Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built LS to Vtec... maybe

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built LS to Vtec... maybe

So my story is long winded. Please stay with me.
I have not been a member here for a long time but I have read for much longer.
I have a 93 Civic that I am using for SCCA RoadRacing and last year I finished an LS build with in the limits of spec for my class. STL for you SCCA junkies out there.

The build:

B18A stock bore
Eagle Rods
Wiseco 11-1 pistons
ACL bearings
Balanced and polished crank

B18 head
Supertec (?) valve guides
Stock valves
Crower springs (Honda Challenge)
Crower stage 2 NA cams

Last edited by SM514; 01-19-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built LS to Vtec... maybe

Crower Ti retainers

ARP everywhere
MSD 6AL
Hondata
tuned by Quantum race near Albany. Thanks Chris!
142bhp/and I don't remember tq. 118?? maybe??

My dilemma:
That is a brand new engine. I have only two races on it and really, only on its first oil change. It runs perfectly. But I found a Vtec head... finally.
So I know what is entailed in the LS/Vtec conversion. The problem is, the pistons I have in in the LS (BRAND NEW may I remind you) have smaller valve relieves than the B16 valves. They will hit. So the obvious is to change the pistons. But again, its a shame they aren't even used yet! Not to mention the head studs would be wasted as well.
So my ideas. And what I'm looking for is reasonable input. Maybe testimonials or more insight for what may be best.

I could say screw it and pull the pistons out and replace them. New head studs and head gasket and be done. LS/Vtec.

I could also leave the LS together. After all, half of the build would otherwise be wasted. Cams, studs, pistons, gaskets, valve springs, retainers, guides... all to never be used again. It would be a great back up engine.

With leaving the LS together, I could Find another LS in the junk yard (like the one I have now. Complete for $240) and do an LS/Vtec from the start.

OR! GSR with LS crank and B16 head. The reason for this combo is that there is a possibility of all of those parts laying around in a machine shop near by. I already have the head. This combo would add the girdle and keep the LS displacement. And the forever rule, there is no replacement for displacement... no matter how small!

The budget is relative. I don't have empty pockets. But B series is fairly cheap now. So, keeping it reasonable, any of those options are with in reach.

So your feedback... please keep it relative to the above.
Thanks!
Nick

Last edited by SM514; 01-19-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the split thread. I didn't know I was limited to the size of the text.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say go for it and build a second motor if its within your budget, not much reasoning behind that besides thats just how i feel, i'd run the freshly built motor and take my time putting together a vtec motor..