Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Rust !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust !!!

Hey guys, I bought a used 97 lude couple months ago and the previous owner had a plastic where the arrows are, I removed it and surprise there is rust everywhere! I tried to remove the rust by hand with sandpaper but there is just too much, and now the metal is eaten almost completly away in some spots, its only on the inner part. Now what are my options to fix this and how much you guys think its gonna cost to get rid of it. I guess cutting and welding another piece will be inevitable?

Sry I jacked an image from the prelude pictures forum, but it was the one with the best angle

Thanks for your help
Old 09-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Rust !!! (jardolei)

bump... any ideas on cost to fix this?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump

Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust !!! (All-Motor-Junkie)

what sedan are you talking about.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Rust !!! (nonvteclude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvteclude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what sedan are you talking about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What?

IMO take it to a professional auto body and have them fix it. If you really want to stop it thats the only way.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Rust !!! (My292Ludes)

Yeah I though about that, but my real question was about how much will it cost me to get this job done?

Whats with the sedan thing?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nvm there was a guy that said "you should have bought the sedan" thats what i was talking about
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 AM

Well the cost really depends on your location and the shop you go to. I had an estimate done for $400 to fix rust on a rear quarter panel. That included cutting welding and painting. But the same job could have cost $800 accross the street. So you need to go to as many places as you can and get in person estimates. And after you go to them al and find your lowest estimate. Take the lowest estimate to the place you would like to have it done at and try to get them to price match.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Rust !!! (My292Ludes)

Damn $400 to $800, thats expensive, and I have to do both sides and winters coming in a couple of months so I have to also get winter tires... This is gonna cost me a fortune but thanks for the info
Nows the time to save up!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an offer for 600 both sides, but its a friend of mine, and they will always paint the entire quarter panels as well ,but he said normally he'd charge about that for each side seperately, and this is a top quality shop
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Rust !!! (msinsky14)

Rust is expensive to fix. The reason being that bodywork is boring and tedious work. You have to really take your time if you want a good finished product so it takes forever.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:39 AM

just goto a junkyard and find a new rear 1/4 in good shape, take it and the car to the body shop. probally will be cheaper than fixin rust there.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Beau Gotti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msinsky14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got an offer for 600 both sides, but its a friend of mine, and they will always paint the entire quarter panels as well ,but he said normally he'd charge about that for each side seperately, and this is a top quality shop</TD></TR></TABLE>

600 bucks is a damn good deal.. there's alot of work that needs to be done to have it coming out looking nice. Like he said you need to paint the entire quater panel. two quater panels repainted is around 1000 dollars and then to remove rust and depending on how much they have to grind away. body work isn't cheap.. most places charge anywhere from 25-35 dollars a hour.. I would say thats a 20-30 hour project. and the hours thats just the man time you have to think of supplies and paint. :D
Old 09-12-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Re: (tacticalcustoms)

My paint job is the original one, so if I get this fixed, will they be able to match the paint from the rest of the car? It would be pretty ugly to have 2 rear quarter panels with nice paint and the rest is still the old paint!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you agree to his answer but ask the same question again? I am willing to bet the body shop will tell you how much it will cost to fix it....it's a new thing some shops are doing called "ESTIMATES". Someone here that knows what their doing will give you a low answer and then when you try it yourself and eff it all up you'll wish you would have let a pro do it for the right price.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Rust !!! (godslayer)

Yeah i paid about $550 for my 4th gen LUCKILY cause the junkyard they get parts from had a 4th gen sittin in the yard (rare in Virginia). The longer you wait...the more expensive...i would get it fixed as soon as possible sir.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tacticalcustoms)

I kno, that includes full painting of both quarter panels, rust fixed with new metal and fiberglass. he'd normally charge about 1200 for that, but he's doing it for me that cheap b/c hes a nice guy.

and by the way, he can color match very well, I've seen his work
Old 09-12-2006, 02:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jardolei &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, I bought a used 97 lude couple months ago and the previous owner had a plastic where the arrows are, I removed it and surprise there is rust everywhere! I tried to remove the rust by hand with sandpaper but there is just too much, and now the metal is eaten almost completly away in some spots, its only on the inner part. Now what are my options to fix this and how much you guys think its gonna cost to get rid of it. I guess cutting and welding another piece will be inevitable?

Sry I jacked an image from the prelude pictures forum, but it was the one with the best angle

Thanks for your help</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you say "only the inner part" do you mean just the small lip that runs parallel to the tire? that small lip can be cut off with no negative effects.

You can basically fix it yourself for $10 in paint. Cut the rusty stuff off/grind it off with a cutting wheel/grinder. sand it smooth. paint it with primer. put on a light coat of topcoat (doesn't even matter if it matches your paint if its just going to get covered up by the rubber trim). you're done.

if the rust is visible with the trim on - if its on the vertical surface of the quarter panel - then you'll be dealing with the big $$ that everyone has been talking about above.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust !!! (HxClude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HxClude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you say "only the inner part" do you mean just the small lip that runs parallel to the tire? that small lip can be cut off with no negative effects.

You can basically fix it yourself for $10 in paint. Cut the rusty stuff off/grind it off with a cutting wheel/grinder. sand it smooth. paint it with primer. put on a light coat of topcoat (doesn't even matter if it matches your paint if its just going to get covered up by the rubber trim). you're done.

if the rust is visible with the trim on - if its on the vertical surface of the quarter panel - then you'll be dealing with the big $$ that everyone has been talking about above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what I would do if money was a problem
Old 09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust !!! (tacticalcustoms)

i say good luck on fixing the rust i am in the same process but luckly for me my friend owns a body shop and will fix my rust for a hondata and a notebook. Oh yeah hes painting the whole car over i am thinking jet black with metal flake in it.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:03 AM

i had a fiend fix my rust on my 92at the same time we shaved emblems, did all bodywork in sight and a new coat of NHBP and only charged me 300 and i paid for paint and supplies
Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (hp92lude)

Now all I need is a friend like that!
Or I might just go with what HxClude said. Its gonna be a lot cheaper

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HxClude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you say "only the inner part" do you mean just the small lip that runs parallel to the tire? that small lip can be cut off with no negative effects.

if the rust is visible with the trim on - if its on the vertical surface of the quarter panel - then you'll be dealing with the big $$ that everyone has been talking about above.
</TD></TR></TABLE>