Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16a swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a swap issues

I just bought a used car, I live in Thailand right now, so chances are you're not familiar with the car, Its a 97 Honda City. Its basicly a stripped down civic. Its got a JDM 1st gen b16a, with intake, headers, and exhaust. Its also got an OS gilken clutch. Anyway the motor has some issues. At constant speed with constant throttle pressure it kinda throbs. Its not so bad at higher speeds, but in 1st or 2nd it wants to break traction and is just bucking like a horse or something. It idles fine with the air conditioning off, but with it on the idle bogs really low, and sometimes dies in traffic (with the air on). The speedo doesn't work, so from what I've read I'm thinking that at least the VSS is out. I've seen alot of references to pulling codes from the ECU to determine problems, but no info on how to actually do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GREG
Old 08-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16a swap issues (simplecat)

Well 1st off.. do you have a CEL-"Check Engine Light" on?

I had that problem with my D-series motor.. and I relized that my A/C was killing my car.. hahaha, I believe it has something to do with a couple of things.. IACV, Underdrive Belts or motor mounts..... Also check your tensioner's .. because one thing I did notice while I was replacing my Alt/crank belt... was that the Tensioner was a little loose...

I replaced all of those and it fixed my problem.. so Im not 100% sure exactly which one, but it helped out quite a bit..

Here's the Link of out to read CEL with the paperclip.......

http://www.bseries.net/html/garage/engcode.php

Hope that helps...