Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

pros and cons of an s2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Unfortunate Clevland Sports Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons of an s2000

hey i just had some questions for you guys. My 01 type R was stolen about a year ago and i just bought an 03 malibu to hold me over until i decided on something else and could afford something else. Well my choices were either a s2000, g35, or a 3 series bmw. I think ive decided on going with the s. Im going to be looking for a used with lower mileage probably under 50k miles.

For the price would you recommend going with an 04 or newer. is there a huge difference from the first gen to the second gen? What are some pros and cons of the car? Are you happy owning the car or would you have gone with something else?

Also i wont be modding this car at all. ill be keeping bone stock. unlike with my R and spending 25k in mods alone

TIA
Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: pros and cons of an s2000 (GoodFella)

hello kind sir

so sorry to hear about your stolen type r

what is your budget?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you like the way your type r drove then i would go with the s.

see this thread to figure out which s is right for you

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2173176

ap1>ap2

Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went from an R to an S. Like with the R, I had a beater that I drove around. The S is a small 2 seater convertible, which is much much less practical than the R. I am 6' tall and if I were any taller, I would have hated the cramped space of the S (you can get lower seat brackets if you are taller, though). Trying to carry anything in the trunk is a joke. Beater is a must, IMO. There are kids on here that drive it as their only car, and yes you can do that, but not for me.

Power wise, they produce the exact same power. You will feel a better mid-range with the AP2 (has a 2.2L engine). People have reported faster times perhaps because of this, but the difference is really small. Besides, with the S2000, driver is 99%.

It is definitely faster (stock for stock) than the R. The R does have a more raw feel to it, though. Also, the braking on the R is superb. I mean, it's better than any car that I've driven. The S was a bit disappointing at first, but you get used to it. But, both cars were equally fun to drive. I can't pick a winner over the two. They both have their unique characteristics and puts a smile to your face.

I have been debating on getting another R or an S, but I think I will swing for the S. The main reason is because of the exact thing that you went through--theft. I can't count how many times ricers would try to race me on the highway, streets, etc. I got followed home, tail gated numerous times, etc. Always worried about the thing. It was not worth the ulcers and headaches. The S puts your mind at ease more. Still have to watch for thieves, but not as bad.

Go on S2ki and look at the marketplace. There are some 04+'s going for high teens.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p nut)

he is right, i would highly reccomend a beater if you get the s.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoodFella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also i wont be modding this car at all. ill be keeping bone stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I said. I held out for four years and finally SC'd it.

Can you just keep your Malibu as your alternative car? If so, I would just do that. I don't DD my S and I don't think I ever would. That's what my Fit is for.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (p nut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p nut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went from an R to an S. Like with the R, I had a beater that I drove around. The S is a small 2 seater convertible, which is much much less practical than the R. I am 6' tall and if I were any taller, I would have hated the cramped space of the S (you can get lower seat brackets if you are taller, though). Trying to carry anything in the trunk is a joke. Beater is a must, IMO. There are kids on here that drive it as their only car, and yes you can do that, but not for me.

Power wise, they produce the exact same power. You will feel a better mid-range with the AP2 (has a 2.2L engine). People have reported faster times perhaps because of this, but the difference is really small. Besides, with the S2000, driver is 99%.

It is definitely faster (stock for stock) than the R. The R does have a more raw feel to it, though. Also, the braking on the R is superb. I mean, it's better than any car that I've driven. The S was a bit disappointing at first, but you get used to it. But, both cars were equally fun to drive. I can't pick a winner over the two. They both have their unique characteristics and puts a smile to your face.

I have been debating on getting another R or an S, but I think I will swing for the S. The main reason is because of the exact thing that you went through--theft. I can't count how many times ricers would try to race me on the highway, streets, etc. I got followed home, tail gated numerous times, etc. Always worried about the thing. It was not worth the ulcers and headaches. The S puts your mind at ease more. Still have to watch for thieves, but not as bad.

Go on S2ki and look at the marketplace. There are some 04+'s going for high teens.</TD></TR></TABLE>

great post thanks for the info
and yea i cant stand the theives and ricers with the type r. plus mine was boosted with a jdm front and a ton of other mods so it was even worse. thats why i havent even thought about getting another R. the S would be my daily driver i dont want to have two cars anymore. although i may change my mind after i get the S i had a beater del sol when i had my R.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAF-FITI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello kind sir

so sorry to hear about your stolen type r

what is your budget?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks yea the R was stolen on valentines day over a year ago. the insurance company really screwed me and even investigated it like i had it stolen, **** faces! i loved that car and had a lot of time and money invested but its time to move on to bigger and better things

and my budget im looking to keep my payment under 350 a month. and i can probably get trade in value of about 5k for my car now.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i DD my S right now, but when i move i might get a beater for that.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Re: pros and cons of an s2000 (SuzukaBlueAP2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuzukaBlueAP2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I said. I held out for four years and finally SC'd it.

Can you just keep your Malibu as your alternative car? If so, I would just do that. I don't DD my S and I don't think I ever would. That's what my Fit is for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i could keep the mailbu for a beater but i think what ill do for now is sell the malibu (just more money down for the S) and probably get another 500-1000 dollar beater like i did with the R. its the spring now so the weather doesnt worry me but around winter ill probably get a beater.

only thing im not looking forward to is a payment

ive never had a payment before ive always bought my cars cash. but i think i can manage
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can go lease a 2008 for $350 a month if you qualify.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: pros and cons of an s2000 (SwampThing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can go lease a 2008 for $350 a month if you qualify.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a splendid idea
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can go lease a 2008 for $350 a month if you qualify.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please don't lease a car unless you drive 40k miles a year
why almost pay full price for a car and then give it back for nothing ???

i say go with an ap2, not because they are better but because they are newer and easier to get a loan on. if you like the simpler looks of the ap1, then get an '03 since it has the glass rear window, which doesn't crack like the pastic one on the older models.

good luck

Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Order of Merit

Default Re: pros and cons of an s2000 (joey1320)

if you drive 40k miles/year, you're gonna be paying out the *** for going over the allowed mileage on the car

leasing a car =

the 02-03 ap1's are the same, the 00-01's have a plastic rear window
Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joey1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

please don't lease a car unless you drive 40k miles a year
why almost pay full price for a car and then give it back for nothing ???

</TD></TR></TABLE> who said give it back? i did the lease option because i can buy it at the end of the 36 month lease term. it's cheaper this way then financing for purchase. im only paying the principal with the lease instead of interest.

seems smart to me, but then i've been accused on here of not being financially smart. guess you know more then me
Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM

yea the only way id lease is with the option to buy at the end of the lease. ill look into it and see what the price is. but i also dont mind just buying a used one with some miles on it and saving some money. how much are new ones going for?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM

also i really dont drive much a year im probably under 10k miles a year. although if i get the S that may change
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoodFella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea the only way id lease is with the option to buy at the end of the lease. ill look into it and see what the price is. but i also dont mind just buying a used one with some miles on it and saving some money. how much are new ones going for?</TD></TR></TABLE> http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx S2000 all the way at the bottom.

option to buy is automatic, price would be 19k at the end of the lease.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> who said give it back? i did the lease option because i can buy it at the end of the 36 month lease term. it's cheaper this way then financing for purchase. im only paying the principal with the lease instead of interest.

seems smart to me, but then i've been accused on here of not being financially smart. guess you know more then me </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are doing it that way then go for it, but you don't always have that option.

doing the math on the link you gave, after the lease is up, you will be owing about $19k for the car, so you will then have to either come up with the money or take out a loan for $19k, in which you will be paying interest on.

so you really don't save any money
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no cons only pros when it comes to this car. I couldnt see my self driving anyhting else.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (Black S2K)

i think im leaning more towards getting a used one rather than buying a new or leasing. you can get them in the high teens with good mileage and great condition. plus saving money FTMFW!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoodFella)

do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros and cons of an s2000 (GRAF-FITI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAF-FITI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sounds like a splendid idea</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahaha
Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joey1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you are doing it that way then go for it, but you don't always have that option.

doing the math on the link you gave, after the lease is up, you will be owing about $19k for the car, so you will then have to either come up with the money or take out a loan for $19k, in which you will be paying interest on.

so you really don't save any money </TD></TR></TABLE> ok are you retarded? seriously? if i was financing to buy, i would get like 5% on 35K. thats like a $550 payment a month. I AM PAYING NO INTEREST RIGHT NOW. i finance 19k for 2 years and my payments will be the same as they are right now. how the [freak] am i not saving money. it looks like im saying $200 a month by leasing.

you =
Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ok are you retarded? seriously? if i was financing to buy, i would get like 5% on 35K. thats like a $550 payment a month. I AM PAYING NO INTEREST RIGHT NOW. i finance 19k for 2 years and my payments will be the same as they are right now. how the [freak] am i not saving money. it looks like im saying $200 a month by leasing.

you = </TD></TR></TABLE>

aww now come on. stop being such a meany head.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you need a hug swapthing? here

Quick Reply: pros and cons of an s2000