Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual conversion

i have a 96 hatch dx, with auto tranny, but i want some power and i want a stick. What is the easiest swap to make it into a manual, and what all is necessary to do this?? i know the h22 is powerful and relatively ceap, is that swap any harder than any other like a b16a2?? i know that this would obviously be a big project and probably wont happen for a little while still but i just want to know what im looking at here...thanks

[Modified by LiLn81224, 6:31 PM 12/1/2002]
Old 11-29-2002, 10:01 PM

Default Re: auto to manual conversion (LiLn81224)

i have a 96 hatch dx, with auto tranny, but i want some power and i want a stick. What is the easiest swap to make it into an automatic, and what all is necessary to do this?? i know the h22 is powerful and relatively ceap, is that swap any harder than any other like a b16a2?? i know that this would obviously be a big project and probably wont happen for a little while still but i just want to know what im looking at here...thanks
The easiest swap would be an b18b since you wouldn't have to run extra wires for the vtec, then it would be the b16a,b18c, and h22. The h22 is not as cheap as you think. After you buy all of the mounts, and other neccessary stuff, it will prolly cost the same as an b18c. Your question asks about making it into an auto, but i am assuming by ur title that you want to convert it into a manual. If you get the whole swap, the auto to manual conversion is easy. You'll have to get the master cylinder and clutch pedal and the hard lines, or you can use braided stainless steel. I just finished putting a b18b in my 99 lx auto, and almost done with the manual conversion. Also next week, when my friend gets his h22, we will be installing it into his 99 hatch. It's not too hard, but unless you done it before, you will be running to the dealer, and automotive store for alot of parts and tools. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Re: auto to manual conversion (youngkow)

thanks....anyone else have any help?? i just want to know if this will be worth it because ive never done a swap before but i have a friend who has a car garage with all tools i would need. Also my car is not a vtec so how hard woul vtec wiring be?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto to manual conversion (LiLn81224)

When running the hardlines for the clutch, can you use them off ANY Civic? Or are they generation specific?...for example, can I use 5G lines in a 6G? It's rare to find wrecked 6G's around here still...and I want to keep the costs to a minimum.

I'm working on converting my wife's 98 EX as well. So, master cylinder/slave, hardlines, pedal assembly? Anything else? *Besides the ECU/shiftlinkage/axles*

*We really need a HOW-TO for this stuff since it comes up every other week. And NO ONE seems to know exactly what parts are needed and what to install. The Hybrid page's How-To leaves alot out....plus it was for a RHD Civic anyways. I mean, if we have write ups on how to shoehorn an H22 in a Civic, we can definitely get one on the Auto to Manual swap!* So, any volunteers?

I think once I get everything in order, I'll get a detailed write up to go with it.

[Modified by Prelude_RCR, 7:19 AM 12/2/2002]