Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

tweeter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tweeter replacement

my tweeters are junk in my 95 si and i was looking into gettin aftermarket ones, well i came across a 3 in full range speaker by rockford fosgate, do you think i could some how custom install it behind the tweeter cover
Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: tweeter replacement (Jordans95si)

Yes, anything speaker wise can be customized to fit.. But when my tweets went I said f*%^&^ em... I just dont like aftermarket tweet sound, way to high pitched makes my head hurt... Id just get some 4 way 6x9's and 61/2's or whatever 4th gens take get a 3way in the front, then you dont need tweets... promise.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: tweeter replacement (revlimitx04)

i've got rockford all the way around...power, idk if they are 4 way or w/e but tehy are pretty good, i just thought that would be sweet to have the little 3 in speakers up there
Old 11-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tweeter replacement (Jordans95si)

i have soundstream component 6 1/2's in the front. love them to death.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: tweeter replacement (plikit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jordans95si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've got rockford all the way around...power, idk if they are 4 way or w/e but tehy are pretty good, i just thought that would be sweet to have the little 3 in speakers up there</TD></TR></TABLE>

Diffrence between 2-3-4 way speakers is quality, you have more speakers in one basically. If you must have tweeters make sure to put them on a crossover for extreme highs or they'll blow agian and your hurt your head. Id suggest just ditching the tweets, there only good for the tiny tiny tiny pieces of music youd not even notice normally if your not a sound conasour. I for one am running all around eclipse point source 4ways with a alpine 4chn powering my mid-to-high range speakers, and I love the quality over stock. Just my opinion but if your not way way way into speakers dont use tweets, because you almost always need a crossover on them and correct tuning.

PS: I still dont like tweeters.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd recommend against using 3-ways or 4-ways in one speaker location, it's much better to use separate components. Lots of little drivers piled on top of the large cone compromise its output, and the big cone is what produces most of your sound anyway. Just get a nice-*** pair of components for the front (don't worry about the rear at all) and put the tweeter either in the stock location or somewhere down on the floor, if it's too aggressive.

Putting a 3" speaker in the dash would be very complicated, because if you were using it for treble and upper midrange only, you would have to find a crossover with the right cutoff point. You would also want to low-pass the speaker in the door, so it wouldn't interfere with the highs. This involves buying a bunch of audiophile equipment, probably meaning active crossovers and a 4-channel amp, all of which have to be wired to the battery.

If you just want to send the full range to this 3" driver in the dash, it will make zero bass at all and probably very weak lower midrange, so even if you have a sub you will have a big gap in frequency response in the lower mids.

I think the second option is the best and very viable for sound quality, but not cheap and certainly not simple.

Dan
Old 11-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, can you give us a link to this 3-inch speaker so we can see the specs?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (LudemanDan)

I doubt the Rockford 3" Speaker would fit, they have hugee magnets, though if you got it to fit it would sound good.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:34 PM

A 3 way or 4 way speaker will come no where near the sound quality a seperate component set would. You complain about tweeters being too high, but you just don't have your setup properly tuned to appreciate tweeters. Money can't buy everything, you have to be able to properly set up and tune what you have as well.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:45 PM

I actually have a Kicker Resolution 4" midrange in the dash of my 93. Took a lot of work with fibreglass to build the mounting plate but it does fit. I also replaced the stock tweeter with the one from my Focal 6" component set. So I end up with 6" in my door, 4" and tweeter in my dash. Helps that I have a digital equalizer to tune it properly, I used to compete in car audio.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i jammed 3x5 2way pioneers behind my 4th gen tweeter covers.....they sound great

they get muffled bigtime by the covers though...with the covers off i bump y0
Old 11-20-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (mgags7)

can anyone enlighten me on how they got speakers to mount in there? i could fit the speaker in but im kinda stumped on how to make it mount up,
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (Jordans95si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lude_behavior &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A 3 way or 4 way speaker will come no where near the sound quality a seperate component set would. You complain about tweeters being too high, but you just don't have your setup properly tuned to appreciate tweeters. Money can't buy everything, you have to be able to properly set up and tune what you have as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excuse me? I already stated that youd need a good tune and a crossover on the tweeter. Read my post alittle more in detail and stop preaching to the chior. I told him if he isnt into speakers that much stay away from tweeters, because he wouldnt know how to set it up. damn man pay attention.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: tweeter replacement (LudemanDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd recommend against using 3-ways or 4-ways in one speaker location, it's much better to use separate components. Lots of little drivers piled on top of the large cone compromise its output, and the big cone is what produces most of your sound anyway. Just get a nice-*** pair of components for the front (don't worry about the rear at all) and put the tweeter either in the stock location or somewhere down on the floor, if it's too aggressive.

Putting a 3" speaker in the dash would be very complicated, because if you were using it for treble and upper midrange only, you would have to find a crossover with the right cutoff point. You would also want to low-pass the speaker in the door, so it wouldn't interfere with the highs. This involves buying a bunch of audiophile equipment, probably meaning active crossovers and a 4-channel amp, all of which have to be wired to the battery.

If you just want to send the full range to this 3" driver in the dash, it will make zero bass at all and probably very weak lower midrange, so even if you have a sub you will have a big gap in frequency response in the lower mids.

I think the second option is the best and very viable for sound quality, but not cheap and certainly not simple.

Dan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dan, Okay maybe 3way or 4ways in rockford or whatever brand youve heard are compromised but the eclipse point source's have won many many awards and sound very nice. I told him that tweeters are a complicated setup to get right, so he would want to stay away from that, EVEN if the sound quality wouldnt be as good he still will have a proper setup if he ran midranges instead of a high frequency tweeter that isnt tuned and doesnt have a amp or cross over.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EVEN if the sound quality wouldnt be as good he still will have a proper setup if he ran midranges instead of a high frequency tweeter that isnt tuned and doesnt have a amp or cross over. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Careful with that. If you run midranges in the dash without high-passing them below their capable frequency, you run the risk of blowing them with the bass signal.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM

can anyone help me with custom install on this
Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine arent mounted at all....they rattle a good bit....but i cant figure out a good way to mount them...

to be honest i havent really tried much....i just jammed them in there....i got em for free....
Old 11-21-2005, 12:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Careful with that. If you run midranges in the dash without high-passing them below their capable frequency, you run the risk of blowing them with the bass signal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then agian im runnning an alpine 4 chn powering my midranges with a built in crossover.. So yes your right but I dont have that problem, if he tuned it right which isnt to hard to do, it would be fine, but I think its stock, so Id just ditch the tweets all togather until he could afford a headunit and what not. But im done with this conversation, it isnt even H-T qualty. This is speakers were talking about.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 PM

For the install all I did was cut a piece of 1/2" Mdf to fit into the area large enough to hold the speaker. I then wrapped the rest of the area in duct tape and then fibreglassed the area. Duct tape acts as a release. Once dried remove the fibreglass, cut the hole and you have a panel custom sized to fit into the dash location.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: (bgm93srv)

pics?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:26 PM

Unfortunately car is in storage, I live up in the Great white north we call Canada. It gets to sleep until March.