading a lot on this site as well as others and have a few questions. I am looking to spend about 5K on my next car so figured I would get a 92+ civic hatch and put in a different engine and tranny. I am looking for a car that is about as fast as a stock gsr (faster is def. ok) . I figured a b18b would be good or a b16. My questions are what swap would be easier to do. Also if I got the older b16 with cable tranny but just decided to get the long block what would I need to put in a hydro tranny from like a gsr.
Any opinions would be great as far as what to do. When it comes down to it I want a quick fun car to drive around in, not anything to take to the strip and I want it to have honda reliability. I would not be doing much else to the car except for exhaust like a world sport, coilovers, and light 15" wheels. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Deciding what swap to do. (BRownNH)

92+ Civics are very swap friendly in terms of B-series motors. For 5K, there are a few options you can take. Since you said you are just looking for a peppy street car, I would look into either a B18B (LS) or if you can find an affordable one a B18C (GSR) motor. Both will give you more torque than a B16A will, will swap in easily, and have leaves you open to more options (turbocharging, N2O, supercharging) down the road...not that the B16A won't either, just you'll have some extra torque from the additional displacement. As for using a 1st gen B16A, you would just need to find a hydraulic tranny, and use OBD1/2 injectors and distributor, along with the proper ecu. I think you have started down the right path in doing your research and learning what you can before you sink you hard earned dollars into a project.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Deciding what swap to do. (Redline130)

I was also thinking about a d15 w/ custom turbo with like 6psi of boost. I don't know how reliable it would be though. That engine is cheap, like 850 with everything. Is the d15 with mods still really slow in a hatch? would building it up with better rods and cams make it much faster. then I could spend more on suspension. I love corners. I just want to have all options planed out with costs first before I buy anything. Again anything around the speed of a gsr is fine with me. Faster than a stock Ls Integra though. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you would be much happier with a B-series motor. You could probably find a B18B for around $850 and have nearly as much HP as you would with a turbocharged D15. If you do the work yourself, you can save even more. You are right though, planning everything out before hand is the key.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BRownNH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I am sort of new to honda's but have been reading a lot on this site as well as others and have a few questions. I am looking to spend about 5K on my next car so figured I would get a 92+ civic hatch and put in a different engine and tranny. I am looking for a car that is about as fast as a stock gsr (faster is def. ok) . I figured a b18b would be good or a b16. My questions are what swap would be easier to do. Also if I got the older b16 with cable tranny but just decided to get the long block what would I need to put in a hydro tranny from like a gsr.
Any opinions would be great as far as what to do. When it comes down to it I want a quick fun car to drive around in, not anything to take to the strip and I want it to have honda reliability. I would not be doing much else to the car except for exhaust like a world sport, coilovers, and light 15" wheels. Thanks for any help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or u could that the 5k and spend it towards the k20a2 (Acura RSX Type S) swap IMO.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Deciding what swap to do. (Austinbionic316)

the 5k would be for the whole car. I would buy a hatch with a junk engine and swap something in. I can spend more than 5k but I would rather not right now. I kind of like the idea of a jdm d15b turbo but don't know how reliable it would be. I would only run like 5 6 psi as I dont need a race car but would a turbo d15b vtec last? Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 AM

Ohh ok I see what ur saying, um well u could do what I did in the beginning, just find a Civic EX coupe with over a 100k miles on it and get u a swap like the b16 and if u can sell the motor get the GSR like someone said cause u'd see better numbers with the b18...but my pops talked me into getting the RSX type S so i'll put a 3k down payment and hopefully my payments wont be high.