Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B20vtec problem fixed/new question

Old 10-14-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20vtec problem fixed/new question

You may remember a while ago how my b20vtec was squirting oil out of the front left side of the block. Its all fixed now. The problem was in the machining, the finish was too "grainy" & also the block was low in one corner. This really f**ked me off because the machinist did not take responsibility for the problem.

Anyway I've had the motor rebuilt with a reskimmed head & block & everything is going good. I'm amazed with the torque of the b20 & it is one fun car to drive.

One thing that is bothering me is that when I hit vtec, there is a puff of smoke. Nothing major but it is visible sometimes. I've done approx 800kms on this motor since rebuild, & less than 20kms from the first time it was built till the oil squirting problem surfaced.

My question is would the rings have a problem reseating after such a short life? Or should I just wait & keep driving it to let the rings seal better? I have Endyn pistons & rings in this setup with an 84.5mm bore.

Please help, I'm hoping that the rings might not be sealed properly yet since I haven't racked up many kms.

Any ideas??
Old 10-14-2004, 05:32 PM
BANNED

Default Re: B20vtec problem fixed/new question (SIRCVC)

if u got these or any type of aftermarket pistons and rings it should of sealed in the first 25-30 minutes

I been through 3 rebuilds once cuz of rings so I am a bit informed and read alot of stories and articles regarding this problem

I would get a leakdown test or have it check out if it is puffing out smoke all the time if not only in vtec crossover

might be ur guides or something to do with the fuel also
Old 10-14-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: B20vtec problem fixed/new question (krazie1)

Thanks for the advice krazie1.

it's definitely only smoking @ vtec, not before. The valve guides are new also. The whole motor has been completely reconditioned.

What could be the problem with fuel? I'm running 98 pump gas. I was running H22a injectors but we've swapped over to b16a injectors for now because it was running too rich. It runs a little lean now but I will put the H22A ones back in once I'm ready to get it tuned.

The guy from Honda who rebuilt the motor second time around said he couldn't work out either why it was doing this.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: B20vtec problem fixed/new question (SIRCVC)

Anyone else have any ideas?