Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black oil???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black oil???

i have a 00 hatchback with a JDM 2nd Gen B16a, and everytime i change the oil it comes out black as hell. So i began changing the oil more frequently from 2500 to 1500 to 1000miles, yet the oil still comes out black. Is it just really old gunk from the JDM (94) motor??? or could it possibly be a bad internals in the motor??? Any info is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (xhatchracerx)

sounds like a tired engine, cause its caused by blow-by the rings, its carbon mainly, I think anyone back me up???
Old 06-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (twitchm80)

if that is the problem then what is the solution??? would i have to possibly rebuild the block in the near future, i mean it is a honda engine with an average of probably 30,XXX-40,XXX??
Old 06-29-2002, 12:01 PM

Curious what type of oil are using ? I was ready to agree with the other reply but then saw your statement on 30k-40k miles... Can you verify that mileage or are you going by what they told you when you bought it for the swap??
Old 06-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (BIG ROB)

As of right now, i am using 5w-30 non-syn and i am unable to verify the mileage on the motor. In my opinion the motor is running well besides the oil situation.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:32 AM

when oil passes through the motor it cleans out the motor. If you have a jdm motor then most likely it has been sitting for a while. Keep clhanging the oil often...
Old 07-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (bigblockEG)

If it is a jdm engine, then it was probably just beaten and abused when it was young. In japan there is some law that when a car gets past 35k miles, the government starts taxing the hell out of you for the car. This encourages japanese citizens to trade in their cars early, helping out the economy, and keeping newer cars with better emissions standards on the road, helping out the environment.

Because of this people in japan beat the crap out of their cars and change their oil every 10K-15K miles. They dont care, because no matter how bad you beat it, a japanese car will last you at least 35k miles.

Since japanese junkyards are getting overloaded with all these engines that noone wants they decide to send them to america and sell them at 5-8 times what they are actually worth in japan. And americans will pay this inflated price because they are all rich and because jdm engines are a tad more powerful then their usdm counter parts, so americans think they are getting a deal.

If you want to keep your engine, I would recommend a complete rebuild. This should be standard for anyone purchasing a jdm engine.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: black oil??? (Dokta)

If it is a jdm engine, then it was probably just beaten and abused when it was young. In japan there is some law that when a car gets past 35k miles, the government starts taxing the hell out of you for the car. This encourages japanese citizens to trade in their cars early, helping out the economy, and keeping newer cars with better emissions standards on the road, helping out the environment.

Because of this people in japan beat the crap out of their cars and change their oil every 10K-15K miles. They dont care, because no matter how bad you beat it, a japanese car will last you at least 35k miles.

Since japanese junkyards are getting overloaded with all these engines that noone wants they decide to send them to america and sell them at 5-8 times what they are actually worth in japan. And americans will pay this inflated price because they are all rich and because jdm engines are a tad more powerful then their usdm counter parts, so americans think they are getting a deal.

If you want to keep your engine, I would recommend a complete rebuild. This should be standard for anyone purchasing a jdm engine.
not every jdm motor is abused and requires a rebuild
just thought id clarify that.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (KAMiN)

Hmm.. so only Japanese people abuse engines...? Interesting...

not every jdm motor is abused and requires a rebuild
just thought id clarify that.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (B19CivicHB)

True, not all jdm engines are abused. But if you get one that has around 35K miles on it, and it smokes or turns your oil black, then chances are you got one that was.

And no, japanese people arent the only ones who abuse cars. But as I explained, it is much more likely that it was abused if it has around 35K miles and turns your oil black after only a few hundred miles.

Like I said before, you got a beat up jdm engine. A rebuild is probably in order.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you people smoking?

Hell, my prelude (purchased brand new) had black oil every time I changed it (always less than 3000 miles) running Mobil1. I thought oil changes color due to heat... not necessarily breakdown either.

If you're worried about it, get a compression test done and see what that says. It'll be the best way to determine the state of the engine.

Seriously, I have to wonder about you guys who tell him to rebuild the engine because the oil is dark
Old 07-03-2002, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: black oil??? (Dokta)

and turns your oil black after only a few hundred miles.
yea, a few hundred miles is another story... Anyway, I stick with my compression test recommendation.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: black oil??? (JeffS)

Yeah, I agree with Jeffs. I just assumed that someone would conduct a compression test before they rebuilt their engine.