Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 01:05 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec?

Would it be harder to find a b20 block becuase im pretty sure that u can find a b18a block easy,but b20 would be better, and what would go better b16 head or b18c head?I heard that b18c has square combustion chamber and wouldnt have as high compression as a b16 would.And What if i just buy the B20 block...what else would i have to buy to put it in my 92 Civic CX..??
Old 08-06-2001, 01:47 PM
New User

Default Re: b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec? (SlooowEG)

a GSR head on a ls or B20 block will yeild higher compression than the B16 cylinder heads.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec? (EVOCELICA)

Higher compression yes, but who wants the crappy flow of a GSR over a b16a??? Go with the B16 and get yourself a set of new pistons. In order to make an LS/VTEC really peform you NEED to build it. If you're not willing to do this then you might as well go with a GSR or Spec R because you won't be happy with it otherwise.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:06 PM
New User

Default Re: b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec? (stizzit)

um, not sure where you heard a gsr has 'crappy flow' but that's bullshit.. stock gsr head will outperform a stock b16 head anyday.. sure a b16 can be ported to be extremely efficient, but how far are you going with your build? if it's staying close to stock, get a gsr head if you can afford it, but if you're going all out buy a cheaper b16 head and spend the saved money on porting.. sheesh, just cuz the b16 head is from the same cast as the itr head everyone assumes it's the same damn 'superior' head..

also, i've seen ls/vtec's with nothing but arp rod bolts, stock b16 head, ctr cams, and itr pistons turning low 13's.. doesn't sound too 'built' to me.. just assembled properly..

btw, i have an ls block for sale if you're interested slooooweg.. email me.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec? (bojangs)

GSR head is way better than B16A. Thats one reason why its so much more expensive. I would use the B20 block and spend the extra money. If done right, the car will be pretty fast. Plus with the B20 block, its going to be a newer motor, and there will be less chances of having problems. Also it should last longer because of the mileage.

BTW 90% of the fastest all motor cars use GSR heads. So you can use a B16A head because the ITR is from the same cast, or you could use a GSR head because its track proven. Its your choice.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you say that the GSR is better but you fail to mention why? Just because the b16a from the same casting doesn't mean that I think its better. Do you think there is a reason honda chose the ITR CASTING over the GSR casting for the TYPE R - oh wait a second they wanted to make the ITR fast but not too fast right (ROFL)??? Oh and BTW the type R head is far from superior. Believe it or not the first gen b16a is better in its stock form - much less core shift!! Take one of the SIR1's and rework it - you have one mean head. The type R is just a b16a with reworked bowls - thats all and there's a lot left to improve the flow of the head. Did i see 4 next to the word "Posts" ?? just checking. I feel they both have their advantages .. The gsr has no recessed quench pad vs. the b16a does however the b16a flows better IMO and has more potential if you're willing to do the work - if you're not then why are you even in this industry/hobby?? GZR4DR - The fastest cars don't always conform to the average thoughts - think that's maybe why they're faster? If you want to be like everyone else then go for it. Why the hell wouldn't you buy a b16a and port it for the same price or less than a GSR - maybe because your (not YOU but in general) lazy or just not good enough with the tools?? Their are gains to be had you'll never know about unless you try. Speaking of which i'll be comming home to a drying head that i finished reworking last night - thank god - what a bitch.

[Modified by stizzit, 11:05 AM 8/10/2001]

[Modified by stizzit, 11:07 AM 8/10/2001]
Old 08-10-2001, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bojangs - i think ET's are somewhat useless when you don't say what car they were posted in. I can run 13's in a hatch with a GSR motor or 15's in an integra. see a difference here??
Old 08-10-2001, 10:18 AM
New User

With all said and done if you get massive headwork done the B16A will end up being equal to a B18C that has had head work done also, but compairing stock heads, I would choose a GSR nicer combustion chamber and a better valvetran.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b20 w/vtec head or Ls/vtec? (EVOCELICA)

no doubt about it.. the B20 with the B16A head works brilliantly.. even in stock form! (just don't forget to check the valve and piston clearance.. you may need to scoop out a bit from the pistons if there's a collision)
Old 08-10-2001, 01:27 PM
New User

hmm.. that's funny.. i seem to remember saying "if it's staying stock, get a gsr head if you can afford it, but if you're going all out buy a cheaper b16 head and spend the saved money on porting." b16 heads DO flow well, and with the right porting even better, but i'm referring to stock vs. stock.. a gsr head will outperform a STOCK b16 head. try it.. buy a stock b16 motor.. dyno it, track it.. then replace the head with a STOCK gsr and go ahead.. the motor will make MORE power and run quicker with the gsr head..

you also say you should be willing to port a head and "if you're not then why are you even in this industry/hobby??" i didn't know you HAD to port a head to be in this industry. what about all the road racers running STOCK motors spending all their cash on real driving/track experience as opposed to dumping all their money into a car. personally i'd rather spend money driving at the track and gaining experience as opposed to dumping everything into a motor for a few more horses.. but that's me.. ****, sounds like you port your own heads tho so you don't have to worry about the extra costs.. more power to ya man!

and btw i didn't know the number of posts really mattered. i guess the last few years i've spent on other forums reading and posting makes no difference when i come here and post for the 4th time.. i guess i could go through and put a stupid reply to every message in here so i could raise my total closer to your standards.. then would i be worthy to answer if i had 170 total posts as opposed to your 150+?? trust me, there's plenty of people on here that prolly don't even know half of what you or i but have waaaaay more posts.. it's just a number dood..

and this was not meant to flame you stizzit.. i've read some of your stuff on the endyn board.. i know you know some shtuff..
Old 08-10-2001, 01:32 PM
New User

i was referring to a 90 dx crx.. ran a 13.2 on street tires.. wow, is there a difference between a hatch and an integra.. man, who'd a thunk it..