Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle breakage

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle breakage

Short story:
I broke my driver-side axle during a quick left U-turn, there is broken pieces inside of the boot next to the wheel. I also don't have a clue on which axles or intermediate shaft I have on my 92 h22a hatch. Anyone have a clue what could have caused this? I also need to get this repaired quick and is looking for replacement axles.

I should have more info what type of axles my car has very soon.

Longer Story(You don't have to read past here):
Yesterday I rose my car back to stock height.

Today, on my way to work making a quick left u-turn I hear a loud clank. I thought that the wheel took out my whole fender or something but when I checked, everything looked perfect. While at work I made a left turn and I hear a weaker version of that loud noise. I still thought that the wheel was rubbing something. Finally while leaving work, I made my final left turn and I hear loud crunches and the car stop moving.

Well, my driver-side axle can be spun by hand so I know this is bad. I check the boot near the driver-side wheel and it is leaking grease and feels like it has metal pieces in it. I know I need a new axle but I have another major problem. I do not know what kind of axles or intermediate shafts I have. Have anyone heard of axles breaking during turns?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Axle breakage (SeaQuake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaQuake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I broke my driver-side axle during a quick left U-turn, there is broken pieces inside of the boot next to the wheel.......

Anyone have a clue what could have caused this?.......

Yesterday I rose my car back to stock height.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say that this would probably be your problem. How much were you lowered? You said that you don't know what axle/intr. shaft combo you are using but do you know which mount kit? Excessively lowering an H22 powered EG/EK puts more added strain on the CV joints because you are creating more of an angle for the axles which binds the joints in sharp turns.
Talk to Poison or Newman since the are pretty much the authorities around here on H22 swaps. I've dealt with general issues but they would know a lot more on this subject. Chances are you are using the common Accord shaft with 90-93 Integra axles. It's always good to know your own setup.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle breakage (VTECVillain)

The car was risen back to almost stock height and I am using hasport mounts. I may go with the full raxles kit. I will be wasting extra money in purchasing the full kit as opposed to just the broken axle because I don't know what intermediate shaft to buy. My passenger-side axle if fine, just my driver-side cv joint is broken.

Should I go with raxles.com or driveshaftshop.com(DSS)?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:35 AM

Raxles axles are crap! I believe there were some pics posted a while ago on them in an h22 ek. Search the archives.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle breakage (dc2h22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Raxles axles are crap! I believe there were some pics posted a while ago on them in an h22 ek. Search the archives.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Talking about these?

Old 10-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-07-2003, 01:15 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did the axle break or did the outer cv joint pull/fall apart??
and to determine what axles/intermediate shaft you ahve jsut pull the ones you have on right now and take a look at them.
i had an 86-89 driver siode axle fail on medue to it being slightly too short for the ride height i was at. if i had been lower than i am it would not be an issue, but with my height it gradually pulled out and left me screwed on the side of the road 150 miles from nowhere.
you saying you went back to stock height made me think about how mine came apart, and switching to a slightly longere axle fixed it for me
Old 10-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did the axle break or did the outer cv joint pull/fall apart??
and to determine what axles/intermediate shaft you ahve jsut pull the ones you have on right now and take a look at them.
i had an 86-89 driver siode axle fail on medue to it being slightly too short for the ride height i was at. if i had been lower than i am it would not be an issue, but with my height it gradually pulled out and left me screwed on the side of the road 150 miles from nowhere.
you saying you went back to stock height made me think about how mine came apart, and switching to a slightly longere axle fixed it for me</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't taken them apart but something is wrong inside the cv joint. I found out that the axles are a mixture of 93-?? prelude and 94+ integra axles. I would say the prelude upper spindle and the rest of the axle is from a 94+ integra.

Would those axle cause the kind of problem that I am having???
Old 10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
RTFM

hard to say i wish i could answer better but i have only messed with 86-89 and 90-93 axles with accord/lude inners so far...
Old 10-07-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SeaQuake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaQuake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I haven't taken them apart but something is wrong inside the cv joint. I found out that the axles are a mixture of 93-?? prelude and 94+ integra axles. I would say the prelude upper spindle and the rest of the axle is from a 94+ integra.

Would those axle cause the kind of problem that I am having???</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what HCP recommends in their website for the passager side axle prelude head with the rest of the axles being a 94+ integra. which is good

now youre having problems with your driver side right------------- what combo is that with prelude or accord intermediate shaft?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H23vtecEG)

tyy this link for the info you need
http://www.hasport.com/Tech/In...H.htm
Old 10-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H23vtecEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23vtecEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats what HCP recommends in their website for the passager side axle prelude head with the rest of the axles being a 94+ integra. which is good

now youre having problems with your driver side right------------- what combo is that with prelude or accord intermediate shaft?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I made an error in that post. I am pretty sure that my axle setup is 94+ teg axles on the passenger side. Prelude mid-shaft and 94+ teg axles with 92-96 prelude inner joint.

I am using hasport mounts. I think that that the fact that I am using 94+ axles w/prelude inner joint instead of 86-89 teg axles w/prelude inner joint on the driverside is what caused the cv joint to go.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:39 AM
RTFM

i would not use the 86-89 axle if you are anywehre near stock height, i am only about an inch lowered and the axle being too short put too much stress on teh out cv and it literally pulled itself apart, since putting in the 90-93 axles it works a lot better for me so far.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaQuake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

HA!! my thoughts exactly. anyone wanna buy mine so i can step up to some dss.?... hehe
Old 10-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would not use the 86-89 axle if you are anywhere near stock height, i am only about an inch lowered and the axle being too short put too much stress on the out cv and it literally pulled itself apart, since putting in the 90-93 axles it works a lot better for me so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's kinda funny that you mention that. The axles happen to conveniently break at the outer cv joint the first time driving it after raising it back to stock height. I raised it to get rid of binding.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring something back from the dead but I've got another problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hard to say i wish i could answer better but i have only messed with 86-89 and 90-93 axles with accord/lude inners so far...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Using 90-93 axles and even running at stock height causes my driver-side axle to bind. When I even think of taking a bump or the slightest right turn I am in BIND CITY.

P.S. Does anyone know the cheapest route in getting passenger-side prelude inner-joints.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SeaQuake)

P.S. Does anyone know the cheapest route in getting passenger-side prelude inner-joints. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have some stock prelude axles, from a 2000 model. 25k on them... i didnt wanna sell em.. but i gess for the rite number, u can have em if u want? make me an offer?...
Old 10-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was actually just looking for the passenger-side inner joint. That would save money on on less parts and lower shipping.