Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!??????

Ok....so after practically takin my head apart....I checked my cam timing etc.....took off my vtec solenoid to see if it was dirty/clogged maybe......checked valve clearance.....and after all of this I still dont understand why my car is so F'ed up.

I must have the only h22/civic in the world that struggles to beat b-series cars. My friend that rode with me tonight said that his friends lude pulls hard in vtec. Now maybe its just me but it feels really good in vtec....but he said that his friends felt better.......Could it be? an h22-hatchback feeling weaker than a prelude? I seriously need help......this SUCKS!!!

Also I need to ask you guys a quick question. When your car is in VTEC does the intake noise resemble a B series? Does it get Really loud?

F' this.....I want an ITR motor
Mark
Old 11-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (SlvrEj6Dx)

Ok....so after practically takin my head apart....I checked my cam timing etc.....took off my vtec solenoid to see if it was dirty/clogged maybe......checked valve clearance.....and after all of this I still dont understand why my car is so F'ed up.

I must have the only h22/civic in the world that struggles to beat b-series cars. My friend that rode with me tonight said that his friends lude pulls hard in vtec. Now maybe its just me but it feels really good in vtec....but he said that his friends felt better.......Could it be? an h22-hatchback feeling weaker than a prelude? I seriously need help......this SUCKS!!!

Also I need to ask you guys a quick question. When your car is in VTEC does the intake noise resemble a B series? Does it get Really loud?

F' this.....I want an ITR motor
Mark
smirk....
Old 11-24-2002, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whu don't you just compare dyno graphs to those of similarly modded H22a's
Old 11-24-2002, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (piotrush)

yeah man, it's pretty loud on mine. and it pulls crazy shiat yo. of course CAI adds to the volume of vtec. I haven't really heard b series vtec cept for ITR, and i know nothing gets louder than that b18c5 in vtec.

[Modified by visualvb, 4:25 AM 11/24/2002]
Old 11-24-2002, 06:38 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (visualvb)

yeah man, it's pretty loud on mine. and it pulls crazy shiat yo. of course CAI adds to the volume of vtec. I haven't really heard b series vtec cept for ITR, and i know nothing gets louder than that b18c5 in vtec.
ever heard an RSX ype S with a full catback exhaust, header, and CAI...... it's loud a f*ck

back to the point...i know that with my exhaust and CAI, VTEC engading on mt Lude was very niticeable, it was fairly loud, and it was obviously a power increase... i ask you this, what year H22 do you have, and what year is your friend's friend's Lude? the newer ones (5th gens) have a slightly more agressive cam profile, and yes, VTEC engaing on a 5th gen is more obvious than on a 4th gen VTEC, not neccasarily better, but more audible anyways

[Modified by Boosted97Lude, 10:42 AM 11/24/2002]
Old 11-24-2002, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (Boosted97Lude)

what year H22 do you have, and what year is your friend's friend's Lude?
my motor is from a 99'......and I am assuming that the other lude is a 97+.

I am seriously stumped.......when I get on it, and it switches over to VTEC my exhaust gets super loud.....but the intake noise hardly changes at all......I also was looking at my cams when the valve cover was off and it seemed that the vtec lobe on the intake cam looked like it hasnt been touched......and it seems that the exhaust is worn more on the vtec lobe......

Whu don't you just compare dyno graphs to those of similarly modded H22a's
That what I was thinking.......If I could find one with a wideband O2......then I could diagnose it from there.......

Mark

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 5:32 PM 11/24/2002]
Old 11-24-2002, 09:46 AM

I don't know why your car wouldn't seem to pull as hard as, or more than, any Prelude to be quite honest. I know the sound you are talking about in the B series though. My buddy's B16 was ungodly--I mean it sounded like it went from inline 4 to straight bike mode. The H series doesn't make that distinct change over, it just gets slightly louder--that's not to say it's not noticeable though--whereas the B series sounds almost like it's a different car in VTEC, lol
Old 11-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (typeSwarrior)

Dude, don't trust "my friend's grandmothers dogs last owner's half-sister third cousin" stories, especially with complemented with butt dynos. When is your vtec engaging? Do you have the secondaries opening up? But trust me, you are the slowest h22 civic, that would be me lol.. I put mine in a damn heavy *** civic ex coupe with AC AND it has a shifting problem..
Old 11-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the newer ones (5th gens) have a slightly more agressive cam profile, and yes, VTEC engaing on a 5th gen is more obvious than on a 4th gen VTEC, not neccasarily better, but more audible anyways
Where did you get that? An SH has a more agressive cam profile, but where is your info on the stock cam profiles? And a 5th gen VTEC sound is louder? Hardly, in stock form you can barely hear it until you slap on an intake..
Old 11-24-2002, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (satan_srv)

I thought 97 up had a more aggressive profile as well thats why...

4th gen makes 190hp
97 5th gen makes 195
98+ 5th gen makes 200
Old 11-24-2002, 01:01 PM
New User

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (dsludefosho)

buttdynos dont tell you ****. get it on a real dyno.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:05 PM

I am seriously stumped.......when I get on it, and it switches over to VTEC my exhaust gets super loud.....but the intake noise hardly changes at all......I also was looking at my cams when the valve cover was off and it seemed that the vtec lobe on the intake cam looked like it hasnt been touched......and it seems that the exhaust is worn more on the vtec lobe......
maybe the vtec locking pins are broken/missing and vtec isn't kicking in on the intake side
and only on the exhaust side???
has anyone ever tore this motor apart/rebuilts it maybe they forgot to install lockign pins on the intake side... i dunno its just a thought
Old 11-24-2002, 03:15 PM

ever heard an RSX ype S with a full catback exhaust, header, and CAI...... it's loud a f*ck
naww man never hand the pleasure..ima try and get videos of it now.. if u got any recorded sounds or good vids with vtec enganging on rsx.. send em my way plz... thanks tho. cant wait..

and btw vtec on 4th gens is very noticable, atleast on mine. I got only a CAI, and **** does it pulll and roar! also, any other ways to increase the vtec noise? exhaust?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (dirtyazn)

When is your vtec engaging? Do you have the secondaries opening up? But trust me, you are the slowest h22 civic, that would be me lol.. I put mine in a damn heavy *** civic ex coupe with AC AND it has a shifting problem..
My vtec engages @5500ish.....and yes I do have my IAB's working. And....I beg to differ as I have been to the track and only managed a 15.1@91 with A/c on 17's

Also....I think I might be able to solve your shifting problems that you have had. If I was you I would go get some new shifter cables. There $288 from honda.....but I only paid $100 from a junk yard. While I was racing someone in my car the shifter jammed and wouldnt go into gear.....I had to coast and pull in a parking lot.....I played with it for a while and finally got it to into 2nd & 4th.......turns out my shifter cables were screwed.....If I was you....that what I would be looking for

maybe the vtec locking pins are broken/missing and vtec isn't kicking in on the intake side and only on the exhaust side???
I am almost to the point of taking the head apart to see...

Thanks,
Mark

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 12:20 AM 11/25/2002]
Old 11-24-2002, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (dsludefosho)

I thought 97 up had a more aggressive profile as well thats why...

4th gen makes 190hp
97 5th gen makes 195
98+ 5th gen makes 200
That's made up marketing as far as I'm concerned. In Japanprelude VTECs had the same power output from 1992-2001, 200ps. It's not cam profile, although the SH did get a little extra for some reason. Dynos tell the truth.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Boostless97Lude

Where did you get that? An SH has a more agressive cam profile, but where is your info on the stock cam profiles? And a 5th gen VTEC sound is louder? Hardly, in stock form you can barely hear it until you slap on an intake..
i meant that the SH has more aggressive cams... and my 5th gen was pretty noticeable bone stock.... the night i drove it off the lot my buddy in his GSR and i raced down the highway, and he EVERY bolt on for it, and i still pulled on him, and he said that i had a mean sounding VTEC
Old 11-25-2002, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your 17s are killing you, but your trap speeds should be easily over 100mph...your motors not making power like it should, try unplugging your secondaires....that way you know for sure that they are opening up, cuz if they dont open, you arent gonna make much top end power..also it doesnt hurt to have them open all the time, mine runs great...i run over100mph in the 1/4 and im in a 4th gen prelude...peace
Old 11-25-2002, 05:16 AM

Okay I need some info first off. What intake do you have on the car, and at what RPM do you get a cutoff at.. ?? Get back to me and I will see if i can help you out.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually I think it's easier to tell the difference between VTEC and non on a 5th gen with the factory air intake on. Granted there's more power with the intake and such, but because there's already more airflow before the VTEC the difference isn't as great (remember, with the factory setup you not only have the EGR messing with the air flow, you also have the intake runners.. and with all that combined, the sound difference is more noticeable.. to me anyhow).. and no, H22's don't sound like the B series. That's one thing I wish it did sound like.. any clue on what i'd need to do to accomplish this? My friends Si (b16 of course) stripped with an AEM, DC header, Thermal exhaust.. when he would go thru town and hit VTEC.. wow. People would look, and I Dont' think it was because of "wow that sounds like a cool car!" but more of a "OH ****, WHAT'S THAT THAT"S ABOUT TO BLOW UP??"
Old 11-25-2002, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (rjr162)

I think that is because the b-series engines vtec comes in @4k~ish with their secondaries opening up later while it's visa versa for the ludes.. They do sound nasty like when they really get going though. Too bad the b16 has no torque.. Beside I would rather be quieter and know that I am moving somewhere than just appear to be doing so.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (Jason kiDD)

your 17s are killing you, but your trap speeds should be easily over 100mph...your motors not making power like it should, try unplugging your secondaires....that way you know for sure that they are opening up, cuz if they dont open, you arent gonna make much top end power..also it doesnt hurt to have them open all the time, mine runs great...i run over100mph in the 1/4 and im in a 4th gen prelude...peace
Thanks but my secondaries are opening You can sit there and rev it to watch if they are......and they do.

The thing is that I am trying to stay OBD2......but I am seriously thinking about switching back to OBD1 and seeing what happens......

Mark

Old 11-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ummmm, i had that problem in my 5th gen like the vtec kicks in really week.. Make sure you have your vtec engage ment at stock as in prelude stock i think it kicks in at 5200 and 5600 rpms.. it's dual stage vtec. if you lower your vtec engagement make sure you add more fuel to compensate for Vtec or else your cams will kick in but there isn't enough fuel to do anything. Also check your oil, oil change can make your vtec kick in a lil harder if you haven't changed it for a while. and a CAI will help out alot too..
Old 11-25-2002, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the newer ones (5th gens) have a slightly more agressive cam profile, and yes, VTEC engaing on a 5th gen is more obvious than on a 4th gen VTEC, not neccasarily better, but more audible anyways

An SH does not have a more agreesive cam profile... a H22A spec S does.. Its the JDM type S motor.. An SH has the same h22A4 as a base.. And a 5th gen lude has the same exact motor as the 4th gen vtec why would the 5th gen kick in louder???
Old 11-25-2002, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (1fast5gp)

4th gen and 5th gen motors are far from the same. The blocks are different and being ODB II for the latter gen does change some emmsions charactersitics.. Now does it really matter on which vtec kicks harder/louder its up to you to decide..

I do know that anyone that has heard my Type S engine says it sounds remarkably stronger than any other lude engine they have heard. And I dont even have a CAI, just a generic short ram..
Old 11-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!?????? (Jason kiDD)

4th gen and 5th gen motors are far from the same. The blocks are different and being ODB II for the latter gen does change some emmsions charactersitics.. Now does it really matter on which vtec kicks harder/louder its up to you to decide..

I do know that anyone that has heard my Type S engine says it sounds remarkably stronger than any other lude engine they have heard. And I dont even have a CAI, just a generic short ram..
The 4th Gen Vtec Engine is te same as the 5th gens.. The blocks are the same both have h22 blocks. On the other hand the prelude Si does have a differnt block, but we are nothing talking about the Si are we?? i don't think so... And Yes your Type S engine should be alot louder then a Base.. because you got a full port and polish from honda, bigger exhaust piping, bored out throttle body and intake manifold, and more aggresive cams.. it's the same reason why Type R are so loud

Quick Reply: Vtec is Weak WTF!!!!!??????