Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 b20b4 in my 89hatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 b20b4 in my 89hatch

down at the junk yard the other day and a fresh kill came in a 97 crv looked inside and 28887 on the odomiter what all will i need for this swap to work i got a 91 b18a that has the intake and distributer on it and have herd that is all i need(short of mounts cable trany), is this true any help would be great as i need to get back with my friend at the yard early this week to get the moter and any websights on this would be great too. thanks ill look to night after the game to see if anybody could help me out
Old 02-04-2002, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 b20b4 in my 89hatch (89SivicHatch)

Swapping in a B20 is the same as swapping in a B18a. All the wiring and mounts and shiet are the same. You can use whatever you want off the B18a, dist, intake, ect.

Good find!!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Re: 97 b20b4 in my 89hatch (Trey)

THANKS FOR THE REPLY THANK IM GOING TO DO IT ANY BODY KNOW IF THE FLY WHEEL OFF THE LS MOTER WILL FIT THE AUTOMATIC CRV MOTER. I THANK THAT THIS IS THE WAY TO GO I WOULD PROBLY SPEND THE SAME AMOUNT REBUILDING THE LS TO MY SPECS AND SPEND A LOT MORE TIME THAN I WANT
Old 02-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were planning to rebuild the LS motor, the prices are the same for the B20 parts. The rods are the same but the pistons are bigger but the same price.

Keep the B20 crank

Use the flywheel and intake manifold, exhaust manifold (header is better). You should be fine.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:23 PM

Default Re: 97 b20b4 in my 89hatch (Trey)

well the ls moter has 198k on it so a full rebuild is brobly going to be needed and that with machine work could get costly and very time consuming as where the crv only has 28887 on so i could get buy with a timing belt and posibly a water pump if needed(depends on how much one is) and swaping the parts to the block and from what i have heard i can use the crv bottom and top end and just put the intakemanifold and distributer and probly som sensors off the ls moter and then use the ls computer. The only thing that bothers me is the crv is an automatic but i think the ls fly wheel will fit well i hope anyway after seein the torque and power curves for the b20 it made me deside and now ill do it what ever it takes. I have heard that you loose some of the torque with the ls intake manifold so if possible i may modify the hood to fit the b20 intake if it stays withe in the leagle limits of obstructions comming off the hood. In a car that weighs 2100 lbs and is only front wheel drive i beleive it will do what i want with out having to do too much internal work, and i was thinking of getting the stroker kit from crower for the ls and that thing alone more than justifies the price of the b20 and it needs no rebuild top or bottom end. dont think the old lady is too happy with my decision because the ls would be a gradual project and not use so much money at once but oooh well.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the B20 in a 92 hatch and I love it. The LS flywheel will work but I would assume with those kind of miles on it it would need to be resurfaced. Cool to see someone close to my area looking in to this setup, I am the only one that I know of around that has one.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:50 AM

Default Re: 97 b20b4 in my 89hatch (VTHokie)

hey cool to know that someone around here has done the swap iwent this morning to buy the moter and it should be out buy lunch tomaro<spell check ??. hey hokie if you are ever in roanoke stop buy the circit city i work in the road shop id like to see the car and install it sucks that i have to get a mount kit for my car but i can tale this moter to any other honda civic or integra if i decide to sell this one or get rid of it but i like the old school aspect of the ef. It would be cool to see how you got it set up wiring and everything and get some info on any posible problems that may arise. check this 2 minitus after i paid for the moter a insurance guy came in and wanted to buy the hole car but toooo bad (i was thinking while he was out there get your nerd beaters off my engin holder nerd smack) at least i got friends out there that didn't try to sell the moter out from under me. what computer did you use?intake manifold? distributer? im gettin the whole harness to the moter and the computer out of the the crv even if i have to cut the harnesses open and try to use the hole crv electronics hope this works if not ill go frome there.weel time to go to work ill keep it updated
P.S. if you stop buy my name is hugh so just ask for me i work in the install bay

[Modified by 89SivicHatch, 5:52 PM 2/5/2002]