Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b20vtec???

Old 10-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20vtec???

hey,
i have a rather stupid and dumb question but i have to know this. other wise im just blowing up all my hard earned money on a non-reliable motor. im going to put a b20b motor with a 1st gen b16 head. all stock block and stock head. stock parts, internals, ...etc. just a stock b20vtec. now, how reliable is this? will my bottom end not be able to hold all the stress in a year or so. would the compression be to low if i stay stock? do i have to rev every time to at least 7500 rpm and up to feel the power and vtec kicking in?what must i do? i also know this - why not built the block/bottom-end and the head since the motor is not in the car yet? - if i had that much of $$$ i would definitly built the block/bottom-end and the head but now ive got JUST enough money (over budget already) for the stock frank. whats the least i can do for my block/bottom-end to have a strong block and will last me almost 4ever? btw, i dont drive hard and dont rev high. ive only reved twice to 6000 rpm and never higher than that in my car - stock d16y7 ofcourse. would port and polish, blue print, balance be enough for the block/bottom-end and the head? and how much $$$ will this cost? and what about the intake manifold or bore the throttle body to? ah! to much money!!! please help me.
thank you. very much appreciated.
maybe i can sqeeze another extra $1000 from somewhere to built the block and head. any info will help since i dont wanna do something stupid. btw, ive got all the stock parts already. project will start next week if staying stock. please help me.
thank you.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20vtec??? (ek44)

where to start?

there is NOTHING wrong with a B20VTEC!

the people who say they are cracking sleeves and breaking parts are running significant boost/compression.

if you aint building it to drag race all the time and just want a nice torquey engine with a bit of upper end zing, then the B20VTEC should be fine.

although, a B18C would be easier to put in (cause you dont have to muck around), with about as much performance...

get ARP rod bolts and head studs and make sure you dont skimp on parts and you should be able to run a reliable frankie...

that's my couple of cents.

t..
Old 10-05-2002, 04:18 PM

Default Re: b20vtec??? (tinkerbell)

there is NOTHING wrong with a B20VTEC!
I second that!

make sure you dont skimp on parts
That too!

I have had my stock B20Vtec in for 3 days now and Im still amazed the the amount of torque it has of my old LS/Vtec.