Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Clutch Issues.... caution LONG

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issues.... caution LONG

For the last month or two I have been having problems with my clutch. The catch point was extremely high and the catch point would actually change. I brought the car to a Honda dealer and they looked at it, I told them I thought it was the slave cylinder and they looked at it and say it was working properly. I was told by the dealer that they would need to tear the clutch appart for further diagnostic which costs about $500 to take it appart and another $500 to put it back together. I would just replace the clutch and not worry but I had already changed my clutch in June of 07' at a different Honda dealer. I called American Honda Customer service to see what kind of help they could provide. I explained my story to them. When I got the clutch changed in 07' by a Honda dealer it never felt right and the dealer told me it was fine. This continued until July of this year where the clutch made the car almost undriveable.

Honda customer service told me they could not provide any assistance with the $500 diagnostic. I was told they may be able to pay for the repairs needed if it was determined I did not cause the clutch failure. I told them I thought that the dealer who had installed the clutch did an improper job which was causing the problems. At this point I asked if I could take the car to an outside mechanic with no Honda affiliations. They told me that would be fine but they could not warranty the work done by that shop but again they may cover the case if its not due to driver abuse/error. So I had my clutch changed at a shop in NH who did a great job. They found that the reason the clutch was not working properly was two things. When the clutch was installed lubricant was not used, they put some anti-seize on the throw out bearing but no lubricant. Also there was a huge gash in the slave cylinder that Honda had looked at and said worked perfect.

Since I had pictures to document everything and my old clutch with no lubricant on it I felt I had a good chance of getting my money back. I was wrong, it turns out the rep I was dealing with left Honda the day before I got my clutch changed. The new person I dealt with contradicted everything the previous rep had told me. She said, I would have had a chance of getting my case covered if I had the work done by Honda!! I was told the opposite. I had the call escalated and the supervisor also told me that if the clutch failed due to improper installation then it was that dealers job to help me not American Honda. I told them from the very first call I made that I thought the clutch was faulty due to improper installation.

Sorry if some of this does not make sense but I am really pissed, I will post pictures of all this unless I am boring everyone here.

The only question I have is would clutch failure occur if anti seize was used rather than the proper lubricant on the clutch?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Issues.... caution LONG (TypeR324)

Damn man. Sorry to hear that. I would hope to never have to haggle with a dealer. But I'm pretty sure there can be some way you can get your money back from them.

Are all your cars honda? If so then you could show them that you drive a lot of honda vehicles and are a valued customer. But that's all I can come up with in my drunken stage. lol

GL
Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my clutch is the same way...i am assuming it is my slave cylinder. Since i just bought one (going to throw in it this weekend), your post is a little more comforting to know that it could be the problem. thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA
Default Re: Clutch Issues.... caution LONG (ReddotsS2K)

1. Get a lawyer...
2. Have them write a letter to them explaining the what happened...
3. Sue them...

Money talks... try and get the current whereabouts of the person that used to work at honda that told u everything was ok... get his statement in writing and u sir have a case... they will settle out of court and you will walk away victorious...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Issues.... caution LONG (S2KILLA)

Most of my cars have been Honda and Acura's and all have come from dealers. Before I go to small claims court I am going to try and send an executive email carpet bomb. Its just a letter explaining my situation that will go to all the execs at American Honda, I put together about 40 email addresses.

Reddots I agree that your problem is the slave, I am just pissed that I had honda look at mine and they said it was fine. I gotta get the pics up that show the giant gash in the slave that Honda somehow overlooked.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with it. I agree with killa, your best bet is to find the guy who left honda. Chances are he wont stick up for them if he is no longer with them.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA
Default Re: Clutch Issues.... caution LONG (ReddotsS2K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReddotsS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good luck with it. I agree with killa, your best bet is to find the guy who left honda. Chances are he wont stick up for them if he is no longer with them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly...