Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18C1 Overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C1 Overheating problems

just got the car wired, now thing is theres no cat/exhaust etc on, so im driving it , and the car overheats after about 10mins of driving! max temp!

i proceed to turn it off, check the hoses, fan, coolant level, etc, everything loooks fine, what could be the problem?

could the lack of having a cat and o2 sensor be cuasing the overheating?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B18C1 Overheating problems (hybrider93)

Is the fan coming on? Is there enough coolant?

There might be a bubble in the upper radiator hose. That happened to me and I swapped the thermostat and still had a prob.

If it over heats again, DO NOT shut the car all the way off. Kill the motor just run the heater to cool off the engine. You can warp the head and blow a head gasket if the engine overheats.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:07 AM

Do a pressure check on the cooling system you could have a small pin hole causing air pockets to get trapped in your cooling system. If you used plyers to remove some of those hoses from your old motor you could have damaged them without knowing it. Also check you fan temp sending unit located at your termostat. Short out the connections to keep it running all the time and drive it around and see if you have the same problem. You can also check your thermostat. Lastly get an C0 checker (?) and check if you are pushing out gasses through the steam of you radiator. This would assure that your head gasket is or is't leaking. I would probably bet on a hose/air pocket problem though.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C1 Overheating problems (KevW)

Have you bled you coolant real good, and try a thermostat, and if fans are kicking on right.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to answer your question, no the exhaust has nothing to do with this.. I ran around open header, daily driver, for a good 6mos, no problems (well, car-related )

Whenever there's a cooling problem, I love it.. This is a GOOD problem, since there's only a few things it could be.. any leakage? Make sure the rad is full, run the car for 30min until the fan blows*** come back later, refill it..

*** this is a good time to check to see if the thermostat is functioning.. Touch the lower hose.. If it's cold and the upper is hot, your thermo is fkd, replace it, goto step 1.. If it's hot like the upper one, your motor is fkd, email me, and I'll help u determine..

[Modified by HKxBlur, 5:13 PM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 09:27 AM
New User

Default Re: B18C1 Overheating problems (HKxBlur)

Experiencing the same problem. Everything was ok until I turned on my heater, Fan worked, checked coolant level, but no hot air coming out of the dash vents. Upper radiator hose and lower radiator hose were both hot. Temp went up all the way to high. Please help.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: B18C1 Overheating problems (0gsR)

I just fought this battle over the last few weeks. No coolant leaks, not thermostat, and fan jumperd on all the time. I tried running the car and letting the air bubbles out of the cooling system and ended up adding a whole bottle of coolant into the system. I know the system was not empty but yet it took a whole bottle. I figured it had to be either leaking or burning the coolant. With no visible leaks I decided to replace the head gasket. Turned out a be a bad head gasket. There were signs of coolant leaking from a coolant passages into the no.1 cylinder. The had gasket would be your last resort though, since it's the toughest to repair. Oh yeah, the car idled bad also.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:45 PM

Default Re: B18C1 Overheating problems (Pressurized)

Yes, the last resort is your head gasket, cause even if you do a comp. test it may test out fine, but could still be a faulty gasket. Everyone above mentioned bleeding out your coolant, thats step one, making sure your lower radiator hose is hot, step two now we know your t-stat is good, fans coming on step three, now we know there are no air pockets in your system and your theormostatic switch works as well, also as mention check for any leaks along the hoses and the coolant line (aluminum housing on back or block), and how old or how many miles has your water pump seen? That might be a seazed/faled w-pump.

good luck
Old 12-06-2001, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C1 Overheating problems (0gsR)

Experiencing the same problem. Everything was ok until I turned on my heater, Fan worked, checked coolant level, but no hot air coming out of the dash vents. Upper radiator hose and lower radiator hose were both hot. Temp went up all the way to high. Please help.
I just replaced the head gasket on an LS-motored EG coupe.. These are EXACTLY the same symptoms, and it turned out to be the head gasket also.. At first the temps rose only when the heater fan blower was switched on, but it eventually got to the point where the temps rose in traffic, knowing the cooling system was fine (topped off, thermo okay, etc etc)..