Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D16A6 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16A6 Questions

First of all, I have noticed most of you are B-series, VTEC fans . I have opted to do an engine swap very soon as my stock HF motor's piston rings are blown pretty bad. Since money is very limited, I am going to try to drop in a D16A6. The reasoning behind this is that it seems to be the best way to start off a project ride at this time.

Enough beating around the bush. On to the questions. First of all, is there anyone out there who has done major work like this on their own with garage space (i.e lives in an apartment and doesn't really have have acces to a garage via friends or family)? If so, where did you do it? Did you rent out storage space for a bit? etc..

Second question. Aside from the obviously the motor, what all is needed to perform this swap (The right way) I've read everything about B16 drops, have searched this sight with a few tidbits of info, but couldn't find anything solid.

This is the first stage of what I hope will turn to be a 12sec. daily driver w/o a bottle.

Sorry if these Q's seem remedial, but I am new to all this, and don't know where to begin.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: D16A6 Questions (n00baller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n00baller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there anyone out there who has done major work like this on their own with garage space (i.e lives in an apartment and doesn't really have have acces to a garage via friends or family)? If so, where did you do it? Did you rent out storage space for a bit? etc..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't imagine doing the swap without having a place to work. Working outside isn't out of the question but being allowed to do what you're doing where you are doing it would be. I suggest talking to some people on here near your area or something, I'm sure you could find someone more than willing to help you out and possibly give you a place to work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n00baller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Second question. Aside from the obviously the motor, what all is needed to perform this swap (The right way) I've read everything about B16 drops, have searched this sight with a few tidbits of info, but couldn't find anything solid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The motor will be a direct bolt-in and since you have an HF which is MPFI there will be no wiring. I suggest getting a 88-91 PM6 Si ECU and later on switching to a DX or Si tranny for the better gearing.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D16A6 Questions (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I couldn't imagine doing the swap without having a place to work. Working outside isn't out of the question but being allowed to do what you're doing where you are doing it would be. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What I meant was has anyone rented a place. I was checking in the paper and there's a few people int he area that are renting out 2 garages. Was just wondering if anybody's done this and had any issues.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I suggest getting a 88-91 PM6 Si ECU and later on switching to a DX or Si tranny for the better gearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But if I were to do the swap with the trans would I have to change the axles as well? or can I use the stock axles?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: D16A6 Questions (n00baller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n00baller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But if I were to do the swap with the trans would I have to change the axles as well? or can I use the stock axles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you can reuse the HF axles with the Si or DX tranny. It's only when you go with a B motor and tranny when you need to change the hubs and axles.